Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2016 8:48:14 AM EDT
To start off, my names Bryan and I live in NE Texas. I only hunt my own property (285 acres) and I feed and manage my population all year. When I say feed, I have 7 corn feeders, 5 box stands and 2 tree stands, and we plant 15 to 20 acres of food plots a year. When i say manage, we allow our hard wood Tree Farm to grow back natural thicket, have 12 hard wired night and day vision security cams which record via DVR night and day year round. We hunt varmints, baby deer killers, ie. coyotes, bobcats, cougars yr. round. We also hunt corn thieves, Hogs, coons, night and day year round. So, our whole property is geared to the harvest of food...deer meat. Once the season is over, the work begins for next season. This yr. we are placing a new stand and feeder. A new camera will be in place by...oh say May. Anyway, enough about my plans, What our yall doing?

Plans are to put this about 15' off the ground 80 yards from the feeder above
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
What brand feeder is that?  I've been trying to decide what to get.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:58:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i51/bgreerVTX/Mobile%20Uploads/image_42.jpeg

Plans are to put this about 15' off the ground 80 yards from the feeder above
View Quote

How do you plan to raise it?  

I played hell getting a simple ladder stand up recently.  (STOP! NOW!  Nope... )

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#3]
That is a Game Winner feeder, not sure which model though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m hunting on family property.   We have 350 acres, half pasture and the other half is wooded.    The wooded areas are a combination of soft and hardwoods and a lot of brush.    We have had a lot of clear cutting around us this year.   Sure messed up the hunting.   I’m looking for a new place to put a second stand and feeder and maybe a food plot.   Have a lot of woods to scout.   I need to put out more cameras.

Wolf
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Putting up an additional 2 tree stands on my son's land. Both are the 2 man 17 1/2' models from SPG. Hunted from one last year and really liked it.
Will be adding a couple of food plots later in the year.
Then there's all the trimming and clearing to be done.
Before we know it it's time to tighten the straps and bring out the seat cushions for all the stands.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 2:30:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I also hunt on the family farm.  300 acres,  I plan to build a couple of box stands this spring,  do two game plots and for the first time ever I'm using game cams and doing some pre season scouting (I've started the scouting already).  Also have been in the woods looking for sheds
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I added to my salt/mineral sites today.  3 of them on 160 acres.  I'll give it a couple months and then get the cameras nearby.  Fun to watch the antlers grow.  Did some scouting today as well, and I think I found a new place to hunt, lots of tracks in an area I never considered hunting before.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 3:55:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Did a little scouting today, haven’t been in this part of the place (woods) sense hurricane Katrina.   That was in 05, boy what a mess.   Still a lot of down trees, some big old Hickories came down.   Now it is grown up in brush.   But there are a lot of deer sign.   I’m going to move some of my cameras from the fields to these thickets to see what is going on.

Wolf
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#9]
It's obvious that your definition of hunting and mine differ greatly. Kinda jealous that you can set out bait and sit inside a nice shady stand drink beer and wait for your trophy to come for dinner.

Meanwhile I have to go out and enjoy the beautiful scenery and truly experience the great outdoors.

Then get the opportunity to quietly sneak up on your quarry and wake them from their nap

But hey to each their own and I wish you great success this coming season

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just don't know how stand hunters do it.  Western hunting FTW!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's obvious that your definition of hunting and mine differ greatly. Kinda jealous that you can set out bait and sit inside a nice shady stand drink beer and wait for your trophy to come for dinner.

Meanwhile I have to go out and enjoy the beautiful scenery and truly experience the great outdoors.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/20151206_102555.jpg

Then get the opportunity to quietly sneak up on your quarry and wake them from their nap

http://www.hunt101.com/data/505/20160108_104103.jpg

I just don't know how stand hunters do it.  Western hunting FTW!

Agreed, most I can do is sit down long enough to grab a bite to eat while watching a nice clearing.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Been feeding corn all winter and getting pics of what survived the season have 2 trees Im up all the time in my climber Im going to prep them now for hang on stands because it just takes to long and makes to much noise for these spots.

OP fyi just returned from hog hunting in NE Texas had a blast deer and hogs are definitely thick in your locale
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:32:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Believe me, most of us would prefer that given the option.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/20151206_102555.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/505/20160108_104103.jpg

Believe me, most of us would prefer that given the option.

+1

Archery 99% of the time now.  MAYBE the first 1.5 days of the gun season.

Sneaking up on that napping Elk must have been very cool !  
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm getting my bow a new string in the off season and I just received the Sherpa Game Cart yesterday.

I attached it to my Summit OpenShot after wrapping one layer of electrical tape to its axle. ( Sherpa's Pro Tip )

VERY quiet. and locked in solid !

My public land treks are going to be a lot less strenuous.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been thinking about picking up some sitka gear to try this year. I'm sick of getting cold during all day sits.  I also might try my hand at public land too. I'm going to use the "pine straw painting" method  to help camo my stands and straps from would be stand snatchers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top