Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2015 8:09:32 PM EDT
Title says it all. I've been borrowing my buddies every time I need it and it's time for my own. I don't need anything extravagant; just something to do my two annual deer and maybe an elk if I ever get drawn. Preferrably something where the blades can be easily replaced when they get dull.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you or your wife have a kitchenaide stand mixer?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got an old 10 gauge side by side shotgun. That usually does the trick....
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you or your wife have a kitchenaide stand mixer
View Quote

I wish. I've seen the attachments for the Kitchemaid mixers and they look really slick.
That said, I think I'd rather have a stand alone, purpose built grinder.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Cabelas or lehmans carry some nice ones.

We have a cabelas 1hp and it is nice but we are doing a bunch of moose.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I've always found grinding to be a huge PITA...most consumer grinders are horrible and you have to add pork to it or it's worthless(IMO).

We can everything we don't take as roasts or steaks.  Saves freezer room, lasts a really long time, doesn't require any expensive equipment or adding anything to the meat.

A $60 pressure canner, some jars, and some salt.  You can do pretty much everything you do with ground meat with canned except burgers...but I never do venison burgers...

Just another way to look at using that meat.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 11:57:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the cabelas 1 hp #22 grinder.  Its awesome.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Title says it all. I've been borrowing my buddies every time I need it and it's time for my own. I don't need anything extravagant; just something to do my two annual deer and maybe an elk if I ever get drawn. Preferrably something where the blades can be easily replaced when they get dull.
View Quote

Check Craigslist for a used commercial grinder from a butcher
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a #32 manual grinder I bought in 1995 from cabelas I think.  I can manual ly grind 25# of deer in about an hour.  I have never needed to replace the blade or sharpen it.  It works like a scissor on the die plate.  I grind about 60# per year.  It's a good arm workout.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Weston, LEM, or Cabelas.  I have a Cabelas and it eats everything i put in it.  Dont go cheap and i mean dont get anything but a commercial meat grinder.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#11]
We have a LEM #10 manual. It's a work out, takes a couple hours to grind a deer. last year I ground 80lbs, took an afternoon, mixed about 10% beef fat in as I went, took a break and bagged and sealed every 10 pounds or so. We grind wheat all the time, so this was no big deal. This was the first time I ground everything but tenderloin and back straps. If I get a second deer this year, I will do it that way.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I've always taken my deer to be processed, but I just butchered my first from start to finish.  I have a 20 year old kitchenaid mixer and a grinder that belonged to my wife's grandmother.  The setup was ideal for low volume work.  Anything more than three or four deer in a year and I'd have to consider going with a proper grinder.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Cabelas 3/4 horse.  It does a great job, plenty of power.  I haven't used any other ones so can't comment on that.  I'm sure there are other good ones too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#15]
We got this one from amazon back in 2012.  It's processed 3-4 deer every year since.  I dont have a single complaint about it.  After paying $65 to process a deer (back then), I felt it paid for itself the first season.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Lem #8 575 watt. It's perfect for a few deer a year.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Weston, LEM, or Cabelas.  I have a Cabelas and it eats everything i put in it.  Dont go cheap and i mean dont get anything but a commercial meat grinder.
View Quote

This!  I'll never take mine to a butcher again. Also use their vacuum seal. Takes up no room in fridge. (Hint: both are made by Weston)
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the cabelas 1 hp #22 grinder.  Its awesome.
View Quote

This.

I started out with a hand grinder,  and almost wanted to give up hunting after a few deer.  We then bought a grinder attachment for our Bosch mixer.  It was much better then the hand grinder, but still had such a small neck, that you had to cut up everything so small to fit it in.  Again after a few seasons,  I was about ready to say forget it.  When Cabelas had their commercial grade grinders on sale one year,  I decided to go for the 1 HP.  There are a few things you buy in life that you wonder how you ever lived without them.  That grinder is one of them.   The first time I used it,  I put the entire deer through it in 2 minutes flat.    Now I look forward to butchering my deer.  

It is a big investment, and I guess it depends how many deer you plan on grinding up each year.  If you only get one a year,  you could probably get by with less.  If you do 4 or 5 deer a year and possibly an elk or two,  the Cabelas is definitely the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a few grinders but this one hooked up to an extra motor I had laying around has ground a lot of deer/elk/hogs if your just doing a single deer you can hand grind it pretty easy

Northern Tool #32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top