Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2015 10:31:47 PM EDT
I was sitting in my stand Sunday afternoon and had 2 deer sprint by me obviously spooked.  At first I thought I may have done something, but they ran past me not away.  When I looked back towards where they came from, I saw some redish tan. Didn't realize what it was at first, but it was a Coyote (reddish color) on top of deer which it had by the throat.  The deer kicked its legs for a couple of minutes and then the Coyote drug it back into some more cover an starting eating.  After it had its fill, it came close enough for me to take a shot at, about 40 yds, but I missed, with the arrow going just by it.  I walked over to the deer kill site and snapped a picture.  The Coyote looks to have eating the ribs and essentially gutted it, helping preserve it for its pack I presume.

I have to get a call and start hunting the predators here.  

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow that would be insane to watch/see. Predator hunting is a blast doooo eeeeet.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow. And that looks like an adult deer?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
My guess would be a 6 month old deer, but by this time they are usually as mobile as mom, so not an easy target.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you take that pic while jumping out of a tree stand?
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 1:10:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had a yearling doe come running about 6' in front of me with a coyote in hot pursuit. I was bow hunting and didn't have much time to react, but it was a pretty neat experience. Although I hunt them I don't particularly hate yotes or any animal I hunt and kill. Animals do what animals do.

I did kill that lone yote a few weeks later in rifle season. I was still hunting when I heard something on my back trail. I turned around and there was that damn yote scratching and taking a piss totally unaware I was about 30yds up the trail. I killed him before his piss was over.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:21:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Weve seen deer with their asses eaten out and still alive.

FUCK 'YOTES and KILL with extreme prejudice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

+1
and
+1

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:45:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup. I've never seen one with the guts torn out like that. Always eaten ass first. And usually the rest spread out over about a 30 yard area where they fought over the remains.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

The doe I shot last year had her ass end ate by coyotes....put her out of her misery.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#10]
If a coyote isn't eating big prey ass first, it was probably already wounded... just my general experience, anyway.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Clifton by chance? I saw a yote chasing a mature buck last December in Clifton
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

^^ This ^^ With many +1's behind it....  -- Also Wild Dogs...  Wild pack dogs are worse than coyotes IMO...  
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Watched one eat the ass out of a doe I shoot while it was still alive tore into the hams via the b hole. I'd wreak my truck to kill one of the f'ers.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:36:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Predators eating prey?  OMG!  Pop the PMags.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#15]
This was near Charlottesville Va.  

I thought it was surprising because I didn't think they could get a healthy deer, just newer fawns and sick/wounded/injured ones. Sounds like a lot of people have seen evidence to the contrary.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#16]
"Hunting is cruel," they say.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 11:16:20 PM EDT
[#17]
My trail cam caught this as I was watching it play out on a live cam next to my house.
He managed to get away as I saw him a couple of days later
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Where I hunt we make it priority to shoot them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I watched a coyote bowl over a large group of turkey and he managed to catch and eat one. Never seen them get a deer though.

Would've assumed they could only catch weak or sick ones but guess not.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't see any obvious damage to her neck. Could you see it op?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#22]
on the property i hunt on it's an unwritten rule that if you see a yote you shoot it no matter what-property is north of where this happened (Orange, Virginia), i took one last season after i had shot a doe, doubled down that day-that was on a friends lease off the james river south east of charlottesville (South of Fork Union, Virginia)
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 2:53:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Coyotes and roadrunners are shoot on sight...
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My trail cam caught this as I was watching it play out on a live cam next to my house.
He managed to get away as I saw him a couple of days later
http://i57.tinypic.com/yh0sj.jpg
View Quote

Wow, that's a sweet shot!
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#25]
You don't need a call to start hunting them.... You have the perfect bait right there! He left it for the rest of his pack. Sit up over it and wait
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Ida tagged that bitch and taken it home. You know our bonus tag is good for 6 does?
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Whacked a young one at 17 yards with a rage extreme 2 blade yesterday morning....1 down.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 6:55:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Whacked a young one at 17 yards with a rage extreme 2 blade yesterday morning....1 down.
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Where I hunt we make it priority to shoot them.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 5:44:14 AM EDT
[#30]
The VA Hat Trick is a deer, turkey and yote.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 6:53:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ida tagged that bitch and taken it home. You know our bonus tag is good for 6 does?
View Quote

Jesus christ, you guys overrun with deer or something?

They finally stopped handing out doe tags like candy on halloween here.  About fucking time too.

Those dickheads in the DNR finally admitted too that the black bear are really starting to do a number on whitetail numbers here alongside the yotes and wolves.  Yet they still require 6-9 points collected 1 per year to get a fucking tag, they now don't include coyote hunting with any old hunting license(you now have to buy a small game license), and you still can't shoot the stupid fucking wolves.

Fuck coyotes, fuck wolves, and fuck the DNR...Fuckin' Jim Doyle can go suck a dick.
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The VA Hat Trick is a deer, turkey and yote.
View Quote

i just needed a turkey and i would have had one last year
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Roadrunners ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Coyotes and roadrunners are shoot on sight...

Roadrunners ?

Their favorite food in the whole wide world is baby quail.

One of my favorite foods is adult quail.  If there are lots of roadrunners around, there won't be any quail. I actually like roadrunners... they're pretty cool birds.  But if I want quail, they have to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top