Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2016 8:36:49 AM EDT
I need a pair of 8" uninsulated boots for the midwest, wyoming, and south dakota. They need to be waterproof. I also want a boot made in the US, germany, etc. Price range is $250-$300. Right now I'm debating between the Danner East Ridge or Cabelas by Meindl Dinalli.

Thanks for any opinions
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need a pair of 8" uninsulated boots for the midwest, wyoming, and south dakota. They need to be waterproof. I also want a boot made in the US, germany, etc. Price range is $250-$300. Right now I'm debating between the Danner East Ridge or Cabelas by Meindl Dinalli.

Thanks for any opinions
View Quote

Either pair you mention sound like quality boots.  I have a pair of Danner High Ground boots that have served me well for 3 seasons.  Mine are insulated, but Danner probably makes an uninsulated version.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Ever since I was issued my first pair of Danner Ft Lewis boots years ago in the Army, Danner is about the only boot I buy.  I do have a pair of Lowa GTX that i'm very fond of as well.  

Footwear is one place I don't skimp.  Thanks to Uncle Sam I now have problems with my feet and now more than ever I will spend more money on footwear just so my feet don't fail me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
All for Danner, just make sure you break them in before you put them to serious work. Most comfortable and durable boot I have owned.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Have you bought boots yet? I highly recommend the Kenetrek Hardscrabble. Very comfortable!
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the market for a pair of summer hiking boot s and I'm convinced the thing to do is go try a bunch on and see what work; and do it after you've been on your feet all day.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I own 3 pairs of Danners....

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a pair of American made danners and they are heavy duty.

I wanted some waterproof light boots and ordered from Russell Moccasin. They are more expensive than Danners, but will last a lifetime and are custom made for your feet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#8]
What about insulated waterproof boots. I've got about a 1k meter walk in to my stand and it's usually wet and high grass. I then sit in the stand trying to keep warm.
Eta
Large toe box/ I've got ape feet. I wear Danner rats pretty much every day but the leather doesn't do good with moisture.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:48:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a 6E foot.  I didnt know the joy of a well fitting boot until I put on a pair of Red Wing 1000 Gm insulated.  All I wear under them is a plain old pair of regular tube socks that you would wear with sneakers.  Air space inside boots is important for warmth.  I cant squeeze into Rocky's and the like.  I also have an old pair of Sorrell Dominators but they are a pak-boot for late season all day sits in the frigid cold.  Hard to walk/drive/scamper up a hill in those mamajammas but God are they toasty.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I use danner. They're the best I've had and lasted for 5 years of working on fencing and hunting
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I wear a light hiking boot by Zamberlan in the early season before the snow flies.  It's an all leather boot with a calfskin liner.  It's similar to the old Vasgue Sundowner before they were made in China.  When the weather turns and I need a warmer boot and a tall enough boot to keep snow out I wear my Schnees Pacs.  They are warm and fit well enough that you can actually walk in them.

I have a pair of Lowa Sheephunters also.  They are really nice if you're in rugged terrain.  They are heavy though.

Schnees Hunter Pacs
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:10:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What about insulated waterproof boots. I've got about a 1k meter walk in to my stand and it's usually wet and high grass. I then sit in the stand trying to keep warm.
Eta
Large toe box/ I've got ape feet. I wear Danner rats pretty much every day but the leather doesn't do good with moisture.
View Quote

I don't know why the leather on your boots doesn't do well with moisture.  All my Danner boots are full leather and they are 100% water proof.  I oil them on a regular basis to ensure they stay that way.  Might want to give that a try.  Either Mink oil, snow seal or even the Danner waterproofing treatment they sale.  

I am kind of anal with keeping up on boots.  The Army kind of drilled that into my head and it's just something I have to do when I see them.  Even my work boots are that way.  Keep em oiled and clean.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:41:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don't know why the leather on your boots doesn't do well with moisture.  All my Danner boots are full leather and they are 100% water proof.  I oil them on a regular basis to ensure they stay that way.  Might want to give that a try.  Either Mink oil, snow seal or even the Danner waterproofing treatment they sale.  

I am kind of anal with keeping up on boots.  The Army kind of drilled that into my head and it's just something I have to do when I see them.  Even my work boots are that way.  Keep em oiled and clean.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eta

Per my conversation with a higher up at Danner, the nubuc leather is not as water/weather resistant as the other leathers. They stay softer longer but what I do for a living, I can burn a pair of rats in a year of not less even with oil/waterproof treatments.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah I just looked up the Rat boot.  Not what I was thinking when I was thinking Danner.  Mine are all standard leather boots.  I have looked at the Nubuk but have never bought them.

I'm not as hard on boots as I once was thank god.  A pair can last me two to three years if I take care of them.  Longer if I wear multiple pair.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top