Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2015 10:29:28 PM EDT
I began hunting 6 years ago and hunt deer, but coyote and bear are in the future. I hunt throughout northern New England and have been accruing lottery bonus points for the NH moose lottery by deferring for the past few years but won't put in until i finish graduate school. I've got the following rifles and was wondering if you saw a glaring void in my rifle battery? A 22hornet or 35rem has been on my mind but let me know your thoughts. thanks, bayscallops

(1) TC prohunter fx .50cal w/ leupold vx2 3-9x
(2) Ruger american compact 7mm08 w/ vortex diamondback 1.5-5x
(3) Winchester 70 featherweight .243 w/ weaver k4
(4) Kimber 8400 300wsm w/ vortex hs 4-16x
(5) Savage 93r 17hmr w/ bushnell banner 4-12x

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:34:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You actually have all those species covered however this being arfcom - how about an AR!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes , you are covered but I might suggest keeping a eye out for a 45/70 marlin lever gun . You will want a used one with "JM" stamped on the barrel
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You actually have all those species covered however this being arfcom - how about an AR!
View Quote

Not the worst idea, actually.

Pretty versatile, from .22lr, to .50 beowulf and .458 SOCOM

can be set up to take out varmits, up to bear

And is a pretty good defensive rifle at the end of the day
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback, I can feel a better nights rest already.

dbd870/ zackmars: I wish I could say I excluded an arf from the list for PERSEC reasons but really I just haven't gotten into them. I've played with a few from a friends collection. And I did recommend one to my better half as the easiest firearm to learn to shoot. Its defensive abilities are undeniable. A while ago I bought the parts to build a lower but never followed through. But no need to worry about my persec, I keep a JoeBiden especial and the good book close by. Although . . . new neighbors did fly a big gadsden flag in their yard for a week like some warning to suburbia.

nhsport: What does the JM stand for? JesusMary and Joseph's J was lost in the sale to another conglomerate? I always take note of a 45/70 at the range but other than ability to reload/factory ammo choices what is the advantage over a 444 or 450, etc? I've looked at BLRs but felt like they weren't the same as a Marlin, something to be said for a flat nose in a tube mag. There is also a youtube post from a Maine gunsmith converting a Mosin into a sporter 45/70, not going this route but it was interesting.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Zackmars: Few years back, a real nice guy allowed me to shoot his 50beowolf at a public range, it was bad to the bone. He later told me it was headed to the NRA as a gift for Sarah Palin and he (atlas tactical) built the damn thing! The not nice thing was that he had loaded the rounds with shotgun powder and I was the first to try it. I learned this crumb of importance after I shot more than a handful. The 458 also seems darn cool; the gentleman with the 50beowolf said that these larger arf calibers were meant to crack engine blocks at checkpoints, do you know if thats true?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Zackmars: Few years back, a real nice guy allowed me to shoot his 50beowolf at a public range, it was bad to the bone. He later told me it was headed to the NRA as a gift for Sarah Palin and he (atlas tactical) built the damn thing! The not nice thing was that he had loaded the rounds with shotgun powder and I was the first to try it. I learned this crumb of importance after I shot more than a handful. The 458 also seems darn cool; the gentleman with the 50beowolf said that these larger arf calibers were meant to crack engine blocks at checkpoints, do you know if thats true?
View Quote

Jesus mary and joseph! this is it!!! https://shar.es/1sSNf2 InHerHonor link
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#7]
JM stamp means it was made when Marlin owned the company. Once Remington (Freedom Group) bought them out they had QC problems - reports are still mixed on them and no way would I order one sight unseen.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#8]
The only thing I can see missing is a heavy caliber as mentioned by another poster.

I like the 45-70 personally due to the wide variety of commercial ammo availability - everything from polymer tipped jacketed bullets to hollow points to cast lead are available commercially. The 444 marlin, 35 whelen, & 405 winchester are good calibers. It is nice to have a big bore heavy hitting rifle, especially in carbine form, for hunting dense brush.

If you ever plan to hunt the mid-west (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois) then consider a slug gun. Some areas allow rifles but some are slug gun only. Some areas (such as Ohio) have limited rifle seasons but it must be a straight walled case such as 45 long colt, 45-70, 444 marlin, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top