Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2016 2:43:59 PM EDT
I am looking to build an AR for deer hunting at my home. I live in a neighborhood  with lots of woods around and my back yard looks down a mountain side. i want to be able to drop a deer at 6am in my back yard without waking up the neighbors.
My question is should I stick with 556? Or switch to another round?
In theory if I go with a 556 I would go with a 1/7 twist rate so I can stabilize a heavier round. Does a silencer have an effect on this?

I was looking at this from Daniel Defense as a possible option but I didn't know how that round would do deer hunting.
https://danieldefense.com/firearms/caliber/300-blackout/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-isr-mil-spec-tm.html

I have never owned a silencer before and want to this right without regrets.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 12:54:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Suppressed .458 Socom.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
5.56 is marginal at best for dropping deer unless you've got perfect shot placement.

I'd look into a 6.8 SPC or .300 Blackout if hunting within 100-200 yards.  Both show better KE at impact in these ranges.  

Both work in standard AR platforms (6.8 youll need a new bolt, barrel, and mag, .300 youll need new barrel)

Both will work with standard .30cal cans.  .300 BO will suppress more effectively from what I've read.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#3]
5.56 will work well on Georgia sized deer but doesn't really suppress that well.

I would go .300 for sure if you're going with a can.

You can use the same bolt for 5.56/300blk btw to the poster above.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
A 30 cal can will be more versatile if you want to use it for other things.

For you deer hunting I would use a 308 bolt gun with a 30 cal can. You could still use the can on a 556 AR for other stuff.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
5.56 is marginal at best for dropping deer unless you've got perfect shot placement.
View Quote

it works just fine

the only people that say it doesn't work cant shoot

even with 300bj or 6.8 a miss is a miss
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A 30 cal can will be more versatile if you want to use it for other things.

For you deer hunting I would use a 308 bolt gun with a 30 cal can. You could still use the can on a 556 AR for other stuff.
View Quote

more gas =less quiet

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on how close out neighbors are. A 5.56 is still going produce a supersonic crack, which isn't very quite.

If your neighbors are pretty close go with .300blk subsonics.

Don't worry about ft/lbs, as long as you get enough penetration to hit vitals, and expansion to cause a quick bleed out you're good to go.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

it works just fine

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it works just fine

So true. At least 1/2 of the zillion whitetail and feral hogs I've dropped over the years have fallen to 5.56. Even one with a 55 grn. soft point from beyond 300 yds with a 14.5" barrel. Don't listen to all the caliber hype when hunting whitetail; I've sold my 6.8 and stopped using my .300. A good .308 or 5.56 suppressor will help save your hearing and are easier to come by than a 6.8 suppressor.

I'm a big fan of 16" 5.56 with my Surefire .308 suppressor for hunting, extremely versatile. My current favorite round is the Hornady 70 grn GMX (copper, like the Barnes TSX) for sheer penetration and expansion without fragmentation. Over the years I've found that a non-fragmenting round will spoil less meat and more consistently create a solid exit wound.

ETA you're not going to get perfectly quiet unless you're going .22. Even the .300 subs create enough noise that your neighbors will hear something. I would say the best you can hope for if your neighbors are fairly close is making it sound less like someone is rifle hunting next door and more like someone just shot a handgun down the street. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to disagree, but you're never going to make it completely impossible for a neighbor to figure out you're hunting.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#9]
a bolt-action blackout will be quieter on a same-round comparison than a semi blackout.  no action movement, no gas being used to cycle.....the handi-rifle in 300blk would be ideal for hunting with a can especially at short ranges without alerting the neighbors.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]
All shots will be 150 yards and less. Neighbors are close enough to complain to my wife and I don't need that kind of headache in my life.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Suppressed .308 for me this year, but I'm mostly taking my kids hunting... might not kill anything myself.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Suppressed .308 for me this year, but I'm mostly taking my kids hunting... might not kill anything myself.
View Quote

What kind? What setup? I have always deer hunted with a Ruger M77 Mark 2 308 or 300 win mag for elk.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 2:52:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

it works just fine

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

it works just fine

This.

