Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2016 11:11:46 PM EDT
I am wanting to buy a new deer rifle and looking for suggestions. I want 30-06 bolt action. Barrel needs to be stainless or coated for weather. stock will be synthetic. Accuracy is a must. My budget will be $1000 or less. If you have any options to suggest please let me know what it is and why. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:27:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Savage 116 with Nikon...something like $650 at Buds
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 1:32:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Tikka t3 stainless hunter lite $650, then use the other funds on a Leupold vx3 4.5-14 hell of a combo and really light to pack in the Missouri hardwoods
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 2:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Tikka T3 is what you seek.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:08:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd be fine with either the Tikka or Savage that has been suggested.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tikka t3 stainless hunter lite $650, then use the other funds on a Leupold vx3 4.5-14 hell of a combo and really light to pack in the Missouri hardwoods
View Quote

That sounds like a real good option.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with the T3 Tikka fantastic gun. But I would suggest you look into the 6.5x55 Swedish caliber.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I agree with the T3 Tikka fantastic gun. But I would suggest you look into the 6.5x55 Swedish caliber.
View Quote

This will be a 30-06 no matter what. I already have other caliber rifles.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#8]
The Tikka is now new to my list. My other option was the Browning X Bolt but still open to others.I really like the stock on the Browning. I will need to go checkout the Tikka.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I know what NOT to get...

Don't buy a newer Remington.  Quality was great for the last 100 years and more, right up to the take over several years ago.  Recent Rem quality is SHIT.

And absolutely, positively do NOT buy a weatherby.  I spent $1100 on a Vanguard II Backcountry in 30-06.  Not only will it not meet Weatherby's 1 MOA guarantee, it won't even come close.  I ran several hundred reloads of various kinds (Nosler brass, Nosler Accubonds, Partitions and Barnes TTSX) as well as roughly $250 in factory ammo (including Four federal premium loads, two Barnes loads, on win, and two hornady loads.  Not once has this rifle come remotely close to MOA, and this is shooting off a bench and a lead sled with 78 lbs of weight.  Furthermore, I'm getting no real help from weatherby.  If this goes back to weatherby, it will be the second time.  First time was for faulty magazine.  I'm NOT impressed with the service weatherby is providing.  Its sort of "must be the customers fault" attitude.  

I've been highly impressed with the accuracy of savage rifles.  My used, low dollar hog hunter shoots about 5/8 inch at 100 yards.  And this wis with not real load development.  Just a 55 grn ballistic tip over a moderate charge of H322 in 223, all with a cheapo Redfield 3-9x.  This mirrors the results I;ve had with other savages.  Quite impressive considering i spent 1/4 of what I did on the Weatherby.

I've also had really surprising reports regarding Ruger Americans, believe it or not.

I've not shot Tikka, but I'm hearing a lot about them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am wanting to buy a new deer rifle and looking for suggestions. I want 30-06 bolt action. Barrel needs to be stainless or coated for weather. stock will be synthetic. Accuracy is a must. My budget will be $1000 or less. If you have any options to suggest please let me know what it is and why. Thanks in advance.
View Quote

How about a Winchester M70 Classic Stainless?  Not made for many years, but they come up on Gunbroker fairly often.  All stainless, controlled feed, fixed blade ejector.  Years ago Remington made several models of the 700 in stainless, but like others have said, the newer 700's are hit and mostly miss so try to find a 1990's made rifle.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd use as much of that budget as possible on the scope, then see what you have left to buy a rifle. Savage really can't be beat for out of the box accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd use as much of that budget as possible on the scope, then see what you have left to buy a rifle. Savage really can't be beat for out of the box accuracy.
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll vote for Tikka as well. I have a T3 Laminated Stainless and it has to be one of the most beautiful and accurate guns in that price range, and frankly price ranges much higher.

The trigger, action and barrel leave guns costing 2-3X in the dust. Single stack polymer mags are uncomplicated and functional.

If you are dying to spent a little more look at the Sako A7.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#14]
It seems you're looking for a Tikka.

You won't be disappointed, I love mine (also in 30.06)
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I agree with the Tikka recommendations. I shoot a Tikka 7mag with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50. Ive had great luck with this setup.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Tikka t3 all day long. It has one of the smoothest factory action, and will shoot sub-moa with factor ammo out of the box (not saying other brands won't).
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree picked up a used SS lite in 06 last fall for $400 and just love it

ETA this is my 3rd T3
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been using a Marlin 30.30 for the last few years with great success as I found it to be very tree stand friendly......that being said, I just picked up a Browning X-Bolt in 30.06 because I wanted to be able to ethically reach out past 150 yards. The 30.30 can do it, but I didn't want to push it. So far I'm loving the Browning..light and very accurate with a Vortex Viper scope.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:31:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Both recommendations of the tikka and savage 116 are very good, both are very nice rifles. If it can be used, find a t/c icon weathershield. My icon is a frigin lazer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Romanian PSL sniper rifle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Weatherby Vanguard S2 with stainless barrel/action and synthetic stock gets my vote.  I love mine.  It is heavier than the Tikka, but feels more solid and the stock doesnt sound hollow.  The action is butter smooth, trigger is awesome and is an overall great rifle.  You should be able to pick one up a bit cheaper than the Tikka, leaves more money for good glass.  I also like that the barrel on the Vanguard is 24 inches, not 22 like the TIkka.  Mine is in .270 and you really need a 24 inch barrel to make that caliber shine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#22]
In my experience Brownings are very smooth and very accurate.  The 60 degree bolt throw is a nice feature on a scoped rifle.

