Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2016 4:19:45 PM EDT
I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on a 38 special for deer.  My state just allowed silencers, i have one that will handle 38 but not 357 mag.  I was thinking that a T/C contender with a 6-8inch barrel would be decent.  
I would keep the shots close, less than 50 yds.   I think a small red dot like an aimpoint micro would do the job just fine.  I just want something I can use my silencer on and is a pistol.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Calculate energy. Muzzle energy less than 900 is no go in most states.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you get a head shot I think that round would be inhumane to use on deer. I guy I know did kill a pig with one, but it took him about 15 shots to finish it off.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
You must be a Eastern deer hunter, Stand hunting for a under 50 yard shot? But even with a 8 inch bbl 38spl even in +P (which might be too hot for your tube if 357 mag is) is borderline at best. A dead soft 158gn flatnose would likely be your best choice at those low velocities. If you can get away with +P then Speer 130 gn gold dot would be my choice.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope OP is a good tracker.

After all, who DOESN'T like tracking wounded deer with no blood trail through briar thickets in the rain or poor light.

Make mine a 30-06.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

After all, who DOESN'T like tracking wounded deer with no blood trail through briar thickets in the rain or poor light.

Make mine a 30-06.
View Quote

mine too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:17:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Make mine a 6.5x55 Swede 30-06.
View Quote
Fixed it for you

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fixed it for you

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you

I have pretty much the same opinion.  Deer aren't Terminator cyborgs, and I'm sure with excellent shot placement a .38 spl could do the job.  But unless your shot is perfect, I doubt you'll get much if any blood trail.  

I use a 6.5x55 Swede myself.  If I was going to use a pistol, I think a hot .357 would be my absolute minimum, and personally I'd probably step up to a .41 or .44 magnum.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Out of what gun?

I wouldn't, and I hunt regularly with an 8" suppressed 300blk.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Way less power than is required for a clean kill and possibly illegal in your state.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
44mag 45super work well

357mag 158gr SWC max load H-110 magnum powder did not impress me

went back to 44 240gr JHP max load H-110 powder

I would not try 38 special
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]
bad idea.

clown
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I have killed 3 deer with a handgun.

1 357 Mag 158 Gr Gold Dot Spine Shot.  Dropped in its tracks.

2 9mm Glock 115 Gr Fiocchi JHP.  

Both double lung shots, both gave no reaction to being hit. Ran approximately 150 yards with a good blood trail.

Both acted like a double lung archery shot.  

Bottom line, handguns kill more like broad heads through tissue destruction and blood loss than rifles through kinetic energy and shock.

It wouldn't bother me to use a .38 Special as long as a good 158 Gr Lead SWC Hollow Point or maybe even a full wadcutter was used.

Should leave a good blood trail to find your deer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it would kill them just fine. That's not the real problem. What I foresee is you make a good shot, the bullet does not exit, the deer runs off and with no blood trail, you lose the deer.

Exits are not that important if you are using a rifle that's way more powerful than needed (30-06). But if your shot with that 38 spl is not perfect that deer can go far enough to be really hard to find.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Hell no.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Illegal here - and I'm OK with that
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]
MI does not have a power requirement, only caliber requirements (38spl is legal)
I do hunt from ground blinds (and the occasional treestand) in my woods the max visibility is around 80 feet.  Anything more and the trees block your view.  I totally understand that this is unique to my area and that out west the views are much longer.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#18]
man,  I think you're going at this all wrong....

You're looking at using a decidedly inferior cartridge so you can use your suppressor?  Bad idea.  What does the suppressor get you when you are hunting deer?  Nothing.  Sometimes we'll use bows or muzzleloaders to take advantage of an extended season.  Or use handguns or shotguns in "no rifle zones".  Or even use primitives or handguns just for the increased challenge. But to end up using something like 38 special just so you can use your can?  Ummm, no.

The 357 is an adequate deer cartridge.  In a carbine its actually quite decent with the RIGHT bullets and under 125 yards.  In a handgun its "okay".  Not great.  Not very good. Not even good.  But its okay.  The 38?  No.  It isn't.  I'd dare say it verges on unethical.

I'm sure the 38 can kill deer.  But it swill be neither quick nor sure.  