My boys and I have dropped dozens of deer with 75gn BTHP Match Hornady.

Lately, I have moved up to a .308 gas gun.

All my guns are suppressed.  You can't beat hearing protection in the hunting field.  Though you may experience auditory exclusion while hunting, every crack of a round still does damage to your inner ear.  The damage is cumulative over your lifetime.  The more you can do to reduce the damage done, the better.

Link Posted: 11/10/2016 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell for deer around my property, I still use my old 30-30 and when I shoot, the neighbors drop by to see what I got.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What kind? What setup? I have always deer hunted with a Ruger M77 Mark 2 308 or 300 win mag for elk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rem700, 18" barrel, TBAC 30p1, vortex HST

It'll knock a texas whitetail's ass in the dirt no problem... hogs too.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I doubt you will get a stamp approved in less than a year.  When do you plan to shoot this deer? Maybe you should consider a compound bow?
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I doubt you will get a stamp approved in less than a year.  When do you plan to shoot this deer? Maybe you should consider a compound bow?
View Quote

I wasn't planning on it for this season. I own a bow but honestly I haven't fine tuned my skills with it. Last thing I want to do is clip a deer wrong, injuring it and letting it run off to die slowly. With my luck it would end up in my neighbors yard.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wasn't planning on it for this season. I own a bow but honestly I haven't fine tuned my skills with it. Last thing I want to do is clip a deer wrong, injuring it and letting it run off to die slowly. With my luck it would end up in my neighbors yard.
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldnt hunt with subs unless you have a super close shot. With supers its still loud suppressed.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:15:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I wouldnt hunt with subs unless you have a super close shot. With supers its still loud suppressed.
View Quote
Loud, yes.  Damaging, no.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 10:53:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Took a deer last year with 300 BO out of a 10.5" suppressed AR. Using a Savage 10 in .308 this year.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#23]
My 11 year old has used a .338 Spectre for the last 3 years.  10.5" barrel, and can use a normal 9mm pistol can (I use a Liberty Mystic).  300gr. subsonics.  The down side is it is more of a wildcat cartridge, so very rare to find loaded ammo.  I think one company did put some out, not sure if they still do.  But the Spectre is the Blackout's big brother.

Maker Bullets had a projectile out that is solid copper and supposedly made for the Spectre, subsonic expansion. They make a similar .30 bullet.  I snagged a box to try this year.  Season is only one week in and only saw a small doe last weekend.  So still waiting to try.

The previous years we used a Hawk thin jacket custom bullet.  It worked ok, the longest shot my son has taken is about 80 yards.  Sighted in at 50yds, it has a 4" drop at 100yds.  So I wouldn't push it past that distance.  I have a 4x fixed power scope on it.

But it is very quiet.  One time he dropped two deer that were side by side.  The first one dropped and the second one just stood there, not knowing what happened, till it got shot also.  That was at less than 50 yards distance.

I can't tell if the action or the impact is louder.

The Spectre was invented by the same gentleman that developed the .458 SOCOM.
Link Posted: 11/11/2016 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Suppressed .458 Socom.
View Quote

Good choice.  You need a subsonic bullet to be really quiet, the heavier the better.

Also, a big-bore airgun like these can ethically kill a deer out to 100 yards, providing the shooter does his or her part.

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 11:37:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So true. At least 1/2 of the zillion whitetail and feral hogs I've dropped over the years have fallen to 5.56. Even one with a 55 grn. soft point from beyond 300 yds with a 14.5" barrel. Don't listen to all the caliber hype when hunting whitetail; I've sold my 6.8 and stopped using my .300. A good .308 or 5.56 suppressor will help save your hearing and are easier to come by than a 6.8 suppressor.

