Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2015 9:29:20 AM EDT
Froze my ass off last year so I ordered some new gear and I'm replacing my pants with insulated bibs. Belt carry is a no-go for obvious reasons. Chest carry works, and I actually have a Guides Choice holster for a 4 5/8" SBH. The issue there is that I'm carrying a AR platform and the holster positions the pistol right where my rifle is slung and the two bang together something vicious. Not worried about scratching, worried about the noise. My last thoughts are to pack a glock with the chamber empty in a bellyband up high on my rib cage under the bibs, or maybe put a trigger guard on it and stuff it into a pocket. Each has its drawbacks.

Has anyone run into this problem? How did you resolve it?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Carry your rifle with a basic sling over one shoulder?  That's how I carry any rifle or shotgun I'll be using into the field.  When I'm carrying my climbing stand it makes it tricky not to have the metal stand band against the metal rifle, so then I just carry the rifle in my hands.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I put a "generic" ballistic nylon sheath on my pack belt and strong side outside carry.  If I dont need the backpak I just use a cheapo
adjustable cloth belt and OWB carry my 629 in the same holster.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a shoulder holster for times like that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#4]
This holster looks to be somewhat adjustable for position.
Amazon Link
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry a S&W Model 629 in a cross draw holster along with a knife pouch and speed loader pouch on a sturdy leather belt which is belted over my bibs.  It stays put even without belt loops in my experience.  A shoulder holster would also be an option.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Buy a bigger belt.

I'm a pretty big believer in keeping my pistol in the same place all of the time, so I just use a large outer belt when wearing thick winter layers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amazon Link
View Quote

I've got one of those! It is basically an updated tanker holster, it works pretty good with a regular two point sling but may still cause the OP issues with his set up. Since the OP already has a chest rig I'd just change the sling on my rifle or hand carry it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I also wear a shoulder holster while deer hunting. I want to shoot one if it gets close with a pistol and this makes it amazingly accessible.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Would a drop leg holster work around your pant leg?
Those are pretty adjustable.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Would a drop leg holster work around your pant leg?Those are pretty adjustable.
View Quote

I doubt there is a belt on his insulated overalls to attach it to.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Small slit in bib for the belt part perhaps?

ETA:

Ah, I was thinking he'd have pants on under the bibs.

Commando huh
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've got one of those! It is basically an updated tanker holster, it works pretty good with a regular two point sling but may still cause the OP issues with his set up. Since the OP already has a chest rig I'd just change the sling on my rifle or hand carry it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon Link

I wear a tanker rig when cutting hay and basic running around the ranch, works great, spring, winter, summer fall..holds
1911, browning hi power, ruger 22/45 and a model 10 S&W with ease..other guns, larger frames,,soak the holster wet  stick gun in
plastic bag, shove into wet holster..dry for 48 hours...presto..it fits your gun..

think CTD or Sportmans guide has them for $30
Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replies gents! I'm gonna look into that Kenai holster. It appears that it will hold a Glock closer to my chest than the Diamond D does the Ruger. I may give that a go.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:56:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I wear a tanker rig when cutting hay and basic running around the ranch, works great, spring, winter, summer fall..holds
1911, browning hi power, ruger 22/45 and a model 10 S&W with ease..other guns, larger frames,,soak the holster wet  stick gun in
plastic bag, shove into wet holster..dry for 48 hours...presto..it fits your gun..

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Amazon Link

This, tanker holster. It doesn't get cold enough here where I have to give up regular OWB holster carry when hunting. But my old man does use one for his .45 when hunting and barely knows its there.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Just carry a small revolver in your pocket.
When I rifle hunt I just carry a S&W model 38 Bodyguard in my front pocket.
I don't see the need for large handgun when rifle hunting.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry either my Colt 1911, or my Ruger Blachawk 4-5/8 .357 in a WW2 tanker holster.

It swivels around far enough to my left side that the AR does not hit the grip, and the rifle hangs either level or with the muzzle slightly down and to my left.

My binos hang in the middle with a waterproof cover over them, and if I need both hands to climb, I can shove the rifle magazine down behind the binos and tighten the sling to hold the rifle against my chest.

The WW2 holster was my fathers so it has been well seasoned since that time.

It has his initials on it, as well as USN stamped in it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 10:39:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I use a fanny pack
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I just wear a pistol belt around my waist over my bibs, been doing so for decades. No issues at all unless I have to take a dump.

I did toy with the idea of sewing three belt loops on to help take the weight of larger revolvers but the view was not worth the climb as all I carry is a Colt Police Positive in a flapped holster and a reload pouch on the belt. Pretty light weight.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:21:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Carry in extra belt outside of bibs?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Yikes - Pricey
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top