Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/26/2015 2:46:37 PM EDT
Cart isn't an option, no room.  I'll be taking my Dodge Stratus(yeah yeah, laugh it up, bought it from my parents and fixed it up for about 450 total) up this weekend by myself.  I've never been in a position where I had to get a deer out alone.  A little scrub buck would be no problem but on the off chance I drop a 180lb+ deer, what are some ideas on getting it out without killing myself?

Then getting it in the trunk...

Right now my only idea is to run down to the local bar/grill and offer 20 bucks to the first two guys that sign up to help.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It's all about leverage. Perhaps a 4 wheeler or truck would be better suited for that purpose though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Rope and a heavy duty tarp, if it's heavy timbered country quarter it and pack it out.

I hunt mostly in Montana, it's pretty open country so we usually use a game cart if we have to drag more than a couple of hundred yards.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rope and a heavy duty tarp, if it's heavy timbered country quarter it and pack it out.

I hunt mostly in Montana, it's pretty open country so we usually use a game cart if we have to drag more than a couple of hundred yards.
View Quote

I'll have to double check but I'm pretty sure quartering it out is a no go until it's registered.  No phone service in the area so that's a no go.

It's pretty heavy timber but you can catch some pretty open deer and snowmobile trails on the way out with little inbetween.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a tie down strap and wrap it around the antlers.  Wrap the strap around your hands and sling the straps over your shoulders like a backpack.  I try to get the head up about a foot and a half and just drag.  Wrapping the deer up in a tarp helps things even more.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Put it in a cheap plastic sled. Drag it right out
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote
Anybody remember those cheap roll up sleds they sold in the 1970's? My dad used to use one of those.

Wow, just looked, they still make them:

http://www.amazon.com/Paricon-Flying-Carpet-Sled/dp/B004GF150Y

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

How are you planning to haul it in the car?  A couple of well placed tarps and pulling it into the back seat could make it easier than trying to load it in the trunk.
View Quote

Just make sure it's really dead and not just playing possum.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I just drug one about 700 yards by myself. I carried a good strap and wrap it around the antlers or neck to elevate the head. I also took an old roll up snow sled and some rope to put the deer on. drug it out no problem except one steep hill. Deer weighed 180#. Try to gut it first to get rid of that extra dead weight.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Grow stronger.

Gutting them before moving drops some weight
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you're limited to a rope, tie the front feet and head into one loop to drag.

Try to shoot it uphill from your car

How are you planning to haul it in the car?  A couple of well placed tarps and pulling it into the back seat could make it easier than trying to load it in the trunk.
View Quote

You toss that sumbitch in the trunk. Blood stains in the trunk add a little mystique to your car.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Gut it. Cut slits in the rear legs by the tendons and push the front legs through and you have a deer back pack
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#15]
We use sleds to haul out elk if there is snow
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Gut it to lighten load.

Strip off unnecessary gear and put at truck  or car

Wrap in tarp if possible. This helps keep the legs from getting snagged up and debris in.

Grab by antlers or legs. If possible have a drag vest

At car if trees near by you can rope the dear and pull it up and in with car if too big. I had to load a monster buck into the back of a 4x4 f150 and could never have done it with out winching it up.

Take as many breaks as you can, even young guys will gas out early if its a long drag.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, and have a machete with you. Clear the path to make it easier.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:01:26 PM EDT
[#18]
How old are you?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Bone it out, put in game a bag, carry it out in a back pack. Why would you drag it?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:55:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How old are you?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Whatever you do, don't stress too much over it... If you do too much preparation you won't see a single deer the whole time you're out there
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:02:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bone it out, put in game a bag, carry it out in a back pack. Why would you drag it?
View Quote

I just checked and apparently it's now legal but up until this year it was illegal to field dress a deer before registering it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:14:25 AM EDT
[#23]
http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Deer-Sleighr-Game-Sled/dp/B001CJI7XA

I have one, but have not used it yet.  My drag is short these days.   Past few years I have just used my belt around the neck.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:22:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:34:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

So much this.

...unless I'm hunting behind my house and it's a short walk.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:44:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I just checked and apparently it's now legal but up until this year it was illegal to field dress a deer before registering it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DA FUQ U TALKINBOUT?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I like the $20 idea.   .
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:15:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I like the $20 idea.   .
View Quote

Not so sure about that...
Some towns near where I've hunted, it could lead to losing at least $20 and a deer...
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"Bone it out" =/= field dress

Field dressing should be done ASAP to cool down the carcass.  I'm not aware of anywhere that prohibits it prior to checking the deer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Bone it out" =/= field dress

Field dressing should be done ASAP to cool down the carcass.  I'm not aware of anywhere that prohibits it prior to checking the deer.

