Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2015 2:15:32 PM EDT
I have a pretty nice hunting area available near where I work and live.  In the past, I've hunted farther from home/work, so I've hunted exclusively either weekends, vacation days or holidays, so I always arrived well before sunrise and stayed until last legal shooting light.  

Now, considering I can be at my hunting site within 30 minutes, I'm trying to fit in more half days.  So far I've been able to swing a few half days at work, leaving shortly after lunch.  Considering sunset has been after 7 pm, I felt getting into my stand by 1:30 pm to be plenty early before the late evening hunting hours.  

I can't always swing a half day, but I can alter my schedule such that I could leave at 3 pm.  Here's the question, if I do this I'll probably be in my stand around 4 pm.  If sunset is coming close to 7, is this cutting it too close to when the deer will be moving, such that I might just be pushing away the deer I'm looking to tag?

For what it's worth, 95% of my walk in to where I put up my climber is along a well worn powerline/gas line access road, so I'm able to stay quiet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Just to give you an idea...
Sun rise is 7:11AM so I would be up in my stand by 5:30AM all set because 6:41AM is start of legal shooting time.
Sun set is 7:12PM so I would be up in my stand by 6:00PM all set because 7:42PM is end of legal shooting time.
I like to be in my position at lease 1 hour before legal shooting time in the morning or at leaset 1 hour before sunset time.

Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#2]
4pm for an expected 7pm hunt is right in line with our schedule. We try to get in at least a couple hours early just to be settled in and have no noise or movement close to when we think the deer will be coming through. If they are early we don't want to still be hiking or climbing.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Not considering the rut, where I try to hunt all day, I like to be in my stand about 3-4 hours before sunset for evening hunts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
By 4pm.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You can have very good results even later than 4pm as long as you mind the wind (scent) and don't make a bunch of noise on your way to the stand.  Besides, a poor hunt is a lot better than TV on the couch...
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Get in there as early as possible.

Sure the magic time is closer to sunset, but I've had deer moving around me at all times of the day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Around here when they start moving through way before dawn I change up and hunt from about 1000 to 1500 or so. Best buck I had on a camera in years came through at 1400 or so on a day I was planning on hunting through midday. Lost track of time and didn't get into the woods until a half hour later.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 1:04:38 AM EDT
[#8]
No idea.
I kill most of my bucks between 10am and 3pm.
Everyone else hunts first light until about 9am.
They go back about 4pm.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#9]
The best time is before the deer show up. That can vary by location and specific deer. I adjust according to patterns from cameras.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Really depends on the time of year and when I'm seeing activity. Typically I'll stay out longer during the rut than early October however there seems to be activity even as early as  5 - 5:30 around here at the moment with shooting light light till 7:50 or a bit later (it gets dark a little early back in the thick woods and overcast) so yeah 4pm isn't a bad choice here either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:41:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#13]
For poster's saying get out as early as possible, yes, I totally agree.  My preference is to be out well before sunrise and hunt until last legal light.  

But, my specific question has to do with days where all day just isn't an option, so my choices are either a late hunt in the stand by 4 or don't hunt at all.  I wish I could just hunt all day all the time
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#14]
If all you can do is 2 hours before sunset then do it, just be quiet and don't sweat on the way in.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#15]
What time they come out will depend on pressure, normal human flow, and the rut.

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 10:25:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No idea.
I kill most of my bucks between 10am and 3pm.
Everyone else hunts first light until about 9am.
They go back about 4pm.
View Quote

Agreed. I grew up hunting all over the Midwest and this is what I found. Missour, Illinois, Kentucky, Arkansas.

Out west here, we generally spend several hours packing in morning and evening so we also have most success mid day.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Like others have said I try to be in my stand no latter the 0400 and stay till about 30 minutes after the end of the legal shouting hours.   If I get tired during the day I can take a nap in my stand.

Wolf
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Next couple of times you go out, start paying attention to how long it takes between your getting settled in and when the squirrels start acting like you aren't there.

