Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2015 4:38:07 PM EDT
While ordering a replacement net seat from  Ol' Man, they said that my cables on my 3 year old alum. stand might be corroded/rusted and possibly dangerous.  I am going to cut back some of the rubber and inspect it. Has anyone heard of a cable failure on a tree climber?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
While ordering a replacement net seat from  Ol' Man, they said that my cables on my 3 year old alum. stand might be corroded/rusted and possibly dangerous.  I am going to cut back some of the rubber and inspect it. Has anyone heard of a cable failure on a tree climber?
View Quote

yes i have.

depending on how they were stored or how chewed up they are from tree bark some guys i know replace them every season. $30 bucks on cables is worth not sliding down the tree one time.

i only hunt from a climber a handful of times a year so i havent replaced mine yet, although the stand is 1.5 years old and stored inside/away from anything that might chew on the rubber
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That's not the answer I was looking for. The stand wasn't stored it was placed on a tree in a bottom, that turned into a lake and I never went back in there for a year after the bottom flooded. Thanks, I will take a good look at the cables.  Ol' man says they changed the design of the tubes on their climbers and now have rectangle tubing and no longer have the round cables that fit my stand. This will require a new stand.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:49:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's not the answer I was looking for. The stand wasn't stored it was placed on a tree in a bottom, that turned into a lake and I never went back in there for a year after the bottom flooded. Thanks, I will take a good look at the cables.  Ol' man says they changed the design of the tubes on their climbers and now have rectangle tubing and no longer have the round cables that fit my stand. This will require a new stand.
View Quote

That's poor business practice
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry to hear that.  But I wouldn't use that stand unless I could replace the cables.  The coatings wear off the steel cables, and then they start to rust.  My Summit is two years old, it's never left out overnight, and stored beneath my deck under a tarp in the off season.  This year the cables have started to show some minor surface rust.  I'll use the stand the rest of this year, but the cables will be replaced before the end of this season.  

While a harness will keep you from falling if your cables fail, hanging from a tree by just a harness is a bad place to be.  Better than instantly hitting the ground, but pretty bad.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top