Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2016 12:39:17 PM EDT
I'd like to start a sticky thread on the 7.62x39 and what deer rounds you guys are using?

Brand? Bullet? Firearm used and did the deer DRT!....  Let's go!

I used federal fusion 7.62x38 last year with good results. 3 deer. Only one DRT. All three recovered.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Remington Express in the green and yellow box. 125 grain soft point.  They might be the cheapest hunti g ammo out there that uses a .0.308 diameter bullet, but  the 22 year old colt ar-15 I hunt with (almost exclusivly) likes them.  The  rifle has a 16" bbl and isn't threaded

No drt results but all have been recovered.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have only killed one deer with the 7.62X39. It was three or four years ago. Shot a buck at about 55 yards with S&B softpoints. Had to shoot him three times. Recovered one bullet and it had zero expansion. I will not use them again.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
IF you can find an Interarms Mini-MarkX in 7.62x39, I'd grab it.
Mine (I think all) was twisted for .311 bullets but since a friend hand loads it was no problem.
The synthetic stock versions are a POS that need real attention to detail in bedding.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Any regular 123-125 soft point from Federal, Winchster or Remington works well.  No issues.  These manufacturers use a core that is soft enough, and a jacket that is thin enough to ensure adequate expansion at probable impact speeds out of the 762x39 round.

Do NOT use commie import soft point or hollow points.  These are not regular hollow points/soft points.  These jackets are often way too hard to ensure adequate expansion.  They are basically just cosmetic soft points or hollow points,, often with pretty tough copper washed steel jackets.  They often do not expand.

Fro
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:03:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I used Federal 123 on a buck from about 55 yards out from an SKS and he went down like he was clubbed...  

He was DRT indeed and not too much meat loss either compared to a 30.06 or .300 mag at that range.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 2:26:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Look no further than the Hornady SST.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#7]
For deer ? I have had not so good results with those .

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2016 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#8]
No issues on this end out of a CZ527M. What oroblems did you have?  The round was essentially designed for whitetail.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not 7.62x39, but I was very impressed with the performance of the SST's out of a 6.5 Grendel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm sighting mine in with the SST.
Link Posted: 9/12/2016 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm honestly surprised to hear this.  From many different sources I have heard nothing but praise for SST round when used with an intermediate caliber rifle whether it's 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC & 7.63x39.  I'm planning to use 120 SST in my 6.8 this season.  

Can you elaborate on your experiences?  I'm very curious to hear what happened.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Any regular 123-125 soft point from Federal, Winchster or Remington works well.  No issues.  These manufacturers use a core that is soft enough, and a jacket that is thin enough to ensure adequate expansion at probable impact speeds out of the 762x39 round.

Do NOT use commie import soft point or hollow points.  These are not regular hollow points/soft points.  These jackets are often way too hard to ensure adequate expansion.  They are basically just cosmetic soft points or hollow points,, often with pretty tough copper washed steel jackets.  They often do not expand.

Fro
View Quote

I won't pretend that the name brands aren't better than the import bulk stuff, but I killed quite a few deer with Wolf 123gr SP out of a Norinco SKS. May not have been the most ideal setup, but it was all I could afford and darnit if I didn't kill my first buck along with a bunch of other deer with that SKS.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:50:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Well my boy just shot a big doe with the fusion ammo. Nice broad side shot, right behind the shoulder. Hit the deer and it took off.
He then took a running neck shot which dropped it. I'll be trying the Winchester pdx tonight.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Try the SST's and stop buying into the BS of others.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Steel case....
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Which isn't an issue in the slightest.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Any kill updates?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Not 7.62x39, but I was very impressed with the performance of the SST's out of a 6.5 Grendel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've taken 2 black bears and 2 mule deer with a SST 6.5 bullet. It's a solid choice.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Winchester soft-point.
First buck, ever. DRT. Arsenal 107UR
The only round out of a box I've had for 20 years? Been using 12g since.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm loading 125 grain .311" Sierra Pro-Hunters with 24.5 grains of H4198 or H322.

You can substitute a Hornady .310" 123 grain soft point and use the same powder charges.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd like to start a sticky thread on the 7.62x39 and what deer rounds you guys are using?