That being said, I like to be in my stand at least two hours before sunset at a minimum.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I like to be in the stand ready to shoot no later than 2 1/2 hours before sunset.  Obviously the more time you sit the better your odds.  Especially during peak rut when I like to go dark to dark.  a 6 hour sit is no joke and can get old really fast.  Dont kill your enthusiasm out of the gate.  Save the best spot for ONLY when the wind is right for the location or else you run the risk of blowing them out or worse yet forcing them into nocturnal patterns right out of the gate.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#20]
At least an hour before you expect to see deer. But I have seen deer climbing a tree.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
At least an hour before you expect to see deer. But I have seen deer climbing a tree.
View Quote

Whoa.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Whoa.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa.
Yeah That does conjure quite a picture! Several years back I had just lowered the bow to the ground and turned around in my climber to come down and sure enough 2 bucks showed up in bow range - there are days like that.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:27:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah That does conjure quite a picture! Several years back I had just lowered the bow to the ground and turned around in my climber to come down and sure enough 2 bucks showed up in bow range - there are days like that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa.

I was at the bottom of the tree one morning, wrapping up my haul lines, getting ready to take my stand off of the tree and pack out, when I noticed a doe 30 yards behind me, just standing there watching me.  I went flat on my stomach, elbow crawled ten feet to my pack and bow, dug out my release, put it on, nocked an arrow, by then she was on the move, making a slow trot around me, and keeping herself about 20 yards distant.  As she passed behind a tree, I got up to my knee and drew, when she came out from behind the tree, she looked right at me, spooked and bolted.  

I find it funny to wonder how long she was there watching me pack up my gear.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Next couple of times you go out, start paying attention to how long it takes between your getting settled in and when the squirrels start acting like you aren't there.

That being said, I like to be in my stand at least two hours before sunset at a minimum.  

View Quote

Good advice.   One of my goals for this hunting season is to improve my entrance and exit from the woods.  Trying to be more careful Ruth the wind and be more stealthy with noise.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#25]
I like to hunt the last 3.5 to 4 hours of shooting light.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 5:11:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sure the magic time is closer to sunset, but I've had deer moving around me at all times of the day.
View Quote

This.  I only get down to shit (if i cant hold it) or to eat (if Ive eatn everything else i brought.)  At minimum be there at least an hour before.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I was at the bottom of the tree one morning, wrapping up my haul lines, getting ready to take my stand off of the tree and pack out, when I noticed a doe 30 yards behind me, just standing there watching me.  I went flat on my stomach, elbow crawled ten feet to my pack and bow, dug out my release, put it on, nocked an arrow, by then she was on the move, making a slow trot around me, and keeping herself about 20 yards distant.  As she passed behind a tree, I got up to my knee and drew, when she came out from behind the tree, she looked right at me, spooked and bolted.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa.

So me and a buddy were shooting at my dad's house on his 100 yard range. I means, ar15, handguns, and no suppressors. In between mag changes on my ar, a deer walks around the edge of the shooting berm. I'm standing there in awe and the deer I swear give me a head nod and calmly walks back behind the berm. I still wonder to this day if that deer wasn't deaf and couldn't hear anything we were doing.

As far as when I get in the stand walking in under nods around 430 and I'm walking out that night under nods. I use the whole day usually as I enjoy the peace and quiet more than anything. I use it as me time to decompress.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.  I only get down to shit (if i cant hold it) or to eat (if Ive eatn everything else i brought.)  At minimum be there at least an hour before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No surprise we agree... as we hunt the same state.  ( Assumption. I know. )

What I think would be a question, kind of on the same vein, which would help a lot of folks, is this one...

If you are trying to put together a day and time to hunt, do you even consider the Solunar table's day's and times to be in the woods ?

Yesterday, I was in the stand ALL DAY in a spot that has produced excellent deer sightings and opportunities to sling an arrow

From bell to bell I was out there.

NOT ONE DEER SEEN.

Solunar table said it was a poor day to be out.

There have been many days I've been out there and spotted deer when the solunar table says it would be a poor day afield.

Since I'm not a 'Pro'... What say's the pro's ??

Blow the solunar tables off ?!?!?!?

Or take heed ?

