Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2015 10:13:01 AM EDT
Looking for some advice on putting up a deer fence. Has anyone installed one of the fence kits found online? One dealer has kits with pole mounting sleeves that you drive into the ground and insert the poles, making them removable.

The kits I've seen all have polypropylene fence "mesh" that seems pretty flimsy, does it hold up very well?

Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.

Link Posted: 6/21/2015 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you looking to create a feeder pen? If so and you have hogs/cattle on the property you'll need to use hog or cattle panels and Tposts.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are trying to keep deer out of your garden or corn field?    Get yourself a role of orange marker tape / orange survey tape.    Run the marker survey tape around your garden.    The deer will not go near it.    They have learned what the orange is.

Wolf
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:27:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I did not want my back yard garden looking like a concentration camp.  Big 10 foot fences were out of the question.  I tried everything.  NOTHING worked.....

Then I encountered a fencing technique recommended by various State fish and game agencies.  Run a single strand of electric fencing about 30 inches above ground.  Every 15 feet or so make a small foil 'tent".  I used 6"x6" squares of galv sheet metal, bent on a brake to resemble a small, old school pup tent.  Place foil/tent over wire, use a bit of duct tape underneath to hold in place.   Then place a good dollop of peanut butter under the tent.  

Deer can easily jump this wire.  And deer often learn to jump thru a electric fence.  Any voltage they get on their body apparently encourages them to jump forward.  However, Bambi is curious.  The peanut butter is oh so wonderful smelling.  They get a full charge os voltage in the face or on the tongue.  Trust me, this backs them up fast!  I haven't heard one scream yet, but it is WONDERFULLY effective.

Its not a barrier.  Its a training system.  Deer get a shot or two, and learn fast.  The wonderfully smelling peanut butter fence is the devil.  The stay away.

This is the only 100% effective method I've used, and Ive used ALL of them except the 10 foot tall razor wire concentration camp approach.  Its been roughly a decade and its 100%.

Fro
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea the mesh just doesn't seem strong enough to last very long. The welded wire fence is looking like the best option, but i've never tried putting up a six foot wire fence before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top