Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2016 9:01:00 PM EDT
Which would you choose for .30-06 all purpose hunting rifle with  a 3x9 optic?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
both are very fine rifles.

I like Brownings, personally. but I have shot some Tikka's that were straight up fine shooters.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:53:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Tikka all the way for me. The browning is a nice rifle, but I find the long actions can bind up quite badly as soon as you put any sort of sideways pressure on the bolt while trying to cycle it. That, and the fact that I think browning jumped the shark as a brand with all their gimmicky stickers/nicknacks etc.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tikka all the way for me. The browning is a nice rifle, but I find the long actions can bind up quite badly as soon as you put any sort of sideways pressure on the bolt while trying to cycle it. That, and the fact that I think browning jumped the shark as a brand with all their gimmicky stickers/nicknacks etc.
View Quote

I really liked the A bolt. but was leering of the X bolt since it was brand new when I bought my Weatherby.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I would pick a Tikka.  A friend of mine has one and it is a very nice firearm.  It handles excellent and shoots very accurate with cheap ammo.  I'm 5'9" and the ergonomics of the rifle felt like it was made for me.  My friend has had his Tikka for about 8-9 years and it has been his primary hunting rifle since he purchased it.  I would also get one of the stainless and synthetic models, stays kind of humid in our area.  I keep having the thought jog through my mind that I need to get one in 270.  

I can't comment on the newer Browning rifles, the older A-bolts are fine rifles.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I almost went with the tikka after reading reviews here, but ended up going with the x bolt after handling both.  I like several features on the gun including the short bolt throw, ability to cycle the bolt with the safety on, the magazine holding rounds by the shoulder to prevent bullet tip damage (and accepts longer OAL than a lot of other rifles), and the overall fit of the gun.  

I'm extremely happy with the x bolt!  Prior to this the only browning item I owned was an old buckmark pistol.

ETA: mine is 7mm-08 so ymmv.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Tikka is an excellent rifle I own 2 T3 lites and had hunter
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:39:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Of those two, Id take the Tikka. Id take a M70 over both though.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Just picked up the Tikka T3x Lite in stainless today. Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Good Choice.  One I think you won't regret.  I bought a Tikka T3 this past summer and haven't regretted one bit.  

Mine is also stainless steel and i'm glad I spent the extra coin on the stainless.  This past week I was up hunting and 3 days we saw rain and snow and I didn't think twice about throwing the rifle on the rifle rack of the ATV and going looking for deer.  A simple wipe down once back in camp and put it in the truck for the night.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you pick up the Tikka online somewhere or at a brick-and-mortar store?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Euro Optics is were I got it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top