Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2016 1:26:27 AM EDT
Later this year I plan on going on a hunting trip or 2 with my grandfather, he has been hunting much longer than I've been alive. Now my question is, how bad of an idea would it be for me to use my AR that I built this year, I have been reading great things in this section about the Barnes TSX round and if I use my AR I would use a round with this projectile. I know there are better options but my choices now are using this rifle and buying the ammo listed above which is my cheapest option, or building an upper for a larger round like a 6.8spc which is the more expensive option. There is also the option of buying a rifle dedicated to hunting but I really love the AR platform.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:06:13 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of deer? Whitetail? if we are talking about private property in the south and you are a good shot using great ammunition and the range will be less than 200 yards you'll be okay. Otherwise consider getting something with a bit more horsepower. You should also check local regulations in using .223/5.56. Realistically if you aren't a hunter and haven't before and are trying to get into it you should ask your grandfather (who has been hunting for longer than you have been alive) for advice on what to use. Pro tip: If you are planning on learning to hunt big game in north america you cannot go wrong with a .270 or 30-06 bolt gun (such as a tikka t3 which is highly recommended).

I love hunting with my AR, but it is wise to have a .270 or .30 cal bolt in the safe, trust me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 2:13:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the quick reply. His hunting property is in S. GA so yes white tail. He doesn't like the idea of using 223 but I remained hopeful due to what I read here but I do know that those recounts are from experienced hunters. I have also seen a ton of recommendation from people for the Tikka T3 and it is at the top of my list for a bolt rifle which I am also leaning towards.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Could always get the 25-45 barrel for your AR and use that round. It is a much harder hitting .223 style round.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#4]
In my world,  you do what the landowner wishes.

If Gpaw don't like .223, then it would be respectful not to come back at him with a bunch of "the guys on the internet said it's OK" nonsense.

Buy or borrow a bigger rifle.   As previously mentioned, 270 win does everything you need and more so you can focus on LEARNING TO HUNT rather than the limitations of your weapon.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Pick yourself up a decent bolt action rifle in a caliber of your choice for hunting with Grand Dad.  Hard to beat the .308 for all around utility and ammo availability.  The Savage Axis or Ruger American can be had very reasonably and will serve you well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:58:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the insight guys, looks like I'll be keeping an eye open for a bolt action rifle over the next few months.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the typical size deer there? "Whitetail" is a very different animal in different regions of the country.

If you're unsatisfied with the prospects of 223, get a 6.8 upper for your AR and worry no more. Call it "270" for the benefit of the more traditional if you like.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Typical Georgia buck is a lot bigger than Florida buck.
I would not hesitate to use .223 on Florida deer but I would be hesitant to use it on Georgia deer.
Check out local pawn shops for a used bolt action rifle in appropriate caliber.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my world,  you do what the landowner wishes.

If Gpaw don't like .223, then it would be respectful not to come back at him with a bunch of "the guys on the internet said it's OK" nonsense.

Buy or borrow a bigger rifle.   As previously mentioned, 270 win does everything you need and more so you can focus on LEARNING TO HUNT rather than the limitations of your weapon.
View Quote

That's my take on it.  .223 with the right bullet and a good shooter will absolutely get the job done.  There are a ton of posts in this forum to attest to that.  

However, why argue the point?  I wouldn't do it with my grandfather, and certainly not with a landowner.  I've hunted property located in a rifle legal zone, but the landowner requested only muzzleloaders or shotguns.  Guess what, my rifles stayed at home in the safe and I hunted ML/shotgun.

Two options: 1. buy a bolt action rifle in a hunting caliber or 2. build a 6.8/6.5 upper.  

You'll find one of the best things about shopping for used bolt action rifles is many of them will be shot very little and are available at a great price.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say build another upper instead. Adds a bunch of versatility. Wolf is now manufacturing 6.5Grendel ammo for plinking. 6.8 is definitely very capable. I like the 25-45 a LOT and will probably get one at some point. Nice thing about it is that you only need a new barrel.
In all honesty, I don't think you need anything more than .223 on S. GA deer - but as mentioned - it's what he prefers.
If you are going to get a bolt action anyways, you have some options.
If you plan to hunt anything larger than white tail, then the 270 or a 30 - 06 would be perfect. If you are only going to hunt deer and hogs, then a .243 or .308 will serve you very well. Heck, even a good 30-30 lever gun will do well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I will either keep an eye out for a used bolt action or build an upper for 6.8spc. Worst comes to worst my mom's boyfriend has a 45-70 lever and a 30-30 lever, we both will be going on the trip so worst case we bring both of those and I use the 30-30.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of people poo poo the .223 for deer but it kills em dead with a good shot...Or they can run a mile just like I've seen them do after being shot with damn near anything else. I've shot em thru the lungs, thru the heart, neck/spine, big guns/small guns. Sometimes they die, sometimes they go all superdeer, regardless of how badly you gelatinize their internal organs. It's crazy.

