Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2016 3:02:45 PM EDT
Has anyone or does anyone use the 308 168g BTHP match bullet on deer? Or other game? What were your findings??
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 3:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never used a match bullet of any kind to hunt large game with.  

I have used the 69gr SMK on Coyote and have had mixed results.  If bone was hit or the coyote was close the bullets expanded violently.  If I didn't hit a shoulder and they were further out then it seemed the bullet would zip through and the dogs would run.  Found a few but most of the time I didn't find them.  

In my opinion there are to many good hunting bullets out there now that are meant for hunting.  I'm not going to take a chance and wound a large game animal and lose it when I could've used a bullet meant for hunting.  

The .308 is a medium velocity caliber and using something like a Ballistic Tip hunting bullet, Hornady SST, or other lightly constructed cup and core bullet will work fine.   Or you could use something like the Berger Match Hunting Bullets.  I've never used Berger for anything larger than Varmint so I can't speak to the effectiveness on large game.  However my friends father just shot an Elk at slightly further than 1200yds with a 210gr fired from his 300 Win Mag.  Had to track it a bit but they were able to put it down.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I had poor results with 69smks on coyotes like the poster above.  Would expect unreliable results with 168s on med game.  There are better bullets specifically designed for hunting.  The 'hollow point' on a match bullet is not there to help with expansion.  Rather its a byproduct of the manufacturing process of drawing the bullet jacket from the base.   Great for consistent ballistics, sub optimal for hunting.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
What about the Amax  red tip 168g?
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Nosler makes a Ballistic Tip in 168 gr. variety.  They fly pretty much the same as BTHP Match bullets in my bolt gun.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It would be better, but is still constructed as a match bullet, so still may not be ideal for expansion.  Its best to use a dedicated hunting bullet, and you can still find some that come close to match accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Works fine in a 30-06, as the thin match jackets tend to shed, but the heavy(ish) weight still lets it penetrate.  It'll wipe out a 300 # hog no problem, so it'll sure as shit take out a deer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Sierra states that the Match Kings are not intended as a game bullet.  Why would you use one when there are so many good bullets designed to work on deer?
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Almost any bullet will kill deer.  However, some are much more reliable than others....  The BTHP 168 is a match bullet, designed for shooting holes in paper.  Those that make this bullet, especially Sierra, are quite honest about it:  This bullet is NOT recommended for big game hunting.  Period.

Despite this, there are many who insist on trying to use it for deer.  It will work....  Until it doesnt.  Instead of a quick clean kill, you'll get a lingering, slow death.  Not a good idea.

There are literally dozens and dozens of VERY good deer bullets.  Many of them are very very accurate.  Use one of those.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I use nosler ballistic silver tip in 168.

Almost exact same dope out to 500 yds as the smk.

Great bullet.

Txl
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Ice pick wound on deer.  

Use a premium expanding bullet.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#11]
As others have said , Sierra does not reccomend the MKs on game,They make a pretty extensive line of "Game Kings" and if you look at them I am guessing they make something quite similar to the 168SMK.

Won't fly quite as good as the MK but Sierra doesn't mess about and makes good bullets
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As others have said , Sierra does not reccomend the MKs on game,They make a pretty extensive line of "Game Kings" and if you look at them I am guessing they make something quite similar to the 168SMK.

Won't fly quite as good as the MK but Sierra doesn't mess about and makes good bullets
View Quote

Sierra makes a 165gr Game King BTHP, I believe Federal loads it.  I've shot a couple of antelope with them (handloads). They worked.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sierra makes a 165gr Game King BTHP, I believe Federal loads it.  I've shot a couple of antelope with them (handloads). They worked.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You are right.  Here is a little product info. Midway actually has them on sale right now (I'm not affiliated in any way).   Looks like the BC is a bit worse than the 168 as expected with the larger hollow point cavity.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/326863/sierra-gameking-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-165-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail-box-of-100

Technical Information •Caliber: 30
•Bullet Diameter: .308"
•Bullet Weight: 165 Grains
•Bullet Style: Hollow Point Boat Tail

Ballistics Information:
•Sectional Density: 0.248
•Ballistics Coefficient: 0.363

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1482125877/sierra-matchking-bullets-30-caliber-308-diameter-168-grain-hollow-point-boat-tail

Technical Information •Caliber: 30
•Bullet Diameter: 0.308
•Bullet Weight: 168 Grains
•Bullet Style: Hollow Point Boat Tail

Ballistics Information:

•Sectional Density: 0.253
•Ballistic Coefficient: 0.462

Using my data for my own Rem 700 (~2550 FPS at the muzzle) the difference in the two is very slight out to 400 (less than 1MOA, which I would put inside the normal window of error for most shooters).   If you really new your stuff and were capable on the particular gun then definitely past 300 you'd want to start adjusting your dope.