( punctuation edit... )
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So me and a buddy were shooting at my dad's house on his 100 yard range. I means, ar15, handguns, and no suppressors. In between mag changes on my ar, a deer walks around the edge of the shooting berm. I'm standing there in awe and the deer I swear give me a head nod and calmly walks back behind the berm. I still wonder to this day if that deer wasn't deaf and couldn't hear anything we were doing.

As far as when I get in the stand walking in under nods around 430 and I'm walking out that night under nods. I use the whole day usually as I enjoy the peace and quiet more than anything. I use it as me time to decompress.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa.

Yep.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 1:41:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yep.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use the whole day usually as I enjoy the peace and quiet more than anything. I use it as me time to decompress.[/span]

Yep.  

Oh, yeah.

I love being outdoors.  I've always enjoyed camping and hiking; getting back to nature.  It helps me feel connected, relaxed and at peace.

I discovered hunting five years ago, and nothing compares to it.  I still like camping and hiking, but I look forward to this time of year more than any other despite the fact that I have not yet connected with a deer.

Damn, I really hope this is my year for deer.  Fourth season pursuing whitetails.  In any case, a bad day hunting is better than a good day at the office.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whoa.

Yep; Hunt very long and you have plenty of stuff happen to you!

Link Posted: 10/12/2015 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For poster's saying get out as early as possible, yes, I totally agree.  My preference is to be out well before sunrise and hunt until last legal light.  

But, my specific question has to do with days where all day just isn't an option, so my choices are either a late hunt in the stand by 4 or don't hunt at all.  I wish I could just hunt all day all the time
View Quote

Then 4 I'd as early as possible.

More likely to see deer between 4 and sunset if you are in the woods.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just to give you an idea...
Sun rise is 7:11AM so I would be up in my stand by 5:30AM all set because 6:41AM is start of legal shooting time.
Sun set is 7:12PM so I would be up in my stand by 6:00PM all set because 7:42PM is end of legal shooting time.
I like to be in my position at lease 1 hour before legal shooting time in the morning or at leaset 1 hour before sunset time.

View Quote

AGree one hour before you expect to see deer is fine.  I would also be careful going in.  Some spots are good during the early afternoon.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#34]
It really depended on where I was hunting and what time of the year. So if sunset was 7pm I would try and be in the stand by 4pm at the latest and sunrise was 7 am I would try and be in there by 6 am.

Now the wild card is if I was hunting an area that I knew had other hunters in it, I would always try and be in my stand before them. I took a few deer because the other dopes spooked them my way during their walk in.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Some days I never leave the stand but on the days I do just an afternoon hunt or a split, I like to get in the stand 2-3 hours before dark. If I get home in time today I'll get in about an hour before dark. We have muzzleloader season this week, I hunted Sunday morning and Monday evening after work. Monday I busted up a group of 6 does on my way in just beyond my stand then never saw them again, if I had been out earlier I probably would have had meat on the ground. Once the time changes my weekday after work hunts come to an end.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#36]
For evenings, I prefer to be in the stand 3-4 hours before sunset.  The minimum that I would consider going is 2 hours beforehand.  Anything shorter runs too much risk of spooking deer in the area.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I love to still hunt into my stand for afternoon hunts, and be on the stand the last 2.5-3 hours of daylight.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I like to hunt the last 3.5 to 4 hours of shooting light.
View Quote

This. I've found that if I set my feeder to go off too late, the deer don't come until it's dark. I try to feed right at daylight and mid to late afternoon. I also feed less in the evenings. Depending on sunset in your area and how much time you actually have, set your timer accordingly and be in the stand at least an hour before it goes off.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
4pm for an expected 7pm hunt is right in line with our schedule. We try to get in at least a couple hours early just to be settled in and have no noise or movement close to when we think the deer will be coming through. If they are early we don't want to still be hiking or climbing.
View Quote

Pretty much this for me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not considering the rut, where I try to hunt all day, I like to be in my stand about 3-4 hours before sunset for evening hunts.
View Quote

This...usually four hours prior.  Depends on where I'm setting up though.  I might not be too finicky if I'm far away from the bedding areas.  If I'm close in by them I want to be up at least 4 hours before sunset.  I've taken deer as early as 4pm when deer are still in their summer patterns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top