Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, I messed up the link. Cut and paste, its worth it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry, I messed up the link. Cut and paste, its worth it.
View Quote

should be http// go back and delete the "s" from the URL
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I hear them begging to be dredged in flour and fried, then covered in gravy.
damn, now I'm hungry again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yup... They talk to me...

I hear them begging to be dredged in flour and fried, then covered in gravy.
damn, now I'm hungry again.

That's it.... Venny Tenderloins for dinner tomorrow..
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#4]
It's easy to overlook them or not noise the sounds.  A lot of what I have hear were very low bleats and soft grunts that other sounds almost drowned out.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes many times. Bucks, Does, and fawns.
View Quote

Same.

As for OP's question, the calls work. They just don't work 100% of the time. It depends on the time of the year and the disposition of the deer that hears it. I've found fawn distress calls bring in the does with the most reliability.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#6]
When a Siamese cat had its front claws dug into its neck, back claws trying to get through the chest fur.

It grunted, then shook the cat off and tried to stomp it.

Stupid cat came back for more.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I once watched an 8 point chasing a doe all around the field in front of my stand.  Full speed.  Grunting really loud, caveman style.  It was pretty damn funny.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been deer hunting 25 years.... Usually at least 30 days a year in the deer woods. I've heard deer 'blow' a lot... Way to often actually. I've heard 1 buck grunting, and a couple doe bleats but not many.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
yes.  I have heard plenty of times when the deer "blow"  a extended exhale with a wheese.  I have heart them step on twigs, grunt, snort, and bleat.  The thing I hear the most is them chewing.  Most of the time, watching the does under my treestand waiting for a buck to come along.  The does have no manners.  They eat like wild animals  The bucks however, I never let them even take a bite.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#10]
We have deer here in the yard - within 3 feet of the house sometimes.

If you are spotted by one, or more, stand stock still.  Absolutely freeze.  They'll stamp their feet and blow to get you to move a bit so they can see what you are and whether you are a threat.  Usually, though, unless you are moving toward them, they'll happily ignore you.

Ray
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Grunts, bleats and the "I'm getting the hell outta here" huffs.

And that one night my coon dogs caught a fawn.  That thing screamed like a goat getting mangled--I really thought one of our goats had gotten out of the fence again and we bumped into it in the woods.
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I've only been hunting deer for four years, and yes, I've heard bleats, grunts, wheezes and snorts.  I have not heard antlers clashing.  

I have had a deer respond to my noise making once that I am sure of.  There were two of us on stand and the other guy got busted.  The doe gave a snort and bolted away from the both of us.  I snorted back from my stand, and she circled back towards me.  

(I might have bagged her, but some doofus came walking through our stand right then.  Who the fuck goes stomping around the woods with fifteen minutes of legal light left? Yeah, he was a hunter, too.)
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 1:28:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Walked out of the house at lunchtime today and spooked a doe about 20yd away under the edge of the trees, she bounded off blowing at me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:58:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I've heard grunts and snorts. Also some god-awful noise from a lung shot deer that went down close to me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I've only been hunting deer for four years, and yes, I've heard bleats, grunts, wheezes and snorts.  I have not heard antlers clashing.  

I have had a deer respond to my noise making once that I am sure of.  There were two of us on stand and the other guy got busted.  The doe gave a snort and bolted away from the both of us.  I snorted back from my stand, and she circled back towards me.  

(I might have bagged her, but some doofus came walking through our stand right then.  Who the fuck goes stomping around the woods with fifteen minutes of legal light left? Yeah, he was a hunter, too.)
View Quote
My second year hunting, which was a few years ago, I heard two bucks going at it about 30 yards from me in the heavy brush. They went at it off and on for a good ten minutes, but never came into my clearing. By the time I decided to head their way, and found a route around the thicket, they were gone. It was impressive to hear and surprised me just how loud and violent sounding it was.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I've heard grunts, bleats, bucks snort wheezing (got that on film), bucks sparring and all kinds of neat sounds.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:56:24 AM EDT
[#17]
A few years back I heard a buck grunting, almost every exhale he took was a grunt as he trotted in.  Then I saw a doe, with him hot on her tail, grunting non-stop the whole way.  Damn near ran 10 yards by me as I stood there watching them.  I'm guessing she got bred before I finished my apple.