I personally like .243 in a Ruger M77/MK II stainless /synthetic. Indestructible and yet light and handy. Same model can be had in .270, etc.

Screw it man blast it with whatever is legal, just make a good shot.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the insight guys, looks like I'll be keeping an eye open for a bolt action rifle over the next few months.

View Quote

Build a .300 upper for the AR?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#14]
How would your grandfather feel about something like a 6.8SPC?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't pick my hunting cartridges simply based on the personal likes, or dislikes, of other people.  I think that would be a bad habit to get into.  I have killed deer and hogs with the .223, .243 Win, .308 Win, .308 Marlin Express, and the .30-06.  All of them did just fine.  The two bullets I've used in the .223 is the Sierra 65 grain Game King and the Federal Fusion.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I personally think 223 if fine for an experienced hunter. First time hunter not so much.
Inexperienced hunters tend to get excited and don't wait for a ideal shot.
To kill humanely with a 223, you need a well placed shot.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#17]
6.8mmSPC

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had mentioned the 6.8spc to him and he had never heard of the round, not one he has been using so he didn't know anything about it, so he didn't really have an opinion on it. I'm pretty sure what I'm gonna do is build a 6.8 upper for now and eventually build a lower for it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had mentioned the 6.8spc to him and he had never heard of the round, not one he has been using so he didn't know anything about it, so he didn't really have an opinion on it. I'm pretty sure what I'm gonna do is build a 6.8 upper for now and eventually build a lower for it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PSA frequently runs sales on their 6.8 SPC uppers and the accuracy reports have been generally positive for a "relatively" inexpensive 6.8 option.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Pick yourself up a decent bolt action rifle in a caliber of your choice for hunting with Grand Dad.  Hard to beat the .308 for all around utility and ammo availability.  The Savage Axis or Ruger American can be had very reasonably and will serve you well.
View Quote

I bought my wife a Ruger American in .308 from Buds for right at $300. Very happy with it.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I don't pick my hunting cartridges simply based on the personal likes, or dislikes, of other people.  I think that would be a bad habit to get into.  I have killed deer and hogs with the .223, .243 Win, .308 Win, .308 Marlin Express, and the .30-06.  All of them did just fine.  The two bullets I've used in the .223 is the Sierra 65 grain Game King and the Federal Fusion.
View Quote
His grandfather is taking him (don't know if the man is also the landowner) in any case the fact this thread exists means the 223 is an issue - how about don't beat on your chest and act like a dick, respect his wishes as this will tend to get you more opportunities in the future.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#22]
OP what is your general location?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
His grandfather is taking him (don't know if the man is also the landowner) in any case the fact this thread exists means the 223 is an issue - how about don't beat on your chest and act like a dick, respect his wishes as this will tend to get you more opportunities in the future.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of people have issues about a lot of things; calibers, bullets, scopes, stocks, etc.  I think it is ungentlemanly for one person to tell another what they can hunt with.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
A lot of people have issues about a lot of things; calibers, bullets, scopes, stocks, etc.  I think it is ungentlemanly for one person to tell another what they can hunt with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps; but who holds the power in this situation - grandpa it seems. I'd rather hunt than miss out on the opportunity.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Grab a gun link

Got this in an email today.  Ruger American rifle in .308 for $339.00.  Every one I have fired (or seen fired) has been surprising accurate for an inexpensive rifle.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Grab a gun link

Got this in an email today.  Ruger American rifle in .308 for $339.00.  Every one I have fired (or seen fired) has been surprising accurate for an inexpensive rifle.
View Quote

No lie. This is 200 yards cold bore, shot with Remington Corelokt.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s911.photobucket.com/user/colorsplash-10/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160506_194146393_zpsgynogy8m.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac311/colorsplash-10/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160506_194146393_zpsgynogy8m.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Grab a gun link

<a href="http://s911.photobucket.com/user/colorsplash-10/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160506_194146393_zpsgynogy8m.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac311/colorsplash-10/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160506_194146393_zpsgynogy8m.jpg</a>

The Ruger Americans are impressive for a budget gun.
I recently bought a 308 Predator model, and it shoots better than I do.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am in the Tampa area

