Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see the need to hunt deer over bait, meaning corn or feeders.  Its a waste of money for deer.  I have zero sympathy for the bear hound hunters, as that is an equally sporting practice.

Common agricultural practices are effectively large scale baiting for migratory birds.  I tend to think it shouldn't be illegal to bait doves.  I have no intention of doing any baiting on migratory birds, not worth the risk.  However, I would love to understand how bush hogging crops, then flooding the fields is not baiting.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I kill to fill the freezer. If it's legal,  nothing else matters.  Besides, my horses' supplies attract deer like magic anyway.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 9:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
We use bait in South Texas. Alot of places the brush is impenetrable and you will never see a deer otherwise.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's legal I don't care what anyone does - not stirring the pot.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Where I hunt you can't take doe, or bucks with an inside spread under 13".  Basically only spikes and trophies, and only one "trophey" per county.  When your freezer is empty, do what ya gotta do.  I wish we had a deer problem lol.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't understand how baiting is somehow less moral than raising and butchering an animal. It's not like animals care whether they were taken "sportingly" or not. Wouldn't getting killed while munching corn actually be nicer for Bambi than not munching corn? Isn't an easier shot likely to be a better shot?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We use bait in South Texas. Alot of places the brush is impenetrable and you will never see a deer otherwise.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't understand how baiting is somehow less moral than raising and butchering an animal. It's not like animals care whether they were taken "sportingly" or not. Wouldn't getting killed while munching corn actually be nicer for Bambi than not munching corn? Isn't an easier shot likely to be a better shot?
View Quote

It's not. But feels are frequently used in debating hunting practices on all sides.

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:17:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's not. But feels are frequently used in debating hunting practices on all sides.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So true.  Hell you should hear some spear fisherman attack the ones that spearfish on scuba.  It's why I only hunt on my land. So many hunters are drunk, stupid, whiny, retarded, or a combo of those that it's just not worth being exposed to them.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#10]
AS long as bag limits are followed I have no problems with it.  For any animal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I hunt a tract of land that is around 120 acres. I have a feeder on the the front 25. I never hunt it. It's there to supplement their natural feed.
I also use mineral supplements at the same location.
It gives them a safe haven. I've seen several does on my stand, take one, and then on the way out, the rest are standing around grazing at the feeder watching me. Like it never happened.
It's legal here and I run the feeder year round. I slack WAY off in the summer but it's running a few seconds every day all year.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally, I don't see the big deal. I don't see a difference between hunting over bait, and hunting over a food plot or corn field. I don't hunt over "bait"(it's illegal here), but I do hunt food plots and trails heading to other food/water sources. There's no difference between them in my mind. If it's legal in your area and helps you put meat in your freeze? Do it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 6:21:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I learned several years ago that hunters are a peculiar lot. On a North Carolina hunting forum a vast majority of the membership will give you the shirt off your back help you in any way that they can possibly help you, and do it all with a smile on their face expecting nothing in return. However, at the same time they are likely to turn you in to the Wildlife Resources Commission, if they even think that something you might do in regards to hunting, could possibly be illegal. Even if it's not illegal.

I asked an ethical question. And got jumped all over, called a law breaker. Unethical. Was told to be prepared to deal with Bubba. And all I did was ask a simple question.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

No issue with baiting,but why not cut a sendaro and plant some food plots?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't always rain enough for food plots.  This year has been good for them the Lablab I planted last spring is now four foot tall.  But isn't a food plot still baiting an animal to a certain area any form of habitat improvement could be considered baiting.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:19:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I have killed 1 Buck in the last 5 years, I have passed on many shots at does and yearlings, "usually because they have a yearling with them". I feed 800lbs on average a season, I have some of the best looking Doves, Redbirds, and Squirrels you have ever seen. During the last two bad winters I figure I have feed many animals that would have not made it.

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#17]
You hunt how you want and I'll hunt like I want; as long as its legal.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't even need bait to hunt.  Hell, I don't even need a gun.

I do perfectly well with a V8 and a long stretch of highway!
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 8:22:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Hammermill thread.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll use whatever legal advantages I can get. Bait isn't legal here though. So I have to practice shooting further.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#21]
They give death row prisoners a decent last meal,  it's the least I can do before I full my freezer.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Personally, I don't see the big deal. I don't see a difference between hunting over bait, and hunting over a food plot or corn field. I don't hunt over "bait"(it's illegal here), but I do hunt food plots and trails heading to other food/water sources. There's no difference between them in my mind. If it's legal in your area and helps you put meat in your freeze? Do it.
View Quote

Food plots don't make noise while spitting 'ready-to-eat' meals in a concentrated spot.

