Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2016 5:31:21 PM EDT
was walking dog in field and jumped one, 5 feet from me, sadly have to wait til thurs to get it. if .357 was dialed in, id use that but the only other short range is my 30-30. think ive got some soft points, lol
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If the Winchester is a '94, I doubt there is any rifle out there that has accounted for more deer in this country.

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the Winchester is a '94,
View Quote

it is actually , lol

ive still got hand loaded ammo from the 60s that my dad reloaded, i will jus hang on to that ammo, wont shoot it

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Really , really old school with some pretty poor ballistics .
Of course the deer don't know that and if you do your part on any reasonable distance shot they will fall over dead just like they have been doing for years

Have fun.

If it was me I think I would test out pops reloads and hunt with them if they are reasonable-just for old times sake
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#4]
When your hunting an area that's thick enough the longest possible shot is around 100 yards (or less), .30-30 ballistics work just fine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I killed my first one with a 3030
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I, too, am considering either a Marlin 336 in .30-30 or a dedicated slug gun this Deer Season. The Marlin is nice and light, compact, and low recoil (compared to my usual .270) and the longest shot I could take on my buddy's property is no more than 75 yards or so. I have another friend whose family only allows Shotgun on their property, so I was also considering a dedicated rifled barrel slug gun.

Decisions Decisions.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I, too, am considering either a Marlin 336 in .30-30 or a dedicated slug gun this Deer Season. The Marlin is nice and light, compact, and low recoil (compared to my usual .270) and the longest shot I could take on my buddy's property is no more than 75 yards or so. I have another friend whose family only allows Shotgun on their property, so I was also considering a dedicated rifled barrel slug gun.

Decisions Decisions.
View Quote

Get a Savage 220.  Most accurate production slug gun available.   For a while I was only able to hunt areas with shotgun only restriction.  I was just about to buy  a 220 when I found an in to hunt an area that allowed rifles.  If I had to go back to shotgun only areas for all my hunting Id have a 220 in the safe right away.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:17:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Get a Savage 220.  Most accurate production slug gun available.   For a while I was only able to hunt areas with shotgun only restriction.  I was just about to buy  a 220 when I found an in to hunt an area that allowed rifles.  If I had to go back to shotgun only areas for all my hunting Id have a 220 in the safe right away.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Decisions Decisions.

I just used my Savage 220 to take a buck at a ranged 103 yards with no worries.
My friend took a buck a few years ago at 175 yards.
I call my 220 a rifle that shoots a shotgun slug.
Of course my favorite would be a 308...
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#9]
you automatically get absolved from most sins by deer hunting and being successful with a model 94 ( open sights of course)
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I've killed a few with my Marlin 336. It's a easy gun to tote in the brush.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Ugh had to let one walk away, was too far and was get'n too dark to take a clean shot, my 30-30 isnt scoped. The deer seemed spooked easily, so, might have to pull out the pre 64 model 70 30-06 w/ 60s era scope, it probably hasnt been shot in 30 years, lol, i have some handloads from my dad for it too.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:21:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Marlin 30-30 336c around the age of 14. I have since moved to a different go to rifle. I did not keep count but it has taken at least 50 bucks.
Almost all were 1 shot kills. I sat quietly in a large oak tree and they never knew I was there.

I moved to a different rifle when I started putting in for Maine moose tags. Never did draw one.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Hell yeah.  I have a few really old Winchester '94s and Marlin 336 that have gotten some deer for me.  Who knows how many deer before me.  The oldest one I have an 1897 Winchester '94 - it's the only one that hasn't gotten a deer.  The bore is trashed (blackpowder) and I don't feel like working up a load for it.

The oldest one that's gotten a deer is from 1927 (?) - gotta make sure they still work occasionally

Get out there and get some venison!
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 1:04:18 PM EDT
[#14]
My first rifle for deer hunting was a winchester 94, traded it in for a 30-06 and never looked back.  I know a lot of people love them..  me likey the -06.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#15]
The first gun I ever hunted with was an old '94.  Hunted with it for years, then my dad sold it.

The first gun I ever bought with my own money was an old '94.  Still hunt with it in the brush.

Hunting with a '94 and open sights is refreshing sometimes.  Scopes have spoiled me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I too took my first whitetail with a 30-30.  Have taken every other one with a 30-06, 12 ga or muzzleloader.  I won't hunt with a 30-30 anymore. My 1st deer took 2 shots and a track job between them.  The area I mostly hunt was shotgun till only recently. One of the first rifles used there was a 30-30 by others with "lever-revolution" ammo.  All were not quick kills.  No doubt it is a capable gun and has taken tons of deer but my experiences with it have been nothing but bad
Link Posted: 11/4/2016 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I too took my first whitetail with a 30-30.  Have taken every other one with a 30-06, 12 ga or muzzleloader.  I won't hunt with a 30-30 anymore. My 1st deer took 2 shots and a track job between them.  The area I mostly hunt was shotgun till only recently. One of the first rifles used there was a 30-30 by others with "lever-revolution" ammo.  All were not quick kills.  No doubt it is a capable gun and has taken tons of deer but my experiences with it have been nothing but bad
View Quote

This, combined with possible poor shot placement, is the problem. LE ammo seems to be loaded hot, but tends to have little to no expansion. There's nothing wrong with old school softpoint 150-170 grain bullets from .30-30 on deer at or below 100 yards. LE is little more than a poor attempt at turning lever action rifles into something they're not.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

When your hunting an area that's thick enough the longest possible shot is around 100 yards (or less), .30-30 ballistics work just fine.
View Quote
This

First time i realized my 94 was hunting capable, I hit a 5 gallon bucket at 110 yards 5/5.

I still take it out for elk here, thick woods only.

Open sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top