Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2016 3:15:11 PM EDT
I want to buy an inexpensive bolt-action deer rifle to keep around as a loaner, or as a backup for my own purposes. If I was a pawn-shop junkie, I'd just keep my eyes open for a better rifle, used or traded in, but I'm not that much into shopping around.  I don't really do a lot of hunting, either, but who knows what the future might hold?   Cabela's has a package deal on sale: the Remington 783 rifle with their Remington label 3-9 x 40 scope for $300.  Less a $40 rebate, it comes out to $260 for the rifle and scope combo package.  I realize it's not top tier, but it might only get fired on a half dozen outings between now and whenever I kick the bucket.  

What's the consensus on these?  Reviews I've read say that they're good (not excellent, but good) rifles.  Much better than the 710 or 770 - more akin to the Marlin XL-7 or Savage Axis.  Opinions?
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 3:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one in .308. It had feeding issues of one side of the mag. Sent it back under warranty. Upon return it just barely picked up rounds off that side of the mag. Sold it, as I didn't trust it to be reliable. Wouldn't buy one again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 4:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I would pass on them as I've only heard negative comments about them from users...not any better than the 710 or 770 of past.  I would look for a left over Marlin XL-7 or Savage Axis/Edge as they can be had for just a little more and will have better resale value down the road.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Check some Wallys and see if they still have the Ruger Americans  for $199
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd skip it.  Heard many bad stories about this model.

I think you'd be much better served with a Ruger American or Savage Axis.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore is selling Savage Axis XP .243 with scope package for $310.  Shipping is free.  Savage has a $30 rebate, so it brings it down to $280.  It comes with a non-branded 3-9x40.  I'm guessing the rebate would cover your FFL transfer fee.

I've ordered guns from them several times without an issue.  Shipping was prompt as well.

If I had a $300 budget for a .243 bolt action, and I wanted a package deal, this would be a consideration.  Or you could spend about $50 more for the Axis II package, which has an adjustable AccuTrigger and a Weaver scope.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't buy one.

If you want an inexpensive rifle that still works really well, look no further than the Ruger American.  It aint pretty, but its cheap, and they often shot REALLY well.

At one time Savage was the inexpensive rifle goto brand.  Still great, but no longer cheap.

Remington's recent products are crap.  Utter junk.  I wouldn't touch it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore is selling Savage Axis XP .243 with scope package for $310.  Shipping is free.  Savage has a $30 rebate, so it brings it down to $280.  It comes with a non-branded 3-9x40.  I'm guessing the rebate would cover your FFL transfer fee.

I've ordered guns from them several times without an issue.  Shipping was prompt as well.

If I had a $300 budget for a .243 bolt action, and I wanted a package deal, this would be a consideration.  Or you could spend about $50 more for the Axis II package, which has an adjustable AccuTrigger and a Weaver scope.
View Quote

The axis two with the weaver scope, think its just a kaspa but better than the cheaper scope, would be the way to go.  Probably find it for 360 shipped and transfered.  Check local sometimes places will price match or at least come down some.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#8]
you might look at the ruger american, IMO its the best value and performance in an inexpensive rifle. my local gunstore regularly has them on sale for $299, excellent accuracy, lightweight and comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#9]
It's quite bad, although not as bad as the 710 or 770.  You'd be much better off with a Ruger American.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's quite bad, although not as bad as the 710 or 770.  You'd be much better off with a Ruger American.
View Quote

HA!  

Nuff said.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Agree with everybody else
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Check your local Walmart for a Ruger American and see if they are still on clearance. I bought a .308 and a .243 for $433 OTD for both. ($199 each plus tax)
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I will also say that out of all the budget rifles out there now I would have to say Ruger is at the top.  My brother bought one for his son in 6.5 Creedmor and with my young nephew shooting it he is shoot well under an inch at 100yds with the factory ammo.  My brother is really happy with it.  It is shooting as well has the Tikka T3 he bought for my other nephew in 7mm-08.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top