Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2016 8:31:13 PM EDT
I am in Lousiana where they have a "Primitive Fiearm Season" for deer.  Muzzel loaders fall into this category, but they also allow rifles that must meet the following requirements:

-Single shot breech loading
- .35 cal or larger
- exposed hammer
- metallic cartridges loaded with black or smokeless powder
- may have magnified optic

I have a Marlin 1895 lever action .45-70 that meets all these requirements except "single shot", since it has a built in magazine tube.  I was doing some thinking today, and wondered if I stuck a dowel rod plug in the magazine tube (similar to plugging a shotgun magazine for bird hunting) and single loaded directly from the breech, if I'd be legal.

What are your thoughts? Has anyone ever done this?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I looked at the regs, because I am a dork like that, and it seems pretty specific  that it has to be single shot like an old trap door.

I would call you local warden, seems to be the best idea.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Around $200-250 you can pick up a Handi rifle in 45/70.

I have mine outfitted with 1889 Springfield sights. The ladder works out to 550 yards. (all the longer my range is)

I load mine to the highest spec, and a tad more .
My bud borrows it for elk season every year. Ya dont get tired of free elk steaks. He uses 250gr Barnes TX projectiles, load up to 2200fps.

The Handi Rifle is fun, and you really wanted an affordable single shot.
Then there is the Buffalo Classic, over kill for deer unless you want to hit them in the next county

A lever is in no way shape or form a primitive firearms.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top