I am almost 100% decided on building a 6.8spc upper (and eventually full rifle) as I see it as an excuse to build an AR in a different caliber.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I am in the Tampa area

I am almost 100% decided on building a 6.8spc upper (and eventually full rifle) as I see it as an excuse to build an AR in a different caliber.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am in the Tampa area

I am close to you and have a Browning ABolt in 30-06 that you are welcome to borrow if needed.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I am close to you and have a Browning ABolt in 30-06 that you are welcome to borrow if needed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am in the Tampa area

That is a really generous offer man thanks. I have had a couple guys I work with offer up multiple hunting rifles and I know my grandfather has many I could borrow, I just like the idea of being able to use a rifle I either built or bought since it would be mine and I'd be able to say I took a deer with my rifle. I know it's a dumb reason but in my head it makes sense lol.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That is a really generous offer man thanks. I have had a couple guys I work with offer up multiple hunting rifles and I know my grandfather has many I could borrow, I just like the idea of being able to use a rifle I either built or bought since it would be mine and I'd be able to say I took a deer with my rifle. I know it's a dumb reason but in my head it makes sense lol.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am in the Tampa area

I understand, but the offer stands if needed.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 3:18:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree.  Could also go find a used bolt or lever action.  243(use premium bullets),257 roberts(hard to find ammo), 25-06(more expensive ammo) 270,7mm08(little more expensive for ammo)308 or 3006 are all great deer cartridges.  If ranges are short(likely in s GA) a 30-30 would be a very good choice as well.  Respect the landowner's wishes.  If you hit one with the 223 and didn't get it you would never hear the end of it or not be invited back.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I personally think 223 if fine for an experienced hunter. First time hunter not so much.
Inexperienced hunters tend to get excited and don't wait for a ideal shot.
To kill humanely with a 223, you need a well placed shot.
View Quote

They all need a well placed shot, difference is the 223 is shot presentation.  I wouldn't take a quartering toward shot with the 223  and expect to break the shoulder(it might do it or might not)  I have taken that shot with a 308 and 270 and they will go through.  In thick cover its often not easy to get a perfect angle for the shot I have killed a few does with a 223 savage bolt and it works but I only take bow angle shots.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I just picked up a used Ruger American 270 with bushnell banner scope and 34 rounds for $200 keep your eye out for something used.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Describe the 6.8 SPC as a ."270 Winchester light".  Obviously not exactly correct, since the 6.8 case is in no way related to .270 Win, but both fire a .277 bullet.

I have not checked the ballistics, but my thought is the performance of a 6.8 SPC would be somewhere between a .270 Win normal and .270 "youth" loads.

I think all old timers would agree a .270 Win is plenty of gun for whitetail, and most would think a reduced recoil .270 Win okay for whitetail within most real world hunting distances.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

PSA frequently runs sales on their 6.8 SPC uppers and the accuracy reports have been generally positive for a "relatively" inexpensive 6.8 option.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have recently purchased a PSA 16" 6.8 SPC upper with their FN CHF barrel.  I've only had a few range sessions, and only tried 90 gr GD to date, but I am happy with how this rifle is shaping up.  It is going to be my deer hunting rifle next year.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I know the AR platform will do the job. But I would use what your Grandfather wants

you to use out of respect for him and the people that you will be hunting with.

It would not hurt to bring your new AR to show them there are new ways.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I just can't see any advantage a 223 has over something more powerful for whitetail.

My only experience is with WI whitetails though.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am in the Tampa area

Not a dumb reason at all.  Hell I still save the brass from the rounds I've killed deer with.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not a dumb reason at all.  Hell I still save the brass from the rounda I've killed deer with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am in the Tampa area

Not a dumb reason at all.  Hell I still save the brass from the rounda I've killed deer with.

I do the same.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I am in the Tampa area

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am in the Tampa area

I like the way you think! 120 grain SST and your set. My daughter has killed a truck load of deer with both the 90 barns 110 Vmax and the 120 SST. Now Grandpa may be a little intimidated by the large capacity mags so bring a couple of 5 or 10 round mags. Practice then practice some more and make sure he sees you check your rifle. Good marksmanship goes along way.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#42]
I will definitely be using smaller capacity magazines partially to make the rifle a little easier to maneuver and partially because my grandfather isn't completely up to date on the current capacity laws in GA for hunting with a rifle and has mentioned a couple times that there is a 5 round limit and no matter how many times I mention otherwise he doesn't seem to remember.

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I will definitely be using smaller capacity magazines partially to make the rifle a little easier to maneuver and partially because my grandfather isn't completely up to date on the current capacity laws in GA for hunting with a rifle and has mentioned a couple times that there is a 5 round limit and no matter how many times I mention otherwise he doesn't seem to remember.

