Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 9:16:40 AM EDT
With trap-door access instead of a standard door?

I am thinking about doing this as my next blind for three reasons-

1.  I hate the wind kicking around my doors (and letting air IN)

2. I suck at building traditional doors.  They never shut good, hang poorly, etc etc

3. It will be cool

thoughts?  Who has built one like this?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
TheRedGoat had a thread last year or so documenting a pretty nice blind he built.  I can't seem to find it, but maybe do a search or PM him.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can't build a regular door, I don't think a trap door is going to come out any better.

My dad and I had a couple with trap doors when I was a kid.  They basically were 1" plywood built to fit in a hole trimmed with 2x4s.  They were hard to get through with a rifle, and I was always a little scared they would fall through (they couldn't).  

I also don't like sticking my head into a stand before being able to look in, way too many encounters with wasps, owls, and bats.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Trap doors are great in theory, but as has already been said, they're a PITA in practice.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
For your regular door, use large hinges, and put three on the door, not just two.  Sink your screws into the door so it will close flush, bolts on the outside of the hinge.  (Don't forget the Loctite)  Put a 2x4 on the outside middle of the door from left to right and drive an eye bolt from the inside into the 2x4 by the hinge side of the door.  Anchor a trampoline spring to the inside of the door frame and to the eye bolt, you now have a spring door that will stay tightly closed.

When you get out, use two hasps on the outside instead of just one.  In the off season, remove the spring and screw it shut with several screws on all sides, this will keep it from warping.

The spring also allows me to prop the door open to let a breeze through without it flapping in the wind.  I will try to remember to take pics next time I swing by the lease.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:50:33 AM EDT
[#5]
we have trap doors on 2 of the 6 tower stands we have put up.  Not very complicated, easy to access; but we use steep steps rather than ladders to access the box.  ladders and trap doors don't mix very well, especially when trying to bring a heater with, or extra gear, etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't do it. You want your floor smooth and rigid as a good solid base for the walls and door. Just use good hinges that are well attached and level the blind when needed to keep the door fitting properly. Use a thin trim board with weatherstripping around the outside edge of the door to prevent wind from entering and to keep it quiet closing.

These guys make some really nice windows and doors. Super quiet, too. We've only used the windows and they're damn nice. They worked very well up in the Panhandle where the wind can be a bit...sporty, and cold.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Just built this last week.  4x6 on a 4x8 base. Cider front and back, treated plywood sides and door.  Put up in an hour and a half.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 1:08:48 AM EDT
[#8]
This is my little house.

Added my windows

Wolf
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Just go to a lumberyard and ask for a construction door or a fuck up someone ordered. The only thing I paid for On my deer stand were 3 pella windows from lowes. They were in the clearance section (someone fucked up an order) Original $250 a piece. I got them for $15 each. The rest was all leftover wood from odd places. Cover pieces for when I order tin.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just go to a lumberyard and ask for a construction door or a fuck up someone ordered. The only thing I paid for On my deer stand were 3 pella windows from lowes. They were in the clearance section (someone fucked up an order) Original $250 a piece. I got them for $15 each. The rest was all leftover wood from odd places. Cover pieces for when I order tin.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/stesch_s10/20150908_120733_zpsn4lssqnh.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/stesch_s10/20150908_120801_zpsnxuv8eop.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/stesch_s10/20150923_105916_zps5ebqcogb.jpg
View Quote

What are the dimensions on your shout house?   Mine is a 6x6.   It started out as kids Jungle Jim set.    One of my neighbors had it; there kids weren’t using it anymore.    I gave them a hundred dollars for it.  I’m thinking about building another one, but like a 8x8 to give me a little more room to move around in.    

Wolf
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:24:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/stesch_s10/20150908_120733_zpsn4lssqnh.jpg

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/stesch_s10/20150908_120801_zpsnxuv8eop.jpg
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab259/stesch_s10/20150923_105916_zps5ebqcogb.jpg
View Quote

I like the looks of that
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice job, Wolf1952. Here's mine. No trap door. Entrance is a side door,  I have to add steps like yours for sure. Did you cut your own stringers?

" />
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Dancing Bear.   You can’t see my door.   It is in the back side.   I am using an old tree stand and latter to get in with.   I use the tree stand seat as the landing, or porch for my stand.  Just haven’t got around to adding a porch to the back.   The ladder on the ground in front of my stand is so I could get on the roof to hook up my solar panel.   The post are full 4x4x20’s.   this thing started out as a kids Jungle Jim set.  

Wolf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top