Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2015 2:15:45 PM EDT
Well I drew blood with this 1948 Remington Model 81 (in .35 Rem.) this morning at about 0715.  

It was only about 15 yards away. One shot through the neck. Just a four point but it will eat good.

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 2:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Great and cool gun .

If they made that today it would cost $2500

Is it a family piece ?

At any rate it just seems right to me when somebody takes a deer or whatever with a older gun.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful rifle. I've lusted after one of those or a Model 8 for many years. Maybe someday. I wish I was closer, I'd help you eat some of that venison!
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great and cool gun .

If they made that today it would cost $2500

Is it a family piece ?

At any rate it just seems right to me when somebody takes a deer or whatever with a older gun.
View Quote

Nah, just one I picked-up locally in a trade. It had not been hunted with since the 60s.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 6:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Too damn cool. Good job!
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well I drew blood with this 1948 Remington Model 81 (in .35 Rem.) this morning at about 0715.  

It was only about 15 yards away. One shot through the neck. Just a four point but it will eat good.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/dfa7oj.jpg
View Quote

Nice job with a classic rifle.  Did the ammunition come in the trade, because I don't think I've seen .35 Remington on the shelves for quite a while.  I really want a 336 in .35 Remington, but it seems the rifles are way more common than the cartridges.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nice job with a classic rifle.  Did the ammunition come in the trade, because I don't think I've seen .35 Remington on the shelves for quite a while.  I really want a 336 in .35 Remington, but it seems the rifles are way more common than the cartridges.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have a buddy that hunts with a 336 in 35 Rem. Never seems to have any trouble finding ammo at Bass Pro or the like.

Nice kill! Oldest rifle with which I've killed Bambi was an early 1900's 30/06 Enfiled. One that my great grandfather brought back.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 7:04:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.35 Remington and .32 Special are usually made in one single run by the manufactures in time for hunting season......And not every year so it can be a feast and famine type of thing.

I also have a 1955 336c and last year when .35 was available I bought the six boxes they had in stock at Walmart so I'm set for a good while.

I suspect that is what most folks that own something in .35 or .32 special do as it's not like .30-30 where you can pop on into most any gun shop/Walmart and pick-up a box or two most any time.
Link Posted: 11/16/2015 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Killed my first deer when I was 11 with a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem. I have 3 now.

It's a great round that is underrated.

I'd love to add that rifle in .35 Rem to my collection! Very nice.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Congrats, I have my grandfathers old remington slide action in 30 remington I want to hunt with, currently finding ammo is impossible....
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Congrats, I have my grandfathers old remington slide action in 30 remington I want to hunt with, currently finding ammo is impossible....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buffalo Arms sells brass. I'm sure one of the custom reloading places like GAD can set you up with some ammo if you don't reload yourself.

http://gadcustomcartridges.com/#obsolete

I had them make me up some .577 Snyder (I provided the cases) and they did a fine job at a price I thought was reasonable.

Just give them a call and see what they can offer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 1:53:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Love seeing classic deer rifles being put to use.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:29:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Love seeing classic deer rifles being put to use.
View Quote

This^.    Beautiful rifle, OP.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not something you will see every day at the local mom and pop but I am thinking Cabellas and Midway could keep you covered. Not like a basic hunting firearm is going to burn much ammo.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a 1952 marlin 336 in 35 rem.. Awesome round.

Hornady and Remington both make factory loads for it. Abit seasonal however.

Also you can regularly get Hornady brass for it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#16]
That's really cool.  I love bringing an old horse back into the race.  I shot a deer this year with a Win '94 from 1921 in 38-55.  It did the job with grace to spare.  I've also got an older '92 in 44-40 that hasn't been afield on the right day, but that's just a matter of time.

I saw a Win 1907 today that I looked hard at.  Solid condition; probably G to VG, but missing front sight (easy to remedy for shooter purposes) and handy as hell--like M1 carbine handy.  Didn't ask about the magazine.  .351 though...  Being a handloader and bullet caster, I don't mind a little adversity, but this would be adverse in many respects; at best it'd be a up-close and personal deer gun.  $340 pricetag (methinks with room for negotiation as it was one of the odd rifles transferred when the sister store closed).  Would also make for a cool fun gun. But the expense of brass and dies are a little more than I'd care to toss at something that may shoot marginally and would sit in the safe for 360 days out of the year--I have a small number of guns on approx that scale of obsolete already (25-20, 38-55, and 455 webley) not to mention those that are on near that level (the 44-40 and a couple 44spl).  Parts would be another consideration (leverguns are easy in comparison).

I'm thinking to borrow/trade the old man for one of the Savage 99 calibers or a Krag as my next.

I've got a buddy holding his spent 35 Rem brass for when the time comes.

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome seeing an old gun in the woods.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top