Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2016 9:29:02 AM EDT
Going to be shooting the new 458 socom this year during deer season.   While preliminary sighting in,  I forgot to lower my ear pro on one shot.   Needless to say,  the cannon caused a few days of hearing loss.   This thing is loud.

What are you guys using out in the woods?
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#1]
On my hunting rifles I install a Linear Compensator which directs the blast and the sound down range. It doesnt do much when at the range under a roof or if there are walls but in the open woods there is a difference in noise level as the shooter. I cant wear the amplified ear protection because its hard to tell direction of the noise so I end up swinging me head around a lot. Im sure its the model I have but it would be interesting to hear if other people have the same experience.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I wear the Howard Leight Impact Sports. I actually prefer to hunt with them now. I'll even use them in bow season. It's amazing how much better you hear in the woods with amplification. No issues determining direction of sound either.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I hunt with 6.8 suppressed
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have always kept a pair of soft ear plugs in my pocket.   If I have time to put them in before a shot I certainly will.  Before they broke my Dillon electronic muffs kept my head/ears warm while having slight amplification.  This is back when I was hunting from a wooden blind shack with a .300 win mag with a boss brake.  Ear protection was needed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On my hunting rifles I install a Linear Compensator which directs the blast and the sound down range. It doesnt do much when at the range under a roof or if there are walls but in the open woods there is a difference in noise level as the shooter. I cant wear the amplified ear protection because its hard to tell direction of the noise so I end up swinging me head around a lot. Im sure its the model I have but it would be interesting to hear if other people have the same experience.
View Quote

This really isn't an option for me.   The 458 has the Tromix brake on it and it helps quite a bit with recoil(which isn't that big a deal to start).   I have thought about looking into a kak flash can but this will only maximize the push of recoil albeit projecting most of the sound forward.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Full disclosure, I am NOT an experienced hunter.

What I did last year was wear some basic "ear plugs on strings" style ear pro.  I kept the right ear in, and the left side out.  Since I was hunting from a blind, it wasn't a big deal to put the left one in before shooting.  Of course, I only saw one dear, and didn't get a shot on it anyway.  However, it did not see me put the ear plug in
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing.  Gotta hear those deer.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Try Walker game ears. They have 2 microphones on each side making it easy to pinpoint where sounds are coming from and they shutoff at 80db.and become ear muffs.
Link Posted: 7/1/2016 12:22:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]

You're a machinist?  Clicky and read through here: Suppressors - Build It Yourself.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I hunt with a suppressed 6.8 wylde

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Am I missing something, or does that graphic show a completely superfluous icon in the legend, one which is not used in the actual graphic - the wolf representing varmint hunting?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Am I missing something, or does that graphic show a completely superfluous icon in the legend, one which is not used in the actual graphic - the wolf representing varmint hunting?
View Quote

I couldn't find the wolf either.  Gemtech needs to do an update. It appears to have been created prior to 8-1-15 and at least 2 states have changed since then (MN for hunting & VT for ownership are now legal, as reflected in the tweaked version above).

eta: Sent 'em a note.

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:03:22 PM EDT
[#15]
FYI OP... I've not noticed the sound of the actual shots I've taken when I've actually killed an animal, including deer with both 12G and 300BLK.   Not sure if it is auditory exclusion, or just that in the grand scheme of things the sounds of the gun shot weren't as loud as when I'm target shooting.

I've been there though...at the range and forgot my ear pro.  A few rounds from .223 is enough to get me to pack up.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Try Walker game ears. They have 2 microphones on each side making it easy to pinpoint where sounds are coming from and they shutoff at 80db.and become ear muffs.
View Quote

I use the Walkers Game Ears for spring turkey hunting and will likely try them in the fall for deer.  A lifetime of gun fire, chainsaws and loud rock bands have taken its toll.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 2:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I always remove my brakes from rifles when I am hunting deer. In the heat of the moment I have yet to feel the recoil and I have shot some pretty heavy loads including .30-.378 Wby. Mag. Woods hunting I rarely have time to put on my ear pro, field hunting I will put on my muffs before the shot as long as time is allowed. They are Walkers Quad Game Ears, I would not recommend them while in the stand though. They might have stereo surround capabilities but it can be tough to tell the direction of what you are hearing. Work great at the range though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Will try the walkers.   After this upcoming season,  I will look into the suppressor.   Don't want to drop coin on one now that will match only with the big bore until this rifle has proven itself in the woods.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
... I've not noticed the sound of the actual shots I've taken when I've actually killed an animal,...  Not sure if it is auditory exclusion, or just that in the grand scheme of things the sounds of the gun shot weren't as loud as when I'm target shooting.
View Quote

