BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 7:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I LOL'd for years at the states that mandated slug guns for deer hunting for fear of "richocheing  bulletz flying everywhere" with no hard evidence that would happen

The only thing worse was the hunters that believed it and thought "it's different in my state/people will be killed in untold numbers" and didn't want it changed.

Stupid laws like this are the result of the same unfounded fear.
View Quote
Dead on; there are those here that think the innocents are going to die and the herd is going to be wiped out. When you point out what about other States - yep; you get oh it's different here; umm no it isn't.

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Dead on; there are those here that think the innocents are going to die and the herd is going to be wiped out. When you point out what about other States - yep; you get oh it's different here; umm no it isn't.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I LOL'd for years at the states that mandated slug guns for deer hunting for fear of "richocheing  bulletz flying everywhere" with no hard evidence that would happen

The only thing worse was the hunters that believed it and thought "it's different in my state/people will be killed in untold numbers" and didn't want it changed.

my favorites are.. "We have houses out here...", " Land is too flat..."
the best ones will knock it up a notch by telling you they are a "Bow Hunter" and really don't need to rifle hunt.

l
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth be told, I think the flat lands, houses too close, etc. is more folk legend than actual reasons cited by the DNR.  I say that, but of course don't have the detailed history that went into the decision.

What I have heard is that the restrictions were put in place here to help the herd rebound, perhaps in the 70's or 80's.   The deer in Indiana have had a bit of a yo-yo in population.  The herd was really thing, then we had a period of over population, and now its pretty healthy and to the point where to manage it, adding additional rifle calibers should not have a major impact to numbers.

All of that his hearsay, so may not be any more accurate than anything else you've heard, but sounds plausible to me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Truth be told, I think the flat lands, houses too close, etc. is more folk legend than actual reasons cited by the DNR.  I say that, but of course don't have the detailed history that went into the decision.

What I have heard is that the restrictions were put in place here to help the herd rebound, perhaps in the 70's or 80's.   The deer in Indiana have had a bit of a yo-yo in population.  The herd was really thing, then we had a period of over population, and now its pretty healthy and to the point where to manage it, adding additional rifle calibers should not have a major impact to numbers.

All of that his hearsay, so may not be any more accurate than anything else you've heard, but sounds plausible to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a transplant so all I have to go on is the word of others and I have also been told the restrictions were due to herd population issues, not safety.

Link Posted: 9/6/2016 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm a transplant so all I have to go on is the word of others and I have also been told the restrictions were due to herd population issues, not safety.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just as stupid a reason.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'd rather see herd numbers controlled with season lengths, bag limits etc as well.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 5:49:22 AM EDT
[#7]
WAIT..NO 45-70 really its not going to kill a deer ..wow who comes up with these lists .
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

WAIT..NO 45-70 really its not going to kill a deer ..wow who comes up with these lists .
View Quote
Politicians.

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, I'd rather see herd numbers controlled with season lengths, bag limits etc as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if you've been tracking changes to those or not, but there have been changes there too.   Especially in the urban zones and with bonus antlerless tags.

Point being that as you said, herd management requires several different parts.  I think the "relaxing " of calibers is part of that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thankful I live in the Pacific northwest, we have a few legislators that actually hunt and would laugh their counterparts right out of the state capitol over a law this poorly written.

I can understand shotgun only restrictions in some areas, that is usually handled by area regulations, not legislation.

More proof from Indiana that people who don't know what they are doing have been empowered to make the laws of the land.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thankful I live in the Pacific northwest, we have a few legislators that actually hunt and would laugh their counterparts right out of the state capitol over a law this poorly written.

I can understand shotgun only restrictions in some areas, that is usually handled by area regulations, not legislation.

More proof from Indiana that people who don't know what they are doing have been empowered to make the laws of the land.
View Quote

Yep.  Fortunately we're fairly gun friendly overall, so guess we have that going for us.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yep.  Fortunately we're fairly gun friendly overall, so guess we have that going for us.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

True and I'm not worried about HPR's being added; but this whole HPR drill really was a fiasco.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Happy I found this thread. Sort of.
Got the yearly hunting season email from DNR a few months ago, and noticed the addition of rifle.
Did not notice the cartridge length side of the law.

