Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2016 12:30:01 PM EDT
Got my first buck, nothing special infact he has one antler missing all together. lol. But it puts meat in the freezer. lol
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:32:12 PM EDT
[#1]
What outside temperature, or what are they hanging in?
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is an article - suggests up to 17 days if you have the right conditions.  Ageing venison
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#3]
We tried letting one hang 14 days in a commercial cooler.

I didn't see any difference in the taste or tenderness of the meat.  

After that, we pretty much shoot, gut, drive home, skin, cut, wrap freeze.  Done.  

I don't think there's anything wrong with letting them age, I just didn't see the point in it personally.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 12:56:04 PM EDT
[#4]
We typically let them hang in a freezer for about a week or so. Just enough to get a nice crust on the outside.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Its hanging outside in the barns, it might get up in the 40s today..its gutted and skinned right now and hanging, ive been washing it was cold water to clean it up some. I got the deer around 10:30am..
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't cut my own up bc I don't have the time or the space. The guy who does mine usually lets them hang a day or two in his walk in. Sometimes a little longer when he has a ton of deer brought in at the same time. Honestly the cleanliness of the shop and how you wrap/food saver the meat is more important to me than how long it hangs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Myself, I'd get the hide off, leave it on the bone (the meat stretches and tears as it dries out, which aids tenderizing), put it in a cheesecloth game sack to keep flies off,  clean it really well - get all the hair and dirt off of it, and hang it for a week.

Pull the tenderloins asap, you don't need to age them and you don't want them to dry out.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Myself, I'd get the hide off, leave it on the bone (the meat stretches and tears as it dries out, which aids tenderizing), put it in a cheesecloth game sack to keep flies off,  clean it really well - get all the hair and dirt off of it, and hang it for a week.

Pull the tenderloins asap, you don't need to age them and you don't want them to dry out.
View Quote

This... depends upon how warm or cold its out.. i let it hang for a day to get ticks off of it. If its warm i cut it up pretty quickly
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 3:37:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Its hanging outside in the barns, it might get up in the 40s today..its gutted and skinned right now and hanging, ive been washing it was cold water to clean it up some. I got the deer around 10:30am..
View Quote

If the weather is ideal or if you have it hanging in a cooler normally somewhere from 5 to 10 days.  Really anything but a tough old buck 3 or 4 days is fine.  But in a barn where temps are likely to get to 50 during day I would be worried to let it go very long.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, we decided to go ahead and quarter it, cut it up and rinse in cold water really good and then bag it up and put in fridge til tomorrow and then freeze it.

Tonite we are cooking Deer Ribs, anyone got a good recipe..

Pics coming soon...
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I never can let a deer hang as its to hot out.  I always quarter it up then put it in a cooler on ice for a week.  Been doing this for 15 years no issues yet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I never can let a deer hang as its to hot out.  I always quarter it up then put it in a cooler on ice for a week.  Been doing this for 15 years no issues yet.
View Quote

This. Everyone I know that has good venison leaves it in the cooler with blackstrap and tenderloins still in for at least a week. Some keep it covered with ice and the plug out of the bottom of the cooler to bleed it out and some fill it with ice water and drain and refill about every day or two. I just did one with the ice water method and it was great.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:39:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't hang mine because it is always too hot here.  If I could hang it to age, I would only do it for about 5-7 days.  If you're going to hang the meat, keep it dry.  The crust that forms while it's hanging is what protects the meat.  It gets shaved off during the butchering step.

The best way to clean the meat up is to pick at it.  I've also heard of some people using a handheld propane torch to singe stray hairs off.  I use the same technique to remove the hard to get feathers off of ducks.  If a piece of meat is particularly dirty, you can rinse it but I personally would only rinse meat that is going to get packaged and frozen right away.  Cool, clean, and dry is the key.

I either cut and package mine the same day or if I'm too busy/tired I will fill the bottom of a cooler with ice, then a layer of meat, then ice, etc.  Leave the plug out and prop the other end up to let it drain.  When I do the cooler thing, I get to it when it's most convenient.  2-3 days is no problem.  This technique runs counter to keeping the meat dry, but it's packed in ice so I don't worry about bacteria growing.

Always cut the tenderloins out ASAP (I do it right after field dressing).  That's your best cut of meat and you don't want them to dry out.  Cutting the tenderloins out right away will also help to keep them clean if you need to drag the deer out of the field.

Deer ribs don't have much on them in the way of meat and the meat that is there dries out quickly so I use it and the flank meat to make dog food but if I was going to keep it I would just trim it off the bones and grind it.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2mzdr43.jpg
View Quote

I use the cooler method here as well because it's too warm to hang. Just keep fresh ice on the meat and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, we decided to go ahead and quarter it, cut it up and rinse in cold water really good and then bag it up and put in fridge til tomorrow and then freeze it.

Tonite we are cooking Deer Ribs, anyone got a good recipe..

Pics coming soon...
View Quote

we used to quarter it up and put the meat in large trash cans filled with ice water and some salt until we had time to finish the work.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I have done it both ways by waiting a week and doing it the same day. Couldn't tell any difference in taste. I prefer to get it out of the way right away.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Depends on how cold it is, tonight it's going to be 0, guess what your deer will be in the morning?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#18]
If the temps are 40 or below I will hang them 7 to 10 days.   I wouldn't say it's the aging but the excess water content evaporates.   Burger made without the hang time doesn't bind all that well into burger patties.  A hung deer is just dry enough to make the burger pack without falling apart in the pan.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I use a drink machine converted into a meat cooler and let the meat age for 4-5 days on average.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, jus bagged a nice doe at around 5:oo pm. its presently 21* out. I strung it up, got it gutted and rinsed out and going to let it hang for a day or two. I dont think ill have to worry about any warm temps any time soon. lol.

Link Posted: 12/27/2016 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I like to hang mine until they turn a deep cherry red and form a paper thin "skin" on the meat.  Generally that takes 2 - 4 days with temps in the mid 30s to mid 40s and good air circulation, no direct sunlight on the carcass.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 6:40:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Where do you guys hang your deer? Just in the garage?
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Where do you guys hang your deer? Just in the garage?
View Quote

I hang mine in an open barn area, only place I have. I did learn my lesson about letting a deer hang it Freezes. Took me an hour to get the hide off. I did searching and most ppl seem to "warm up" the deer that had been frozen to get hid off. I wasnt going to do all that, I jus messed with it, bits and pieces at a time, till hid came off.

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#24]
At least 3 days. Make sure you skin the entire deer before hanging it.  I've seen guys make the mistake of leaving the hide on and letting it hang for a week. Every single tick that was on the hide will borough into the meat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top