I'm a big fan of 16" 5.56 with my Surefire .308 suppressor for hunting, extremely versatile. My current favorite round is the Hornady 70 grn GMX (copper, like the Barnes TSX) for sheer penetration and expansion without fragmentation. Over the years I've found that a non-fragmenting round will spoil less meat and more consistently create a solid exit wound.

ETA you're not going to get perfectly quiet unless you're going .22. Even the .300 subs create enough noise that your neighbors will hear something. I would say the best you can hope for if your neighbors are fairly close is making it sound less like someone is rifle hunting next door and more like someone just shot a handgun down the street. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to disagree, but you're never going to make it completely impossible for a neighbor to figure out you're hunting.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it works just fine

I've come along to agree.

I hunt with suppressed 300BLK and 7mm-08 ARs. Best thing about it is not needing to wear hearing protection but researchanddestroy is right. The neighbors are going to hear the sonic crack (I only do supersonic) and a loud "smack" of gas coming out of the barrel... BUT... that's usually enough not to attract much attention since it doesn't register as all that alarming to people. Beats the hell out of an unsupressed BAAAA FUUUCCCKING BAAABOOOOOOOOMMMM followed by the thunderous ringing from the echoes off every non-horizontal surface within a quarter mile.

The suppressor can also make a difference in being able to shoot multiple animals-- but, it's a bit of a long story. It can go either way.

To me it just makes the whole experience much more pleasant and keeps a lower profile. Even though the place I rifle hunt is 27 acres surrounded by lots of other hunted properties, there always seems to be someone looking to cause problems for a hunter.

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 11/11/2016 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I read most posts so far, not all of them.

Within 200 yards, taking your kids out..

300 blackout
30cal can.
You can get those single shot rifles for cheap.

I've used 30 cal cans on 556, marginal difference going to a 556 can,
so for a first suppressor, the 30 cal is great, being you can use it on many calibers.

I do not suggest using a subsonic 300 blk load for deer unless you shoot it in the head.
Barnes makes a factory 110 and 120 that perform well. I have used the 110 and trying 120 this year.
I also use my handloaded nosler 125.

the 223/556 barnes has a 55gr factory that performs well, although most people like shooting a 62-70gr bullet.

Both will be supersonic, and have a crack. Although in my experience, the 300 seems less "crack like" than the 223/556.

300 blk is comfortable to shoot from the single shot/bolt platform or the semi. Especially if newer hunters getting used to things.
Add the 30 cal can, and you are good to go. Quiet, with a minor snap, soft recoil. (AR interchangeable)

I'll be taking a plethora of blasters out next weekend,
but there is a .223/556 and 300 blk in the inventory.

the 300 is an SBR with a low power optic for in the woods,
and a 14.5 223/556 for a lady friend to use. Also low power optic.
Both rifles can take the 30 cal can I am bringing.

Both rifles have taken deer, with the can and without. I believe people
who say .223 can't take deer, haven't tried, or had a poor shot.

The 3 that have been harvested with .223 didn't go more than 25 yards. (WI Whitetails)
The 300 dropped 2, and another 2 fell inside 30yd.
Ranges from 15 yards to 225

Conclusion:
300 blk, (Barnes 110)
Any platform
30cal can (I'm running a YHM Phantom LT for season this year)

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#27]
https://instagram.com/p/BMt1IJQB-id/

Silenced Deer Hunting 2016
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I would not know anything about that

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I deer hunt on my brother's Wilkes County Georgia farm every year and use a suppressor (since Georgia legalized them for hunting).  This season I shot 3 deer, using a different rifle for each.  Ruger American Ranch Rifle (RARR) in 300 Blackout, RARR in .223, and a Daniel Defense AR in 300 Blackout.  All rifles used with a screw-on ARK30 suppressor and supersonic ammo.  I use Barnes 110gr blacktip handloads in the Blackouts and Sierra 65gr Gameking handloads in the .223.  This suppressor actually makes the groups a bit smaller than without.