0-150yds - No measurable difference
200yds - .25"
300yds - 1.00"
400yds - 3.5"
500yds - 7.25"

I can't predict repeatability and precision to say if the 165 Game King would be as good at shooting tiny groups, but certainly would be worth having on hand for a hunting load that compliments a 168gr SMK zero.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 4:16:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I have match bullets for every caliber I own but I use a hunting bullet for Killing critters. Barnes and Nosler Ballistic Tips get used the most. I had a bad experience with a 120 Amax at 2900fps on a close range deer. I didn't experience the "shoot through 2 frame rails of a truck" that some claimed. Mine was a serious sunflower expansion and limited penetration.

I won't tell you what to use but I will recommend a hunting bullet. The rest is up to you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had very good results using Berger 308 168 gr OT hunting bullets. I think they are VLD's but I am not sure. They are very accurate and they expand very well with complete pass though on deer. They leave massive up to 7" exit holes in coyotes. I get them from Gunwerks. At 200 yards they will shoot 1 ragged hole out of my custom Remington 700.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Would 168 go federal gold medal match be a good defensive or offensive round?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nosler makes a Ballistic Tip in 168 gr. variety.  They fly pretty much the same as BTHP Match bullets in my bolt gun.
View Quote
thats exactly what I use.

Buddies killtoday with my ar10 and 168gr nosler ballistic tip.

Link Posted: 1/11/2017 11:21:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:02:03 AM EDT
[#19]
They work fine. The best game bullet still leaves wounded or slow dying game with a poor shot. Check out the Berger Elite Hunter's. They're sweet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

My dad has killer several with the 178 gr flavor, I popped the two hogs 45 min apart with the 168 gr and they did well. Both were DRT.

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#21]
2140 Sierra is what you seek. I load them with varget or benchmark with outstanding results...one word of caution...they are NOT a bonded bullet and work fine for thin skinned deer but WILL separate...they look exactly like a matchking but are a hunting bulle t...been using them for years.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have used that bullet in my 30-06 and killed a handful of deer with it-very happy with that bullet. My problem is I have killed a handful of deer with  several different rifles and different bullets in them; if they were all with the same one I'd have a decent database to speak from! OTOH deer aren't armor plated.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
In my experience, in my rifles:  The performance of the 165 grn Gameking loaded with the same specs as my 168 Matchking was so close as to not be noticed.  The combination was so versatile I was very hesitant to move to the 175 grn Matchking when I was trying to go a 1000 yards.

Just use the 165 Sierra Gameking and call it a day OP.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#24]
From what I gather, Hornady's SST works very, very well when used as a companion to the 168 A-max.  Use the A-max for paper then the SST for the four legged stuff.  I'm in the process of getting mine going with this.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I have not used 168gr HPBT, but i have used Berger 185gr Juggernauts, 168gr AMAX & 178gr AMAX.

The Deer, sheep and antelope i shot all fell right over...the deer was shot while running, so it made it like 30yards before falling ass over head.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#26]
The 155 hpbt performed shitty on deer, no appreciable expansion. I have not tried the 168
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ice pick wound on deer.  

View Quote
Never shot a deer with a Match King have you?

OP, I only use SMK for deer hunting in WI.

I have used them in 300 Win Mag, 308 and 6.5 Grendel.

I have used the 168, 175 in the 308 and 300 and 190 in the 300.

In the Grendel it is 123 gr.

The farthest I have had to track a deer was 20 yards.  Shot her offhand in a field at 227 yards, quartering away.  She ran into the woods and died.

Almost every deer dies on the spot.  The bullet is like a Ballistic Silver Tip.  Massive expansion and energy transfer.

I try and shoot every deer high in the vitals in the front shoulder.

Some shots were better than others, but I have only lost sight of one deer after shooting it with a SMK.