Family is in Jasper county.
I've driven up for archery, muzzle loader, and shotgun seasons over the years. Dont think I'll be back for hunting.

Unfortunately, I worry there will be many hunting related injuries and deaths between now and 2020.
With the muzzle loaders and slug guns, at least that limited the distance stupid people could effect others in their area.

Sitting on the edge of a cut corn/soybean field, w/ a handful of bubbas w/ long guns in neighboring fields, does not appeal to me.
Thats to bad. Alot of great memories of successful whitetail hunts. Pretty disappointed. Be safe out there guys...

Guess the new 45/70 is headed to GB after all

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#14]
There won't be - the sky never falls. Every time there is a change it is always going to cause problems; many people don't handle change well. No our State is not different than other States around us that allow them. Have you ever heard of the study PA  commissioned on HPR's? Unless the HPR is fired with the barrel elevated it is actually safer as the sabots tended to ricochet more.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There won't be - the sky never falls. Every time there is a change it is always going to cause problems; many people don't handle change well. No our State is not different than other States around us that allow them. Have you ever heard of the study PA  commissioned on HPR's?  Unless the HPR is fired with the barrel elevated it is actually safer as the sabots tended to ricochet more.
View Quote

Good morning.
No, not heard of that study... But - I have heard the sound, of a 12g slug wizzing past my head though.
Cuts the air in a very strange way... So admittedly, my perspective has a bias to it

Guess my concern is focused on the uneducated, that would shoot through a hedge row w/out a second thought to whats on the other side. Much less whats 300 yards past it.
Like I said, be careful out there guys. Keep an eye on each other.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Good morning.

No, not heard of that study... But - I have heard the sound, of a 12g slug wizzing past my head though.

Cuts the air in a very strange way... So admittedly, my perspective has a bias to it

Guess my concern is focused on the uneducated, that would shoot through a hedge row w/out a second thought to whats on the other side. Much less whats 300 yards past it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There won't be - the sky never falls. Every time there is a change it is always going to cause problems; many people don't handle change well. No our State is not different than other States around us that allow them. Have you ever heard of the study PA  commissioned on HPR's?  Unless the HPR is fired with the barrel elevated it is actually safer as the sabots tended to ricochet more.

Good morning.

That same guy will be just as dangerous no matter what he has. I had an arrow zip past me in the dark (very dark that morning) way before shooting hours - this was many years ago on some public land in TN. Couldn't tell where it came from exactly so just yelled in the general direction.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yankees...

America's control freaks....
View Quote
The South isn't free. We just focus on dildos, liquor, and fucking.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Would my HK now be legal?

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Indiana is scared that someone will shoot up in the air and kill someone in their house.  They are idiots, basically.  I lived there for 10 years and I hunt there often.  Forget the fact that 90% of the state is a corn field and never mind that many deer hunters are in a tree shooting downward... you have to remember that you can't buy alcohol in a store on Sundays and they were on their own timezone up until a few years ago; they are a little slow on the uptake.

Basically until someone accidentally dies via rifle, they will continue to monitor the results of their GRAND experiment.  As soon as an accident occurs that they can attribute to the ballistics of whatever rifle is used, they will reverse the new policy/law and claim they are saving lives.

In the meantime, I challenge anyone to drive north to south through Indiana and not either fall asleep at the wheel or get 2 speeding tickets for going 68 in a 65 MPH zone..

