Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2016 2:29:11 PM EDT
Picked some up at academy to try in a bolt gun, 16in.

Anybody use these on deer with good results/expansion?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

View Quote
I handloaded the 208 when I could still find the bullets.  I haven't shot any deer with them, but they are very accurate and very, very quiet from my 9" Noveske.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
The 208gr AMAX subs are accurate & quiet but expand they do not.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:16:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I've taken deer with em but the bullet might as well have been fmj.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 4:50:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote
I couldn't get them quiet enough in my 16 inch barrel so I switched to 220 Nosler

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#5]
As noted, you won't get any expansion. I wouldn't use them to hunt with.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Ah. Thanks everyone. I was hoping to get a little expansion out of these. Have to find another brand I guess.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#7]
The ticket for impressive subsonic expansion is Leehigh Defense's 194gr Max Expansion round. Pricey but worth it.

Better price for loaded ammunition if you don't roll your own - note, out of stock at the moment - http://beckammunition.com/ammunition/300-blackout/300-blackout-subsonic-194gr-lehigh-maximum-expansion.html

Pulled from 5th water jug - full expansion before exiting 1st jug based on the exit hole & entry into the 2nd / Distance of 35m / 950fps & those petals have a serious edge on them.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Good advice.  My 300blk 150 gr loads were not fast enough to expand last year.  I had to put down a deer with my pistol after shooting him from my stand.  I am using 120 gr supers now, loaded much faster
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The ticket for impressive subsonic expansion is Leehigh Defense's 194gr Max Expansion round. Pricey but worth it.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/products/300-aac-blackout-whisper-194gr-subsonic-maximum-expansion-ammo?variant=1066138648
Better price for loaded ammunition if you don't roll your own - note, out of stock at the moment - http://beckammunition.com/ammunition/300-blackout/300-blackout-subsonic-194gr-lehigh-maximum-expansion.html

Pulled from 5th water jug - full expansion before exiting 1st jug based on the exit hole & entry into the 2nd / Distance of 35m / 950fps & those petals have a serious edge on them.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f160/HDHNTER/194gr_zpsyv9j4pop.png
View Quote

Been looking at the lehigh but can't ever find it in stock for a decent price. $2.50 a round from the manufacturer is high for me. And I don't roll my own, yet.

What is the consensus on this stuff? Looks fun. http://www.lehighdefense.com/products/controlled-fracturing-300-aac-blackout-whisper-168gr-ammo?variant=1065864960
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Been using barnes 110 gr tsx with excellent results, from an AR. But wanted to go super quiet with the new bolt gun this year.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Haven't tried the 168gr Controlled Fracturing pill yet, looks pretty damn wicked.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm working on a load for the 208 AMAX and the 194 ME. My first attempt was a no-go due to chronograph problems. Since then I bought a Magnetospeed V3 but I haven't gotten around to another attempt.

I like the two because they are ballistically similar enough that the 208 can be used to plink/practice with before hunting with the 194 without having to change the zero on the rifle.

Does anyone have some good load data for an 8" barrel? The last loads I did sounded like they were supersonic but I'm not sure due to the aforementioned chrono problems.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP,
    The 208GR. AMAX and most other conventional subs do not expand so multiple shots are the rule unless you hit the CNS. The LEHIGH & MAKER milled copper HP bullets expand very well at subsonic MV. For extremely low noise signature in a suppressed 16" RARR bolt rifle, I just use 150GR. FMJs at 1000 FPS on varmints and predators and took dozens with this load last turkey season. The bullet slapping flesh & bone is the loudest noise you hear. That way, I don't scare the turkey flocks off the property where I can't hunt them. HTH

Water shots:

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 11:46:15 AM EDT
[#14]
That graph is perfect. Thanks!

I deer harvest (can't call it hunting) in my backyard with a distance of about 15-20 yards. I need them to drop fast without getting over the fence into the ranch behind us where I'd have to go looking for them or wander into the owners shooting lanes. The Barnes normally has them on the ground within 30 yards and haven't needed a follow up yet.

Just wanted something without the super sonic crack so I don't wake the neighbors up early (in a subdivision where shooting is legal). Other use would be lobbing on pigs from 200-300 yards. Looks like I'll be picking up some Lehigh soon. Probably grab some of the 168gr too to try. For some reason I thought the AMAX would expand but I'll save it for the stuff I want to run off and die elsewhere, like the pigs that invade my yard from time to time.

Thanks for the feedback, looks like Lehigh is the answer.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Ah, a backyard hunter. Lucky dog! The good news for you is that both the subsonic 208GR. AMAX & the 194GR LEHIGH grouped right at 1"@100yds. (5 shot group). I just shot a bobcat in my backyard over in MS. with a 150GR. FMJ sub so as not to disturb the neighbors in the middle of the night.. They appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I hunted last year with subsonic 208 gr AMAX bullets. I used Hornady factory loads as I didn't get reloading dies in til it was too late to work up a load. The bullets worked well for me. I shot 3 deer and one dropped in place and the other two might have made 50 yards. I only thought to take pics of the last one. Big doe shot at 80 yards. The bullet broke a rib going in and broke two ribs going out. Internal damage was about the same as when I shoot deer with a 44 magnum pistol. I don't think the bullet expanded but it went sideways through most of the deer. All three I shot had similar damage. I worked up a load for this hunting season with the AMAX bullets at 1000 fps. Shoots in an inch at 100 yds. I'll keep using it.

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I've seen a lot of hogs shot with 300 Blk and 308 Win. subsonic run off never to be found.  Couple hogs that were found showed no sign of expansion leaving just ice pick wound.  One shot hog shot through the heart ran 500+ yards before it completely bleed out.  I've heard there are couple of specialty bullets that will expand at subsonic speed but most common bullets do not.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#18]
I like others I noticed very little if any expansion on the 3 deer I shot last year. Most of my shots are 50-80 yards so this year I'm going to try using supersonics with my suppressor. So at least  I wont be deaf by 40 years old.

Tagged if anyone finds a different sub bullet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:31:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I was wondering if 220 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter would be a better load as the BC is much worse and it is slightly heavier creating more ft/lbs terminal impact at the same velocity.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Recently loaded some 208 Amax sub's using 10.7 gr of A 1680.

Did not crono but were sub sonic out of a 10.5" barrel.

Tested at 25 yards for penetration, took a 5 gallon bucket filled with shredded rubber, then (2) 6"x6" treated pine, then a ply wood backing and a stump base.

Short story, complete penetration and only recovered 1 projectile, all others were buried in the stump base. The one round we recovered was undamaged.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:49:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I just got some some Lehigh 194 in. Thinking that'll be my load for deer this year. I'll save the AMAX for pigs so they can go die on the ranch they came from.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#23]
The AMAX is going away, being replaced by the ELD line.  Prob has the same effects, 208 gr bullets as a lil bit better coefficient.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top