BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 9:20:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mine doest seem to like the 139's I almost exclusively shoot 175 partitions and hornady interlocks no BS smallest groups I've ever shot(near .25 3 shot @100y) were with this rifle R22 and 175g interlocks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have shot a boatload of deer with that old 7mag.  Ruger...I don't ever remember any animal not falling DRT. Most of the time I used Hornady 139gr. BTSP while posting on a 200 acre hayfield. I can honestly say that particular load was meat friendly...form your own opinion...don't want to get flamed by the head shot nazies...

http://<a href=http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/DIIshoots/scandeer0001.jpg</a>" />

Mine doest seem to like the 139's I almost exclusively shoot 175 partitions and hornady interlocks no BS smallest groups I've ever shot(near .25 3 shot @100y) were with this rifle R22 and 175g interlocks

I suspect the barrel twist varies with different manufacture. I know my son likes the 175gr. in his model 70 but I never took the time to check the specs on either gun. That may be of interest to any prospective 7mm purchase.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I think its more gun than necesary. Of course if you shoot it in the chest cavity where you should anyway, you won't lose anything unless it exits out the opposite shoulder. Its my belief that a 308 is sufficient for most anything in the lower 48. I use a 243. Shot placement is what's most important.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ditto here. I settled on either 150gr Nosler BTs or 154gr Hornady SSTs.

[ETA] Please don't use 3 shot groups as a measuring stick as they're practically useless.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto here. I settled on either 150gr Nosler BTs or 154gr Hornady SSTs.

[ETA] Please don't use 3 shot groups as a measuring stick as they're practically useless.

If you put the first 3 in one hole consistently I wouldnt call that useless Wont shoot that good with partitions though never found a rifle that will shoot them as good as interlocks
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've found this discussion on the 7mm Remington Magnum interesting.  I wonder if recoil has something to do with the reason why some of my LGS have multiple rifles chambered in 7mm Rem Mag sitting on the consignment shelves?  

As a side note, my current go to deer hunting rifle is chamberd in 6.5x55 Swede, but honestly I sort of want a 7mm Rem Mag rifle now.
View Quote

Yes I would imagine thats why, recoil tables will show recoil similar to the 30-06 but every 7mm mag I have shot has been worse than most 30-06's.  My brother does have a winchester 70 festherweight in 06 that kicks like a mule.  And I am not recoil shy I shoot a 444 with 300 grain bullets running near 2200 fps(that thing kicks) but I can shoot it accurately.  To me the question is why?  You can kill any deer just as dead with a 7mm08 or 7x57 and they shoot flat enough to kill at 400 yards if you can hit the vitals from that distance.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
D-ride is on the money,  put one on the shoulder and it will wreck it. Put it behind the shoulder thru the lungs and miss the offside shoulder. Its what i've used in MT and there is usualy a dead deer on impact, DRT. Usualy any bullet into a shoulder you would lose some meat, The boiler room is just behind the shoulder. Done right and all you will lose is rib meat and that is not much at all.
View Quote

The same is true for a .243 or a .270 or just about any center fire rifle caliber.

There is no such thing as "too much" gun.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top