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Indiana is scared that someone will shoot up in the air and kill someone in their house.  They are idiots, basically.  I lived there for 10 years and I hunt there often.  Forget the fact that 90% of the state is a corn field and never mind that many deer hunters are in a tree shooting downward... you have to remember that you can't buy alcohol in a store on Sundays and they were on their own timezone up until a few years ago; they are a little slow on the uptake.
Basically until someone accidentally dies via rifle, they will continue to monitor the results of their GRAND experiment.  As soon as an accident occurs that they can attribute to the ballistics of whatever rifle is used, they will reverse the new policy/law and claim they are saving lives.
In the meantime, I challenge anyone to drive north to south through Indiana and not either fall asleep at the wheel or get 2 speeding tickets for going 68 in a 65 MPH zone..
View Quote
Don't completely agree. Northern half of the State is heavily fields but get south of INDY and it is more (but not completely) hills. I hunt Morgan and Brown Co's and there are no long flat fields for me. There is a spot we picked up the year east of Columbus that does offer some field shooting though. Historically when something gets put in as a 5 year trial like this it has ended up permanent. IN is not nearly as bad on speeding as Ohio was back when I lived there; you may have encountered some local yokel but my experience has been when someone has had a ticket that I hear about they were 10+ over. Northern past may look like Iowa but the southern part does not - some very nice country there.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they're worried about that they should heavily regulate target shooting or just shooting in general.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If they're worried about that they should heavily regulate target shooting or just shooting in general.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually the DNR put it up as a proposal the year before and they said they had no problem with it - that it was a social issue. It was pretty evenly split for and against so they did not pursue it. If you want to mock then IN hunters would be the target you seek.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Actually the DNR put it up as a proposal the year before and they said they had no problem with it - that it was a social issue. It was pretty evenly split for and against so they did not pursue it. If you want to mock then IN hunters would be the target you seek.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not mocking. Didn't mean it that way. It's just funny to me how different states "think" about hunting regulations. Like several years ago when crossbows were being considered to be made legal here. Everyone thought the deer population would be slaughtered during archery season and none left for gun season.  Or how "unfair" crossbows are as they used a compound bow with every gadget known to man.

Or how baiting being legalized here would be the end of the deer herd from disease, people killing deer over feeders like cattle etc when the state's that border us where it's legal don't have that problem but it will suddenly happen here.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:  So 30-06 was not a legal dear round?  I can kind of see .223 in some states, but 30-06?  

And now .270 is still not legal.... that is one of the most proven hunting cartridges in existence, and has routinely been used on larger game than dear....
View Quote

It's always been illegal to hunt dear, no matter what caliber you used.  Plus she might shoot back.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#25]
The deer population issue is true ask most guys over 60 that are or were avid outdoorsmen when the first time they saw a whitetail was and they can tell you almost to the day. My dad is 65 grew up on a working farm and didn't see his first whitetail until he was in his 20s.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The deer population issue is true ask most guys over 60 that are or were avid outdoorsmen when the first time they saw a whitetail was and they can tell you almost to the day. My dad is 65 grew up on a working farm and didn't see his first whitetail until he was in his 20s.
View Quote

What the deer are shot with isn't the issue. Proper MANAGEMT is the issue. The deer there arent any different than deer everywhere else.
Not only that but in states where centerfire rifles are completely legal most are shot within shotgun slug range

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Not mocking. Didn't mean it that way. It's just funny to me how different states "think" about hunting regulations. Like several years ago when crossbows were being considered to be made legal here. Everyone thought the deer population would be slaughtered during archery season and none left for gun season.  Or how "unfair" crossbows are as they used a compound bow with every gadget known to man.

Or how baiting being legalized here would be the end of the deer herd from disease, people killing deer over feeders like cattle etc when the state's that border us where it's legal don't have that problem but it will suddenly happen here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By greenranger

Go ahead and mock - It's deserved!

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know how I know you are trolling?   Pretty clear you haven't been through in a while.  Most interstates have been 70MPH for quite some time now.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#29]

I'm pretty sure that law is even dumber than the one it replaced.

ETA: 300 Win Mag is kosher but 6.8SPC and 270 Win aren't?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that law is even dumber than the one it replaced.

ETA: 300 Win Mag is kosher but 6.8SPC and 270 Win aren't?
View Quote

Hopefully this season will go well and show that there won't be blood running from the streets after allowing the high power 30 cal options, and then they will update the regulations to allow additional calibers.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top