Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2015 1:03:31 PM EDT
I have never planted a food plot before and have a couple of questions.
1) When is the best time to plant?
2) What is a good to plant? I am hunting in southeast Texas if that helps.

A friend told me about Evolved Habitats products. Anybody ever use it?

www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Evolved-Habitats-Pro-Vide/productDetail/Food-and-Attractants/prod72127/cat100403
www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Evolved-Habitats-Pro-Graze/productDetail/Food-and-Attractants/prod72126/cat100403
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 5:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
a lot of good mixes out there.
get a soil sample and go from there.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m planting for deer and myself.   Last year I planted four pear trees and two crab apple trees.   This year I planted four saw tooth oaks.   The oaks will be ready in about tree years.   The pairs and crab apples  will have fruit this year.  Deer just love pear and crab apples.   Now if you want to keep the dear away from them just hang some orange marker tape on them.

Wolf
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking of doing my first food plot this year too, but I'm afraid the hogs are going to tear it up.  I've heard the deer like carrots, so I'll probably just plant a row of them and see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I plant beans in the spring and winter rye in the fall works good for my spot that has a tendency to flood
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I highly recommend that you head over to the QDMA website and do some reading. Tons of info and there  always someone willing to help the new guy.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#6]
What type of equipment do you have access to?

Check with your local agricultural extension office. They are a wealth of info, can do the soil tests, etc. Be advised that it takes a while to adjust soil pH so you probably want to go ahead and get some samples done now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top