Err yeah...had a few last night.. I meant quartering up the deer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Some towns near where I've hunted, it could lead to losing at least $20 and a deer...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the $20 idea.   .

I highly doubt that around here. I stop in there all the time to grab a bite to eat and know most of the regulars and the owner casually.   It's a pretty decent area.  Now where i was hunting last weekend?  Fuck that. I told myself i never do neck shots but i was going to there just so i didn't have my deer run off across someone else's shooting lane and have it turn into a fight.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Find a Glenn's Deer Handle.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have pulled about 100 deer and a moose (5 trips for that one) with a $20 sled.
Pulled a deer that my youngest shot, dressed north of 200#, a LONG painful way two weeks ago.
STill be trying to get it out without the sled.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:27:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pulled a deer that my youngest shot, dressed north of 200#, a LONG painful way two weeks ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Minus the guts, bones and hide, even the biggest deer don't weigh all that much when they are reduced to just meat. I'm an old man and I can still backpack one out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:12:37 AM EDT
[#35]
I've got a chest harness I can put on when I can't use my ATV, it has a D ring in the lower middle of my back and a tow rope I can tie off on the antlers or the neck.  It frees my hands up and makes dragging one way easier, adding a tarp would probably help too.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:23:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:09:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Field dress it would be the first thing I would do. Lighten the load you know, and get the guts and whatnot out sooner rather than later. Hell if you get in a real bad spot I suppose you could even do some skinning and butchering right there so long as you had a good sturdy limb near by you could hang it from to skin it and then take your cuts to a ice box or something (with big wheels?) and drag it out that way? Never been in a situatino where I couldn't drag one out that I field dressed. Or at least to a trail where we didn't have a vehicle to just put it on and haul back to camp to butcher it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:27:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#39]
I deal with deer by myself all the time.  If you can, dress it at the site of the kill.  That will lighten it up a good bit.  Depending on the distance you'll have to drag it and the law of the state you are in, you can quarter it, and break it down even further, then a good backpack will do the job.  Assuming your backpack is full of gear, you can use a rope attached to the backpack for dragging.  Keep in mind the terrain you are hunting in.  Dragging over rocks and creeks will present more than lowland pasture/crop fields.  Post more info and I can be more specific.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#40]
This came up while hunting this year for me as well, usually we drag between 1 and two miles, rough country, with steep canyons, sucks, feel like I'm having a heart attack each time. It was brought up to cut in half and each drag a half as opposed to guy on each antler. Made sense, but I would do a partial "gutless field dress" (YouTube it) then take the backs traps and rib meat in bags in my pack and drag the half with hide still on to keep meat clean, two trips, instead of three or four. Haven't tried yet, but just might next time I have to drag any distance. Food for thought anyway. But I can say deer hides are HEAVY, so quartering might still be best.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Did it three times.

Won't be doing it a fourth.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Don't even dump the guts.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Sleds are the bomb when dragging deer.

I use my harness with the deer drag attachment, with the deer on a sled to drag deer.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
https://youtu.be/HwNVZXbbIuo

View Quote

Didn't watch the video but I'll ask, how do they get the inside tenderloins without pulling the guts?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Didn't watch the video but I'll ask, how do they get the inside tenderloins without pulling the guts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Make a slit behind the ribs and reachbin and pull them out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

This method is Illegal in WI.  The deer can be cut into 5 pieces to be removed from the field, it cannot be boned out completely.  

It's really not necessary for whitetail sized game.  Elk/Moose/etc sure, but whitetail is easy enough to carry two quarters at a time and make it in two trips pretty easy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This method is Illegal in WI.  The deer can be cut into 5 pieces to be removed from the field, it cannot be boned out completely.  

It's really not necessary for whitetail sized game.  Elk/Moose/etc sure, but whitetail is easy enough to carry two quarters at a time and make it in two trips pretty easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do these Wildlife department people come up with some of these rules?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#48]

I use one of these and I put a wide strap from an old gym bag on it, throw it over the shoulder and pull him out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quarter it up and pack it out.  

If you can get it to the car and cannot get it in, a simple come along makes easy work of it.  The come along hooked on the height adjustment bar of the headrest and the other end around the antlers makes easy work on an old back.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over the past few years i couldn't possibly be less impressed with our DNR.....  Unfortunately IL's non-resident tags are borderline criminal or I'd sooner give them my money.

Just got back.  Only saw one little spike so I didn't have to worry about getting anything out of the woods.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top