Weatherby Vanguards made by Howa are quality rifles for the price and accurate too.

It's real hard to get a bad shooter these days with most major brands.

I have two Browning A Bolt II's, one in .270 and one in 300 WSM.  A simple trigger spring change gets the trigger just below 3# and it's crisp to begin with.  You can get a Stainless Stalker for under $700 typically too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In my experience Brownings are very smooth and very accurate.  The 60 degree bolt throw is a nice feature on a scoped rifle.

Weatherby Vanguards made by Howa are quality rifles for the price and accurate too.

It's real hard to get a bad shooter these days with most major brands.

I have two Browning A Bolt II's, one in .270 and one in 300 WSM.  A simple trigger spring change gets the trigger just below 3# and it's crisp to begin with.  You can get a Stainless Stalker for under $700 typically too.
View Quote

Also have had good accuracy with the Browning A-bolts, I like 'em.

Of course a good used Winchester Model 70 might be out
there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

How about a Winchester M70 Classic Stainless?  Not made for many years, but they come up on Gunbroker fairly often.  All stainless, controlled feed, fixed blade ejector.  Years ago Remington made several models of the 700 in stainless, but like others have said, the newer 700's are hit and mostly miss so try to find a 1990's made rifle.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A very satisfied Winchester M70 owner here.  Stainless 300WSM, with the classic claw extractor, is capable of MOA if the trigger puller does his job.  My M70 is one of the last manufacture runs of SS from the Connecticut plant before it was shut down.  I hear the new M70's have a nice adjustable trigger setup.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I can't pick a damned caliber. I'm pretty settled on the Savage Trophy 11 XP.

Started out going after a .270. Then I was looking at a .308. Now I'm wondering about 6.5 Creedmoor (though ammo seems hard to come by).
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Started out going after a .270. Then I was looking at a .308. Now I'm wondering about 6.5 Creedmore (though ammo seems hard to come by).
View Quote

I'm in the same boat, can't decide caliber. Creed more isn't on my list because of availability, but .243, .270 .308, .30-06 are.

I am looking hard at savage, had a few and liked them. Had a 700 and liked it too.

No experience with Tikka, Weatherby, or Browning
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Started out going after a .270. Then I was looking at a .308. Now I'm wondering about 6.5 Creedmoor (though ammo seems hard to come by).
View Quote

I have two 6.5 Creedmoors now. Ammo is pretty easy to get. You don't see it at every location, but I have two local sources that carry 8 different loads. And tons of on line vendors have 6.5.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have two 6.5 Creedmoors now. Ammo is pretty easy to get. You don't see it at every location, but I have two local sources that carry 8 different loads. And tons of on line vendors have 6.5.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What rifles are they?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What rifles are they?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What rifles are they?

Both Rugers. Funny because I'm usually a Winchester guy. Ruger Precision Rifle, and Ruger American Preditor.

$380 and iirc, $20 shipping. Site sponsor too.

http://defenderoutdoors.com/ruger-6973-american-rifle-predator-bolt-6-5creed-22-inch-moss-green-composite-stock-black
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Both Rugers. Funny because I'm usually a Winchester guy. Ruger Precision Rifle, and Ruger American Preditor.

http://defenderoutdoors.com/ruger-6973-american-rifle-predator-bolt-6-5creed-22-inch-moss-green-composite-stock-black
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What rifles are they?

I bought a Tikka CTR and chassis as a precision rig a while back and got the Tikka bug, but now I can't decide what to do for a deer rifle.  Tikka T3 Lite on sale now for 479 to make room for the T3X's, get a new T3X Lite for 649, either would get threaded, or get a second CTR but as a new T3X.  That way it's already threaded.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

What will the 6.5 creedmoor do at hunting ranges that a .270 wouldnt?  I would go with a more common caliber for hunting.  Much bigger selection of loaded ammo types.  If you handload, then pick what ya like.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 5:01:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I bought a Tikka CTR and chassis as a precision rig a while back and got the Tikka bug, but now I can't decide what to do for a deer rifle.  Tikka T3 Lite on sale now for 479 to make room for the T3X's, get a new T3X Lite for 649, either would get threaded, or get a second CTR but as a new T3X.  That way it's already threaded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What rifles are they?

I bought a Ruger predator in 308, but was seriously considering the T3x CTR.  I'm probably going to still get the CTR in 6.5 creedmoor for use in open areas, and the ruger for thicker/closer & as a loaner.

Factory threaded was a requirement for me, as I'm not going to go back to non-silenced hunting if I can help it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2016 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I bought a Ruger predator in 308, but was seriously considering the T3x CTR.  I'm probably going to still get the CTR in 6.5 creedmoor for use in open areas, and the ruger for thicker/closer & as a loaner.

Factory threaded was a requirement for me, as I'm not going to go back to non-silenced hunting if I can help it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, silenced is the only way to go.

Link Posted: 10/11/2016 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What will the 6.5 creedmoor do at hunting ranges that a .270 wouldnt?  I would go with a more common caliber for hunting.  Much bigger selection of loaded ammo types.  If you handload, then pick what ya like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with going for a more common caliber.  My Ruger Precision is in 6.5CM but my Ruger American is in .308.  Like the OP I am in the market for a .30-06 just because it's sucha popular catridge and I know ammo will always be available
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top