You either need a new can, or simply hunt without the can.  The can isn't doing ANYTHING for you when hunting deer.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't do it, .38 is a pretty marginal caliber unless loaded hot and paired with a long barrel. .357 would be my personal minimum.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Handload some 200 gr lead semi wad cutters, should be able to get 900 to 1000 fps out of a contender barrel.  That big long heavy lead bullet will punch clear through a deer on a broadside shot.

The key is if your barrel will stabilize them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry for the hijack.    Like it is said shot placement is key to everything.    This past season I did a not so nice shot.   Hit high nicked top of backbone with 150gr. 308 about 90yds.    Deer went down, sat in stand waiting for it to get up to take another shot.    Deer was down in a dip in the field, could not see deer.   Got out of stand heading to where deer was, left rifle in stand but had sig p220-45 with 230gr hps on hip.    Back leg started to kick.   Try to run to where deer was, no luck.    Got to within about 150ft from deer when it jumped up and started to run.    Drew 45, first shot hit base of right antler, blue right antler off.    Took better aim second shot hit the mark, back of head.    That ended the chase.   Retrived slug from skull, put knocked off antler back on skull.   Have skull and 230gr 45 slug sitting on shelf.    Shot placement is what counts, period.

Wolf
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#22]
There are so many better options.  I've seen deer here in MI run 200 yards with no heart, which in many places puts them onto some other persons land.  You don't need a .338 WM, but you can suppress some pretty decent handgun rounds.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#23]
These loads will work if you are close and very careful with shot placement. I would think the TC should handle these loads easily. Back before the 357 was introduced this load probably killed all manner of animals.

http://americanhandgunner.com/the-3844-heavy-duty/
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 11:02:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd be curious to see the terminal effects of both 357 and 38 special on a deer.  I know 357 has a lot more energy, but I bet for practical purposes the bullets preform the same.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have pretty much the same opinion.  Deer aren't Terminator cyborgs, and I'm sure with excellent shot placement a .38 spl could do the job.  But unless your shot is perfect, I doubt you'll get much if any blood trail.  

I use a 6.5x55 Swede myself.  If I was going to use a pistol, I think a hot .357 would be my absolute minimum, and personally I'd probably step up to a .41 or .44 magnum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fixed it for you

6.5x55 Swede for deer?
Shooting three in a row with one shot?  

Lol love that round but man does it have some penetration for a lightweight!
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
These loads will work if you are close and very careful with shot placement. I would think the TC should handle these loads easily. Back before the 357 was introduced this load probably killed all manner of animals.

http://americanhandgunner.com/the-3844-heavy-duty/
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing. The contender is rated up to 55k PSI. A heavy 180grn wide flat nosed cast  bullet loaded around 1000-1200fps will do the job under 50yds. People have done more with less.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Well I went another way, scored a 20gauge 870 with a rifled barrel.  $199 and I have a $50 rebate, can't beat that.   Gonna mount a 2-7 crossfire on it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#28]
You may kill the deer, but it's unlikely you'll ever find the deer.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Well I went another way, scored a 20gauge 870 with a rifled barrel.  $199 and I have a $50 rebate, can't beat that.   Gonna mount a 2-7 crossfire on it.

View Quote
I had a crossfire on a 500Mag carbine - it did not hold up (OK, the 500 has a bit of a rep for being hard on scopes). I used 4 rings too. When I sent it back they said I had screwed it up when I mounted it (which is BS) I put a Leupold back on it and it has run fine. I have no problem with the better scopes from Vortex but I will never buy a Crossfire again and after that nice letter I personally will not buy one period. Most of my hunting rifles & shotguns run VX3 and a Few VX2's but I like to play with some others from time to time mostly to make recommendations to others and just to play. I would suggest a Weaver Classic instead for a budget scope.

Link Posted: 9/11/2016 7:58:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I had a crossfire on a 500Mag carbine - it did not hold up (OK, the 500 has a bit of a rep for being hard on scopes). I used 4 rings too. When I sent it back they said I had screwed it up when I mounted it (which is BS) I put a Leupold back on it and it has run fine. I have no problem with the better scopes from Vortex but I will never buy a Crossfire again and after that nice letter I personally will not buy one period. Most of my hunting rifles & shotguns run VX3 and a Few VX2's but I like to play with some others from time to time mostly to make recommendations to others and just to play. I would suggest a Weaver Classic instead for a budget scope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.  I was even thinking about some of the scopes that are specifically designed for shotgun slugs guns.  I think nikon and bushnell both make one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top