It takes me 15-20 minutes to walk from my brother's house to where I hunt (up and down hills), depending upon my hurry (as the crow flies, it's not very far from their house).  I shoot from an elevated stand about 14' in the air.  From the stand I can hear my brother's dogs and his ATV when it's started.  When they are in their house, my brother and sister in law do not hear my shots.  I have to call them that a deer is down so he can start his ATV and come help retrieve the deer.  

As an aside, sometimes other deer in the same field (20-40yd away from the targeted deer) do not leave/run when I shoot suppressed supersonic.  2 of my deer killed each had 2 other deer (2 spikes and 2 yearlings) near them that stayed.  The 3rd deer had 6 deer nearby (3 old does, 2 mature does, and 1 yearling; the 3 old does are very cautious)  that ran at the shot.  If the deer do not leave, they look around and start feeding again.  It's also happened other years.  On my 142yd kill I heard the bullet hit.  If the hit deer runs you can sometimes hear it when it falls in the woods if close enough and the leaves are dry since your hearing isn't ringing from the shot.  

I give suppressed hunting a big thumbs up.  Have also gotten multiple shots at hogs when hunting suppressed, but the other hogs are much more likely to run as opposed to deer.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 11/15/2016 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I hunt exclusively with my 14.5" 300BLK with an Omega and hunt within 300 yds of houses.  No problems yet.  I don't hunt suppressed because of the houses but to not pressure the deer herd.  Its amazing that you can pop a one or two does out of a heard of 10 and they have no clue what just happened.

I've taken deer at 150 yds with no issues at all.  Most of the time they are DRT.  I have a 300blk handi-rifle for my son to hunt with and its freaky quiet.

I never take game over 150 yds so the 300blk fits the bucket perfectly.    BTW a 556 is way louder than a 300blk supers.  At least it is to my ears.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I've taken deer at 150 yds with no issues at all.  Most of the time they are DRT.

View Quote

Where are you hitting them? Shoulders? CNS? My 300Blk hits always result in a dead deer but not DRT. (Not saying they can't, hence my question.)

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Where are you hitting them? Shoulders? CNS? My 300Blk hits always result in a dead deer but not DRT. (Not saying they can't, hence my question.)

-Stooxie
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've taken deer at 150 yds with no issues at all.  Most of the time they are DRT.

-Stooxie

Broadside a little forward. I use the Hornady SST.  I have tried a lot of rounds for deer and got the best results from the sst.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I appreciate the insight, thanks.

What grain SST and velocity? I've had similar experience with the SSTs but with 7mm08. No concerns about speed or terminal energy there. I'm a bit chicken to drop below 2100 fps and 900 ft lbs for 300Blk, though. Doesn't sound like that's been a problem for you.

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What grain SST and velocity? I've had similar experience with the SSTs but with 7mm08. No concerns about speed or terminal energy there. I'm a bit chicken to drop below 2100 fps and 900 ft lbs for 300Blk, though. Doesn't sound like that's been a problem for you.

-Stooxie

View Quote

125 gr.  cant remember what they crono'ed at but it was higher than 2100.

What round are you currently using?
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-Stooxie

I chrono'd 125gr SSTs from Ozark Ordnance Gameslayer a while ago and got 1950fps from a 12.5" barrel. If you've got a longer barrel I can see another 150 to 200 fps.

I'm currently using the Barnes 110gr VOR-TX out of said 12.5" barrel. I have no complaints, entrance and exit wounds are practically explosive. Last deer I shot had a giant hole through three ribs on the exit side. But they always run a good 60 to 70 yards before dropping. These are good, broadside to slightly quartering, double lung or double lung+heart shots. I wouldn't exactly call northern VA deer particularly tough, either. These are 100 to 130 pound does. If you're hitting a bit forward though and getting some shoulder that would definitely help anchor them.