Total number killed with SMK, various rifles, around 20.

Number lost?  Zero

Last year I shot a buck with Berger VLD Hunting bullets that I got on sale.  I liked their performance as well.

Don't listen to the haters who have never shot a deer with a SMK.  They have no idea what they are talking about.

Sierra says not to use them for hunting, but they are just fine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#28]
When I first started hunting I killed a 6 pointer at about 50 yards with 168 smk. He dropped but it was close and a perfect heart shot, any bullet would have done the job, it was a clean T&T shot. That was with a Remington 700 sps tactical and it was zeroed for that round so that's what I used. Ive since sold that gun and have a AR10 that I hunt with and use federal blue box 180 grain soft points and they are great performers. Have put quite a few deer down in their tracks with them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ice pick wound on deer.  

View Quote
In my experience with the Hornady 168gr BTHP on a deer it exploded the heart and didn't exit.  It didn't hit any ribs or other bone on entry.

I am not saying they are ideal but in my experience they killed deer very well out to 300yds.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Never shot a deer with a Match King have you?

OP, I only use SMK for deer hunting in WI.

I have used them in 300 Win Mag, 308 and 6.5 Grendel.

I have used the 168, 175 in the 308 and 300 and 190 in the 300.

In the Grendel it is 123 gr.

The farthest I have had to track a deer was 20 yards.  Shot her offhand in a field at 227 yards, quartering away.  She ran into the woods and died.

Almost every deer dies on the spot.  The bullet is like a Ballistic Silver Tip.  Massive expansion and energy transfer.

I try and shoot every deer high in the vitals in the front shoulder.

Some shots were better than others, but I have only lost sight of one deer after shooting it with a SMK.

Total number killed with SMK, various rifles, around 20.

Number lost?  Zero

Last year I shot a buck with Berger VLD Hunting bullets that I got on sale.  I liked their performance as well.

Don't listen to the haters who have never shot a deer with a SMK.  They have no idea what they are talking about.

Sierra says not to use them for hunting, but they are just fine.
View Quote
If you compare the looks of a SMK to a SGK they are identical. I'm thinking it's the same bullet...an autopsy would tell more.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Buddy I know tried out the 168 GMK hpbt with luck, tracked 25yds

I've loaded nosler 168BT in .308 and 30-06 with luck; WI whitetail drop in spot.
Will be trying out nosler 165 partition and accubond this year.
May even drop back down to a 150. No need to go heavier.
Will be shooting out of a 1/12 this year not a 1/10 twist
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#32]
I have used 168 and 175 SMK for many years in my 308 with excellent results. As has been stated above the SMK will expand and frag massively causing a tremendous amount of energy transfer. Often hunting bullets will be designed to expand and penetrate and when a bullets leaves a nice exit wound that means there was more energy to transfer. The exit wound will give you a nice blood trail, and a hunting type bullet will preserve more meat.

My experience indicates the SMK kills much quicker than the hunting type bullets. But you loose the potential blood trail and can damage more meat.

Evaluate your priorities and pick accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Why not give the Nosler LR Accubond a try?  High BC, along with great expansion and if you hit a shoulder, it'll keep on going even after shedding half it's weight.  I just for the life of me can not figure out why people insist on using match bullets when there are so many hunting bullets out there.  Use the right tool for the job.  

Years back, I tried running 168 SMK's and 168 Hornady BTHP in my 308.  I never saw the terrific kills that others have experienced.  That was on 6 does ranging in different sizes and varying yardages from 30ish yards out to only 200.  One hit the shoulder square and blew up, not doing much to the vitals.  Had to put another one into her after the first slowed her down.  Yes, she would have died, but how long after?  I've had others zip on thru with what appeared to be tumbling causing the wound channel to become larger.  Never did recover those other bullets, so I can't say whether or not they expanded or not, just going off of the small entry and slightly oblong exit without the internal upset I see with expanding bullets.

After switching back and taking deer with cup and core (Sierra), monolithics (GMX & Barnes), and bonded bullets (Accubonds), I have seen the first hand results of how much better they are for the task at hand.  OP, if you want that style of bullet, switch to the Berger Hunting line.  I have friends that swear by them even though I have never taken a deer with them personally.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:59:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nosler 165 BT is what you seek.....shot several deer and they work wonderfully.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top