Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2016 11:55:46 AM EDT
In need of some new bino's for my first mule deer hunt since moving to Nevada.

Have a sub $1000 budget and currently looking at the Zen-Ray Prime HD 10x42's but also have looked at the Zeiss Conquest, Meopta Meostars and Leica Trinovids.  Just not sure they provide that much better glass to spend the extra $500.

Anyone have experience comparing any of the above?  I know there are a lot of Vortex fan boys in the hunting world but Zen-Ray offers the same warranty and haven't found a review when compared that favors the Vortex Vipers over the Prime's which are the bino's in my budget.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you considered purchasing a pair around the $200 range? A great pair of binos can be bought for this price, and the additional funds you were allocating could go toward a GREAT scope. In Nevada you could be taking some really long shots, and having a great scope can ensure you make a single shot that is humane and puts the deer down quickly. I personally really really like Vortex scopes, but in your situation consider re-allocating some of that money into a Burris Eliminator III Ballistic Laser Scope.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:23:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Vortex offers a full lifetime warranty when purchasing them from Cabela's - at least here in Omaha.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you considered purchasing a pair around the $200 range? A great pair of binos can be bought for this price, and the additional funds you were allocating could go toward a GREAT scope. In Nevada you could be taking some really long shots, and having a great scope can ensure you make a single shot that is humane and puts the deer down quickly. I personally really really like Vortex scopes, but in your situation consider re-allocating some of that money into a Burris Eliminator III Ballistic Laser Scope.
View Quote

I have some Bushnell XLT's right now and they're garbage.  Was going to buy a spotting scope but everyone I will be hunting with are telling me to wait and spend that $$$ on quality optics.  Just can't afford the Swaro's like they're all using.

Current rifle set up is a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather Light with a 3.5-10 Leupold VX-3i CDS so I feel good about that.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got the Zeiss Comquest HD 10x42. I just bought them a month or so ago. They are really awesome. Feel great in the hand and they are very clear. I've set them on my tripod with an adapter to really look through them while steady. I've been very impressed. I just bought the Kuiu Bino Harnes for them. These binos are replacing some cheapo Bushnell and the Zeiss will go with me to hunt Wyoming this fall. I went with the Conquest HD over the Swarovision due to cost.

I didn't like any of the Vortex lines. And if you buy them, you are likely to use thier legendary warranty. I'm amazed at how many guys have issues with Vortex. The Zeiss look clearer than the Razer line to me. The Razer felt cheap in hand. The runner up was the Nikon Monark 7. If I wanted to save some money, I'd get the Monark 7s. But the Zeiss Con HD are head and shoulders above those.

Only pic I have of the Conquest HD with some othe stuff I've bought in the last few months.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like you're set Click.  Some great lope hunting in Wyoming; I'm jealous.

Part of me is thinking I just spend the money on alpha glass instead of second guessing my purchase for the years to come.  Buy once cry once...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have some Bushnell XLT's right now and they're garbage.  Was going to buy a spotting scope but everyone I will be hunting with are telling me to wait and spend that $$$ on quality optics.  Just can't afford the Swaro's like they're all using.

Current rifle set up is a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather Light with a 3.5-10 Leupold VX-3i CDS so I feel good about that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice rifle setup. You will spend a lot of time behind those binoculars. We bought nicer binoculars this spring and couldn't be happier. Look forward to spending more in the future. Went from Nikon Trailblazer 8X42 to Leupold BX-3 10X42. The difference is amazing. Not so much when just looking around, but sure shows when really picking country apart.  People in the know say to spend good money on binoculars. After making an upgrade I couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks like you're set Click.  Some great lope hunting in Wyoming; I'm jealous.

Part of me is thinking I just spend the money on alpha glass instead of second guessing my purchase for the years to come.  Buy once cry once...
View Quote

It's been many years since I've big game hunted. I just kept buying points in Wyoming and finally bit the bullet and applied for a tag. I'm hoping for a good hunt.

I was planning on buying binos between $400-$700. I ended up spending $1,087.00 and don't regret it (see the mess in the link below). With my allotted bino budget, I couldn't go all the way to the price of the Swaro. These Zeiss should last me forever.

Btw, I've seen one guy that found an open box or demo Conquest HD for $700 ish. They were the 8x40. You might keep looking around to find a similar deal.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1876742_Binoculars_in_the__400_700_range__Which______And_the_whinner_is___.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top