I know there's no exact science to what a living creature is going to do when mortally wounded. Just thought I'd ask in the spirit of the almighty DRT shot!

Thanks!

-Stooxie

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Good choice.  You need a subsonic bullet to be really quiet, the heavier the better.

Also, a big-bore airgun like these can ethically kill a deer out to 100 yards, providing the shooter does his or her part.

http://www.extremebigboreairrifles.com/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Suppressed .458 Socom.

http://www.extremebigboreairrifles.com/

Blatant high fence kills.    Not gonna a good selling point for the air rifle maker.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I chrono'd 125gr SSTs from Ozark Ordnance Gameslayer a while ago and got 1950fps from a 12.5" barrel. If you've got a longer barrel I can see another 150 to 200 fps.

I'm currently using the Barnes 110gr VOR-TX out of said 12.5" barrel. I have no complaints, entrance and exit wounds are practically explosive. Last deer I shot had a giant hole through three ribs on the exit side. But they always run a good 60 to 70 yards before dropping. These are good, broadside to slightly quartering, double lung or double lung+heart shots. I wouldn't exactly call northern VA deer particularly tough, either. These are 100 to 130 pound does. If you're hitting a bit forward though and getting some shoulder that would definitely help anchor them.

I know there's no exact science to what a living creature is going to do when mortally wounded. Just thought I'd ask in the spirit of the almighty DRT shot!

Thanks!
-Stooxie

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Stooxie

Thanks!
-Stooxie

I had similar results with the 110 vortex rounds and thats why i switched.

What part of VA.  I was just up there and heading back up next Tuesday.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Use supers whatever you use.  If you don't have a suppressor, buy now and maybe you will have it for next season!

I have Ruger GSR with a YHM Phantom Ti 762 QD suppressor on it with the YHM Phantom FH QD muzzle device.  I use it  to hunt with and it works well.  Not worried about neighbors, more my own hearing.

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I want to thank you all for the help! Its been great reading the responses.
I am curious about the .30cal suppressors being used on smaller calibers. Are we noticeably quieter? Do we do it so it can be used on different rifles?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I am curious about the .30cal suppressors being used on smaller calibers. Are we noticeably quieterIt depends on the suppressor. ? Do we do it so it can be used on different rifles?Bingo!
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I am curious about the .30cal suppressors being used on smaller calibers. Are we noticeably quieter? Do we do it so it can be used on different rifles?
View Quote

I am going to suggest you head over to the Armory section and go down to Silencers.  There is a ton of great info there.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:03:20 PM EDT
[#43]
+1 to the above and also know that after a while you're just splitting hairs. A decibel here and there won't make or break you. A 30 cal suppressor on a 556 won't technically be AS quiet (of course depending on brand/design) but it will be within a few db. Maybe the HPA will pass and we'll all load up!!

Biggest factors that I've found when suppressor hunting are length and weight! Unless you're parked in a bench rest, something in the 8 inch, <16oz category would do you well.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
it works just fine

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
it works just fine

Shot placement is definitely the key
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Rem 700, 16" barrel, vortex viper optic, TBAC can.

Son shot a nice cull this year at about 125y. Dropped like a rock, stood up, jumped once, Dead as a doornail.

That rifle has become a favorite. Barely lost the family one-shot challenge Christmas Day... 1"x4" target, 500y. Missed by about 1.5" right (stupid wind).
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm not a big 300blkout fan but once you want to add a suppressor that makes some sense to me.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#47]
I've taken several with an 8" suppressed .300blk with 110gr Barnes supers.
I wouldn't personally hunt with subs, but I've killed a few hogs with subs.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#48]
I suggest finding someone with a suppressor that will let you shoot it and hear them shoot from a little ways away.

I have a feeling you're still going to get complaints from your neighbor. But hey at least you'll have a suppressor!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Really??? How many deer have you shot with a 556?  I've shot several including some rather large bucks and have yet to lose one. All shot at 100 to 300 yards.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top