With that said, I don't care how people hunt as long as it's legal and it doesn't deplete the resource.

I look at a bunch of hunting rules as pretty silly really.

For a lot of states, why the requirement to put a plug in your shotgun to limit the shells to 3 ?
There is already a limit on how many you can kill each day and how many you have in possession.
The need to take away two shots before a re-load is what ?!?!?!?

And with deer, our .gov decides you can kill a few Missouri Bucks per year* because their numbers are large enough to handle it without hurting their overall numbers.

Who cares if you kill them over bait or not.  It's food.  And memories.

I know I wouldn't be as proud of killing a large antlered deer over bait as I would killing one without the help of it.

But that's just me.

* Archery limit is 2ea, Firearms limit is 1ea, and getting drawn into a Management Hunt limit is 1ea.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't hunt. If I did, I would consider baiting to be synonymous with trapping, not hunting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Food plots don't make noise while spitting 'ready-to-eat' meals in a concentrated spot.

With that said, I don't care how people hunt as long as it's legal and it doesn't deplete the resource.

For a lot of states, why the requirement to put a plug in your shotgun to limit the shells to 3 ?

And with deer, our .gov decides you can kill a few Missouri Bucks per year* because their numbers are large enough to handle it without hurting their overall numbers.

I know I wouldn't be as proud of killing a large antlered deer over bait as I would killing one without the help of it.

But that's just me.

* Archery limit is 2ea, Firearms limit is 1ea, and getting drawn into a Management Hunt limit is 1ea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that's just me.

Federal regulation on migratory is 1+2 in the gun.

In AZ for anything that isnt a migratory bird, i can use my 3gun shotgun which holds 12 rounds. Some states i guess dont want there to be any confusion so they make it 3 for all???
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In AZ for anything that isnt a migratory bird, i can use my 3gun shotgun which holds 12 rounds. Some states i guess dont want there to be any confusion so they make it 3 for all???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that's just me.

Sounds reasonable on the State side, but the Fed. part is stupid.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#27]
As far as I'm concerned hunting over bait is the smart thing to do. Shit when I was a kid we would usually kill one thing and use it to attract something bigger. Seems like common sense. Guess it depends on why you hunt. If you do it for fun then hunting over bait seems dumb. If you do it for food it makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:41:08 PM EDT
[#28]
When I fish I use smaller fish to catch bigger fish
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
When I fish I use smaller fish to catch bigger fish
View Quote

UNETHICAL HEATHEN!!!!

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't see the need to hunt deer over bait, meaning corn or feeders.  Its a waste of money for deer.  I have zero sympathy for the bear hound hunters, as that is an equally sporting practice.

Common agricultural practices are effectively large scale baiting for migratory birds.  I tend to think it shouldn't be illegal to bait doves.  I have no intention of doing any baiting on migratory birds, not worth the risk.  However, I would love to understand how bush hogging crops, then flooding the fields is not baiting.
View Quote

How do you catch your fish ?
How far do we go with this ? Why does it matter ? If you only capture/kill within the take limits why does it matter how the critter died ?
Over top.. I know but. Thinking out of the box.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Baiting is just as old as hunting.  Man has been doing it for eons around the world.  At least we are no longer driving game off cliffs or using fire to drive them.

CD
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

And it sucks to get your meat that way!  I know, I have hit two in the last three years.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
V6's work too.

Link Posted: 8/6/2015 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
If it's legal I don't care what anyone does - not stirring the pot.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'll use whatever legal advantages I can get. Bait isn't legal here though. So I have to practice shooting further.
View Quote

Where are you hunting in OR that isn't legal?

ODFW told me it was "not recommended" but is very much legal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Baiting is just as old as hunting.  Man has been doing it for eons around the world.  At least we are no longer driving game off cliffs or using fire to drive them.

CD
View Quote

Lets not think rationally here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 12:09:56 AM EDT
[#37]
I've baited and it is effective in filling the tags.  What's the difference in that and using a firearm.  Either makes it easier.  You aren't some sort of purist unless you are running the game down and killing it with a stone axe.  Anything else is highly hypocritical and elitist. And immature in your thinking.