View Quote

No problems with that.  I plan to use 10 round magazines loaded with 8 rounds (just because those last two rounds in my ASC mags are a pain to load) for hunting deer.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#44]
A 223 with the right bullet on the small deer will work if you hit them in the right spot.  Im from Wisconsin, and a 300 lbs buck will laugh at a 223 in most cases, unless you hit them perfect.  Just not worth the trouble for me as I dont like to chase my deer.  I use a 308 or 300 BO, and Im thinking about a 458 SOCOM and a 6.5 Grendel because I can.  I also reload, so I can build up whatever I want, test it, and be ready to go.

For my money though, Id run something bigger.  What you buy also should reflect on distances shot.  A 300 BO upper with the right bullet is an absolute killer at 150 yards and in.  A 6.5 Grendel would be a great choice if you need to reach out 300+ yards.  Lots of other choices, those are just examples.  

If you want to go traditional, a 30-30 is a great gun for 150 yards and under.  A 308, 30-06, 270, (insert standard caliber here) bolt gun is a good choice and will get you out there if you need to take a long shot.  Shop around at local shops, Armslist, whatever, you can probably find a nice rifle for a reasonable cost.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Want to hunt with your AR but want to keep it cheap?  Easy.
Here is what you need:
1. 300 Blackout barrel.  Check out Ballistic Advantage BA Hanson barrel.
2. Barrel nut wrench that fits your nut. If you have a standard nut, then get AR armors tool.
3. Foot lbs torque wrench.
4. Upper reciever vice block.  I use this.
5.  new standard 556 bolt (not complete BCG) for the barrel.
Done.
Swaping barrels isnt a difficult task.  Tons of instruction online.
You can always slowly buy the remaining parts for a complete upper as you see deals, like on the Equipment Exchange.  
Anything loaded with Barnes Tac TX is going to get the job well done.  Ive found that HPR w/ Barnes shoots the best.  MidwayUSA has it.

Since you are hunting in GA, I doubt you will see anything past 100 yds.  Especially early in the season.  I hunt S. GA and usually I'm using 300 SBR.  You want to stay under 100 yards anyway. being your first time.  

If you catch the hunting bug, then at some point 6.5 grendel or 6.8 SPC will get you to those big food plots or tall pine areas.  But thats hunting grounds when the first freeze hits and acorns are scarce.  Till then, you will be in thick woods, or swamp, if you want a deer before January.  

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#46]
62 or 64 grain bonded will work great on whitetails.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
62 or 64 grain bonded will work great on whitetails.
View Quote

I just got a few boxes of Barnes 62 grain TSX ammo and I'll be trying that load out of an 18" Noveske for my antlerless deer hunting this winter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 2:32:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Want to hunt with your AR but want to keep it cheap?  Easy.
Here is what you need:
1. 300 Blackout barrel.  Check out Ballistic Advantage BA Hanson barrel.
2. Barrel nut wrench that fits your nut. If you have a standard nut, then get AR armors tool.
3. Foot lbs torque wrench.
4. Upper reciever vice block.  I use this.
5.  new standard 556 bolt (not complete BCG) for the barrel.
Done.
Swaping barrels isnt a difficult task.  Tons of instruction online.
You can always slowly buy the remaining parts for a complete upper as you see deals, like on the Equipment Exchange.  
Anything loaded with Barnes Tac TX is going to get the job well done.  Ive found that HPR w/ Barnes shoots the best.  MidwayUSA has it.

Since you are hunting in GA, I doubt you will see anything past 100 yds.  Especially early in the season.  I hunt S. GA and usually I'm using 300 SBR.  You want to stay under 100 yards anyway. being your first time.  

If you catch the hunting bug, then at some point 6.5 grendel or 6.8 SPC will get you to those big food plots or tall pine areas.  But thats hunting grounds when the first freeze hits and acorns are scarce.  Till then, you will be in thick woods, or swamp, if you want a deer before January.  

View Quote

I have convinced myself that I'm going to build a 6.8spc upper, and also keep an eye out for a bolt gun because we'll can never have too many rifles. I built my first AR earlier this year from the ground up and am in the process of building a 2nd, I have however decided to build a 6.8 upper before I build the upper for the 2nd AR(which will be a 556 upper).

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm from SW GA (SOWEGA), as a first time deer hunter, I recommend you borrow a 30.06 or 30-30.  Probably more deer have been killed with those two in SOWEGA than all other guns combined.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top