Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2016 12:05:21 AM EDT
Who makes a really great warm and comfortable waterproof boot for hunting. Needs to be comfortable for hiking and warm and dry for long sitting periods.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#1]
look at Baffin boots, the ones I use for work are rated to -140° I can spend hours at a time outside with no issues.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 5:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! They look pretty good. Which one do you have?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#3]
These are the ones I have. but you won't need the safety toe or chemical resistance, you should be able to get out cheaper.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Foremost get a boot that fits.  I struggled all my life till I got my Red Wings in 6E.  I swear all I wear now are tube socks every day of hunting.
I've had pak boots that were great Sorrel Dominators but I couldnt use my climber very well In them.  It was WAY too scary.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#5]
i like Danner boots
i have a couple pairs, one in 200 gram thinsulate and another in 1000 gram

love them both,never had a problem with them and talk about comfort
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Second that motion on Danner. Mine are not insulated, just slightly oversized, and I take up the slack with double pairs of socks, and I mean extra heavy wool socks from Canada. This is the most comfortable and warmest combination I have found. That said, I do not normally sit in situations that are ice covered and in the snow, temps might be at or near freezing, but I tend to move around more, only holding slow and stealthy when on a stalk of big game. I treat the leather with waterproofing materials that are relatively effective, such as Snow Seal or similar products. This will last for a day or two of hard use. If you are going to be actually sitting or walking in water for long periods, you need something that is actually rubber or neoprene or similar to stay dry. My rubber boots or neoprene waders are my fall back for such situations.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Danner.

/thread

Get the USA made ones so they can be recrafted when you finally wear them down
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Danner.

/thread

Get the USA made ones so they can be recrafted when you finally wear them down
View Quote

I'm still using my black danner arcadias that I've had since the late 90's in the army. They do everything you said, I used them on 3 continents in some pretty shitty conditions and they are still serviceable (even if they look like sick ass)
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Muck boots.  as comfy as slippers.  warm, 100% dry.  I use them in northern MI each year, some of that in a swamp.  they are the best.

I use these, they are too warm above 50 degrees, but are good down to about 20.  below that, in a treestand, I will use toe warmers.

the one downside is that they can tear.  if you are always walking through snags, they might not be the best choice.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Schnees boots, buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#11]
The key to warm boots isn't the brand on the side.  Thinsulate is Thinsulate is Thinsulate(in my experience)

I've worn $50 boots and I've worn $400 boots.  If you get them oversized, so you have room around your foot for a layer of air insulation, your foot will stay warm.  Don't pack your boot full of big heavy socks either..if you crush your foot inside the booth with heavy socks, you remove all the insulation value.  You need a layer of air.  If you can't wiggle your toes without touching the top or end of your boot, they're too tight.

I see very little difference in warmth between high end and low end boots.  I do see a huge difference in build quality, material quality, and attention to detail.  Is that worth the money?  Probably.

I usually just wear long black dress socks inside my boots for moisture wicking.  I rarely have a problem with cold feet...

Loose boots are terrible for hiking in hilly terrain.  If you REALLY need boots that can deal with severe hiking as well as long cold sits, you should get some insulated boot covers.  That way you can wear a lighter, tighter fitting boot for the walk in, and then put the insulation layer on after you sit down and your foot cools off a bit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as the boot keeps the foot dry....good wool socks will keep you warm.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]
"Build quality, material quality, attention to detail"

All of those are going to suffer in cheaper boots.  It's why they are cheap.

Unfortunately those 3 details are the biggest in determining how "waterproof" a boot is and how long it stays that way.

Cheap boots fall apart fast and leak water.  Leaking water makes a cold foot no matter how much money is saved.

Danner / Muck.  Spend the money, be warm and dry for years to come.
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Who makes a really great warm and comfortable waterproof boot for hunting. Needs to be comfortable for hiking and warm and dry for long sitting periods.
View Quote

For me, this would be hard to find in one boot.  Hiking for long periods, and sitting for long periods require a very different boot, at least for me.

Hiking I recommend cabela's meindl boots.  Go for the ones made in Germany if you want quality.  They are beyond comfortable.  They have hiking boot styles, and mountaineering styles.

Other then that I would recommend anything Danner.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top