Personally if i'm not hunting with a suppressor (VA resident) I'm wearing Howard Leight Impact Sport earpro, it actually lets me hear more than I would with my naked ears. That being said, a good buddy of mine who has been hunting wayyyyyy longer than me has been using the same remmy 700 in .243 since he was old enough to hold it, has never worn ear protection when hunting, and swears he can't hear the gun go off when he's got a deer in the scope. On the other hand, every time we go to the range we all wear earpro.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wear the Howard Leight Impact Sports. I actually prefer to hunt with them now. I'll even use them in bow season. It's amazing how much better you hear in the woods with amplification. No issues determining direction of sound either.
View Quote

Same here! They also keep my ears warm when it's cool out
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't wear hearing protection in the woods, I have to be able to hear the deer.  Although, I have thought about taking them with me.  I have some push in ear plugs that go in really quick and easy, they're not the foam ones that you have to compress and let expand...they just press in.  I thought about putting these on a string and if time allowed I would throw them in before the shot.

Anymore, I pretty much do all my hunting with a stick and string.  You see more game, get closer to them, and absolutely no need for hearing protection.  Rifle hunting just doesn't do it for me anymore, but it's nice to get out in the woods with friend during the gun season.  So I still usually take one deer a year with a rifle.

Dove hunting, however, I do wear ear pro for that.  Lots of rounds being shot.  No real need to hear them coming though, so it's not really a big deal.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I use Howard Leight electronic muffs. I have hearing loss because shootings and training. I started using them 2 seasons ago after getting hearing aids. Its amazing how much you miss, turn up the volume and you'll hear deer up to 200 yards away moving thru the woods. Happened to me in W. VA while I was hunting a hay field, he was in the woods about 50 yards deep when i spotted him. He came into the edge of the field still 175 yards away walking my direction. Took my muffs off, couldnt hear him. As soon as I put them on, could hear the leaves along the field edge he was walking on! He wasnt a shooter but I always wear them now. The plus side is my ears are warmer.  You gotta try them
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I couldn't find the wolf either.  Gemtech needs to do an update. It appears to have been created prior to 8-1-15 and at least 2 states have changed since then (MN for hunting & VT for ownership are now legal, as reflected in the tweaked version above).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Hampshire also legalized suppressors for hunting since that map was made.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I use Howard Leight electronic muffs. I have hearing loss because shootings and training. I started using them 2 seasons ago after getting hearing aids. Its amazing how much you miss, turn up the volume and you'll hear deer up to 200 yards away moving thru the woods. Happened to me in W. VA while I was hunting a hay field, he was in the woods about 50 yards deep when i spotted him. He came into the edge of the field still 175 yards away walking my direction. Took my muffs off, couldnt hear him. As soon as I put them on, could hear the leaves along the field edge he was walking on! He wasnt a shooter but I always wear them now. The plus side is my ears are warmer.  You gotta try them
View Quote

Thats what I said early on in this post. It's amazing how much they add to the experience. I will even use them during archery season. No trouble hearing and no trouble determining direction.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.  Map updated and replaced above.

"On June 9, New Hampshire became the 40th state to pass legislation to allow hunting with firearms suppressors with the adoption of House Bill 500, the Hunter’s Hearing Protection Act."

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

That's what I said early on in this post. It's amazing how much they add to the experience. I will even use them during archery season. No trouble hearing and no trouble determining direction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use Howard Leight electronic muffs. I have hearing loss because shootings and training. I started using them 2 seasons ago after getting hearing aids. Its amazing how much you miss, turn up the volume and you'll hear deer up to 200 yards away moving thru the woods. Happened to me in W. VA while I was hunting a hay field, he was in the woods about 50 yards deep when i spotted him. He came into the edge of the field still 175 yards away walking my direction. Took my muffs off, couldnt hear him. As soon as I put them on, could hear the leaves along the field edge he was walking on! He wasnt a shooter but I always wear them now. The plus side is my ears are warmer.  You gotta try them.
That's what I said early on in this post. It's amazing how much they add to the experience. I will even use them during archery season. No trouble hearing and no trouble determining direction.

Hmm, they're not expensive either. Midway  has 'em on sale now for $39.  Nmb got my attention with his statement above.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use them too hunting.

OP, maybe lose the MB if you have one.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#28]
SiCo Hybrid 46 sounds like it's just for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top