Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2016 4:13:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out thermacell heated insoles. I have a pair and they don't get too hot that your feet sweat.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You need to be looking at overshoes or boot covers.

Also keep in mind, everyone's body is different. What works for someone may not work for you.
My feet are cold when it's 90 degrees out. It's tough find a boot with more than 1200 grams of insulation that still has a sole you can hike in.
I have these, Arcitic Shield
They helped immensely. I keep them in my pack and put them on when I get to the stand.

There are other styles and I've only tried the one, so I can't tell you it's the best, but they worked for me.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#3]
How well do electric socks work?
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure your boots fit correctly.  I have flipper feet -6E and finally got a set of boots that fit me - a pair of red wing 800 gm insulated. All I wear are tube socks and can sit all day late season in December.  You actually need air space in there to insulate correctly. 3 pairs of socks in tight boots won't make it. I also have a pair of Sorrell Dominators but they are pak boots and hard to walk in but man are they toasty
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
My problem is that my feet sweat so bad walking in, then sitting on the stand they get cold.. No

I have the Arctic Shield boot covers and they appear to work good..  i wear thinner socks so i dont sweat so bad..

My only recommendation is to size up if you are close to the size range in the boot covers.. I can barely get them over one pair of my boot..s

brian
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
$0 suggestion, taught to me from a homeless guy.

Thin socks on your feet, a plastic grocery bag, a thick wool sock, and then the boot. Obviously there's zero ventilation for your feet at that point, but I've had waterproof boots that were nearly as bad. When hiking in late fall and spring I always take a pair of grocery bags in my pack in case the ground gets slushy. It should also work pretty well for hanging out in the tree stand if you put the bags on once you're there so you don't have to worry about sweat getting in there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots of insulation. Lots.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a polypropylene liner then a medium to heavy weight wool or merino wool sock. Make sure there is a little room in the fit to your boots to allow you to move your feet. The artic shield boot covers have worked well for me as well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Boot covers are the way to go, it keeps your boot weight down, and you can also help prevent your feet from sweating..  You don't state what kind of stand you are in, if it's aluminum, your feet are on one huge ass heat sink, even a a chunk of shag rug between you and that metal will make a difference.

Something you might want to look into is one of these, myself and a few buddies have one and they are the cats ass... You can dress lighter then one normaly would for the weather and move around with a bow or a rifle when need be, and are bundled up and nice and warm the rest of the time.. I bought one that is for someone taller than myself, so I can zip it up and only my face is showing ... The only "complaint" I have is that its too cozy and I fall asleep in it too easy... FYI, I also have a set of their Booties, and my feet stay just toasty warm.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 12:47:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My stands are on the ground.  Usually under a tree or behind some brush.  

I should also mention that I need a solution that won't impair my ability to hike long distances in steep terrain.
View Quote

After stating the above, this is the answer that you seek... They weigh next to nothing, feel like slippers, and are the warmest pair of "boots" I own.. I have a pair of CAMUKSXTREME, and cannot say enough good things about them... The only bitch I do have is they can get a tad slippery on packed snow going up or down a hill.. Give them a call and Patti will set you up...

FWIW these things have been used in Arctic Expeditions quite a few times... Some of the user's, of course Will Steger (Patti's Ex-hubby) John Huston and their teams, Tobias Thorleifsson....

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
It's nice to see more people talking overboots.

Any boot warm enough to be comfortable in a static position will be obnoxiously hot and bulky on the move.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Muck Boots Chore boots are what you seek.
Waterproof, breathable, and comfortable for year-round hunting here.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out thermacell heated insoles. I have a pair and they don't get too hot that your feet sweat.
View Quote

How well do they work?  I mean, are they putting enough heat out that I would be ok in a combat boot at 0 degrees F in an aluminum stand if you set them on high or do you still need a pretty well insulated winter boot?  How about quality?  I'm reading a lot of mixed reviews with a lot of people having issues with them breaking.

Also what sort of battery life do you get?  Enough for a morning and evening sit on one charge?
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I have Cabelas pack boots that are 1200 gr. I also use the Arctic Shield over boots and throw hand warmers in them. Late season in PA is very cold and I have stayed in my tree stand all day in single degree days.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I wear 400 mg insulated Danner boots in Wi for deer hunting.  I generally just wear wool socks, and Im good, but I run pretty hot blooded.  My suggestion is to bring a good pair of electric socks or heated insoles along.  Alot of time when I walk into the woods, Ill be nice and warm, but when I get to my stand, my feet will get colder.  If I can hack it, Ill tough it out, havent lost any toes yet.  But if it gets bad, say around -10 or lower, Ill pull my boots off a sec, and swap in my electric socks, and Im good to go for the rest of the day.  Feet get cold, turn the socks on.  The great thing about wearing a lighter boot is the fact that you can actually walk into the woods, vs wearing a gigantic heavily insulated boot that makes you plod.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Stuff a hand warmer in your socks once you get to the stand.  Cheap and effective.  

Insulated boots

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top