Brand? Bullet? Firearm used and did the deer DRT!....  Let's go!

I used federal fusion 7.62x38 last year with good results. 3 deer. Only one DRT. All three recovered.
View Quote

Fusion's are probably the best combo of bullet and performance.  They typically are right at 2350 with a 16" barrel and its a good deer bullet(soft enough but hold together)
The steel case stuff from oversea's isn't consistent enough for hunting.  Sellor and Belloit is good ammo brass cased, fast but they use a steel jacketed soft point.
Prvi is good ammo use a real copper/glinding metal jacket and is really fast.  I don't think the bullet itself is as good as the fusion but those rounds are around 2400 fps or a little faster in most barrels.  I have seen some claim 2500 fps in 20" barrels prvi claims 2460 fps.
Remington, federal etc are all good ammo they use bullets that work but they are typically only around 2250 fps in 16" barrel and expensive
Hornady is interesting maybe the best bullet for hunting, decent BC made to expand at x39 velocities but its steel case and typically near the slower end.  Would love to see hornady have a superformance load for the x39.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#23]
CZ 527 carbine (.311 bore) w/leupold 2.5x scope
I run Cabela's brass case Herters which is nothing more than Seller&beliot (spelling?) For deer. I treat this combo as a short range brush gun and the only deer I've killed with it was a little buck at 35 yards. Hit him broadside through both lungs and he only ran 20 yards.

I've also ran some of that hornady v-max on varmints and its explosive not no way would I trust it to harvest a game animal.

I know this thread is about ammo but if anyone is thinking about getting a 7.62x39 hunting rifle, take a look at the CZ!
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#24]
So I'm guessing the $6 box of Monarch I have should not be used for deer?

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

http://assets.academy.com/mgen/93/10631193.jpg?is=640,640
View Quote

Depends, do you want to recover the deer?    I'm sure it'll poke a hole through the vitals, although before the deer finally expires it might make it to the next county...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Depends, do you want to recover the deer?    I'm sure it'll poke a hole through the vitals, although before the deer finally expires it might make it to the next county...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha, ok.  This is my first AK and really my first time messing around with cheap ammo like this.  I guess I should not count on these hollowpoints to actually expand.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:03:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ha, ok.  This is my first AK and really my first time messing around with cheap ammo like this.  I guess I should not count on these hollowpoints to actually expand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct they might expand into a pefect mushroom or pencil right through or explode and not penetrate at all.  You simply don't know.  Now make a good shot or couple shots and you will recover the deer more times than not.  No animal will live long with a hole in both lungs.  But I wouldn't chance it or even think it ethical for deer.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Correct they might expand into a pefect mushroom or pencil right through or explode and not penetrate at all.  You simply don't know.  Now make a good shot or couple shots and you will recover the deer more times than not.  No animal will live long with a hole in both lungs.  But I wouldn't chance it or even think it ethical for deer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Local Academy has 50rd boxes of steel cased Hornady ammo with SST bullets. Probably going to get that and give it a try. I'll save the monarch for water jugs or something.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:01:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Any 2016 kills?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 6:56:58 PM EDT
[#30]

One shot kill at 100 yds on a quartering towards shot.  The recovered 123gr SST weighed 58.4gr -- which makes me wonder if the bullet struck a twig or came apart.  The buck dropped in his tracks but the carcass exhibited by far the least amount of trauma of any buck I've taken.

Rifle is a home build using an AR Stoner barrel...
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fro
View Quote

Maybe some of the newer stuff perhaps.

Back in 99 I bought two cases of 123gr Russian HP when a gun store was going out of business.  That deer season my buddy borrowed my SKS and used the ammo to harvest a decent 4 point Mule deer.  One shot and he said it only went a short distance.  The bullet expanded into a picture perfect mushroom and he found it on the offside shoulder under the skin.  I have shot them into wet pack news print and water jugs and they have always expanded.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#32]
154 gr. wolf soft points out of a Yugo sks, high shoulder/base of neck. she never got out of her bed 60-70 yard shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top