I don't bait anymore as it attracts wild hogs which are the bane of my existence.  I take as many deer without baiting as with baiting, I just see deer more consistently baiting, which holds the interest of my kid.

I'm not impressed that you don't use a feeder or bait.  Maybe you can impress a child or young teenager with your prowess.  Good luck with your ego.

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 9:33:33 PM EDT
[#38]
I really love ARFCOM for the variables in opinion.  

You see on one page a statement that basically leads one to believe that a fair fight shows lack of planning and preparation on either side.

Then you see other threads with things like I am above trying to take advantage of exploiting an adversaries weaknesses.  

I love the entertainment.... Statements from,  I am above being unfair, to if you ain't cheatin' you aint tryin'!
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I will be taking both my kids on their first deer hunts this year. In Kansas you "technically" can't hunt over bait but if the bait is more than 100 yds away from your stand than it's not considered baiting. Kind of a grey area.

I'll use whatever advantage I can get when I take my kids out but I like more of a challenge when it's just me. No scent blocker, no bait, no trail cams, no tree stands or manufactured ground blinds, and I'm usually chain smoking all day. If a deer is dumb enough to walk in front of me under those conditions I feel I'm doing my part to weed out the undesirables.

But yeah, as long as you're within the law who cares how you hunt?
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I've heard so many crappy arguments for "ethical hunters" in my area.

We aren't allowed to use any bait in our area, 30 days before the season starts.

We aren't allowed to use semi auto rifles (even though lever actions and pumps have the same aimed fire rate)

I get crap from my buddies about using a suppressor to hunt (which gives them a better shot at deer in the area, since I don't spook them all.)

When we start having a low deer population in Western PA, then come talk to me about ethical hunting.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn  now what am I going to do. The farmer down the road said I could hunt the corner where his corn, soy beans and apple orchard meet. Said it was a good spot cause the deer all come there to eat.

What is the difference hunting over a crop or pile of bait?  If it's legal then it's ok by me.

EBR666
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#42]
I wish I could but it's against state law. I do however put bait out late summer to early fall for trail camera pictures and it produces deer during the day like it's nobodies business. I have to pull it 10 days before the season starts on that note though, I have zero issues with baiting where legal though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#43]
How many of those against baiting deer go fishing with bare hooks? I daresay none. Aside from trophy bucks, it is not difficult to kill deer, with or without bait. It is illegal to bait here in TN, oddly the local WalMart is well stocked with Deer Corn and various other baits. My favorite is the stuff that looks like dirt, but is bait. Of course, they don't intend for you to break any game laws with it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:17:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You hunt how you want and I'll hunt like I want; as long as its legal.
View Quote

THIS!!! When I was a kid we were taught to only kill what your going to eat, give the animal as quick a death as possible and to follow the laws governing your hunting. Baiting is not legal where I hunt. But if it was I'd probably do it if I could afford to. When God blesses you with seven children, (hers, mine and ours), you sometimes need every bit of help you can get to keep them fed. And that, is really what hunting is for. Feeding your family.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 3:31:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Someone tell nature that baiting isn't legal.

I suppose it is likely not sporting to Bubba to use the weapon located between his ears to outwit his prey.  Maybe he's unarmed in that respect.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#47]
With my new property, the previous owner hated deer. He built a hedge of tree branches, leaves, and logs around the perimeter of the cleared areas, and installed motion lights everywhere.

I've seen one doe.

I put some corn out to try to get them back into the land, and hopefully it'll work this year. I've been putting some out every day or two for the past two weeks. It's getting eaten, and my wife says she's seen a couple different does.

I don't intend to shoot them while they're eating, but I don't have a problem with it, and it's totally legal in Maryland to do so on my land.

ETA:
Squirrels on the other hand... I'll take them wherever they are. Rats with bushy tails...
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#48]
seems to me sides in this thread are taken based on tofu vs. backstrap...lol

I'm in Virginia.. please come take a few deer home with you.
I work nights, to around sunset.. and from around sunrise and I'm tired of playing dodge the deer in the road....
hell, I had one run into the side of my truck at work the other night while sitting at a dead stop.

fuggin' property damage reports...lol

ETA.. and yes, I hunt, not over bait.. who needs it.
I fill my tag and buy bonus tags every year....
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#49]
I have no delusional ideas that I somehow have a right to tell others how they should or should not hunt!!

Use whatever you want to .. it's not my business!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I love bait'n in the woods. Makes me feel at one with nature.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top