Also the usual huff/wheeze when they bust you.

I've heard that they will sometimes sound like they are sneezing when they are really clearing their nostrils out to smell better if they think they smell something no-bueno.  I don't know if it's true or not but last year I had a doe spook to my blind and stop directly behind me.  Then I heard a few loud sneezes(or at least they sounded like sneezes).

She proceeded to walk around my blind stomping every few steps.  Came around the front looking directly at the blind the whole time.  Could never more or raise my bow till after she had bounded off.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#18]
A doe making a loud blow will make you jump--especially in the dead quiet, at ten yards, with your ears forward listening intently.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes , many times.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, they are very vocal, unfortunately I hear them snorting the most!
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I need to learn how to post a link
View Quote

[youtube]http://youtu.be/JzwbOZKfrUQ[/youtube]

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone else getting the itch for deer season? Seven weeks to go until the bow hunting opener here in Wisconsin! So far I'm just seeing does and fawns around my 10 acre property where I live (and occasionally hunt). I really need to get into the woods on the public land where I manly hunt to scout, but its been damn hot and muggy these past few weeks and the mosquitoes are just killer this year due to all the rain and standing water.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone else getting the itch for deer season? Seven weeks to go until the bow hunting opener here in Wisconsin! So far I'm just seeing does and fawns around my 10 acre property where I live (and occasionally hunt). I really need to get into the woods on the public land where I manly hunt to scout, but its been damn hot and muggy these past few weeks and the mosquitoes are just killer this year due to all the rain and standing water.
View Quote

Itching real bad...may go scout next weekend
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I need to learn how to post a link

http://youtu.be/JzwbOZKfrUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzwbOZKfrUQ&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#25]
I had a "pet" whitetail buck for several years that I raised from a fawn.  He was quite vocal.  He also thought he was sheep.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:45:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh yea. The last buck I got, I heard him coming in grunting all the way. Sounded just like my call, but I was not using it.   I also have had deer snort at me, sometimes before I seen them!  They will snort, hiss, and yelp on occasion. Had a deer once shot in the ass and it was screeching through the woods. easy target for someone!
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#27]
The worst is that old big eared doe that spots you and snorts. Hang it up boys, time to make a sandwich.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Yes, I've heard Whitetail Vocalizations many times... the thing I learned though is that they usually aren't loud.  They are usually the same volume of the birds, squirrels, etc. that you hear around you constantly when hunting.  Its entirely possible that you've heard them, and not realized that's what it was.  It's so subtle sometimes that you wonder how other deer nearby could hear it, but they do... it's like they're hearing is wired to tune into those specific sounds.  Also, that "barking" that some of you keep mentioning, is not a vocalization at all.  That's the one sound that a deer makes that is extremely loud.  It's called "blowing," and they do it by forcing air through their nostrils in a very hard manner, creating that sound.  It usually means they busted you (or some other nearby threat), most likely by smell, and they are alerting all other deer in the area to stay away.  If this happens to you often, you need to pay more attention to your Human Scent Elimination system (I use the Evade Scent Elimination System by Doc's Deer Scents), and to hunting the right wind conditions.  If you're lucky enough to have multiple stands set up, you can easily adjust to the wind conditions.  I've learned that it's often better to take a day off hunting than to go into an area when the wind is blowing in the complete wrong direction for that spot.  When I started paying attention to the wind patterns in relation to my tree-stands, I started at least having encounters with deer more than 90% of the time I hunt.  For example, if your stand is set up facing a bedding area that's to the North of you, ideally you'd want to hunt that stand when the wind is coming out of the N, NE, NW, WNW, ENE or some combination of that... you don't want to be in that stand with any S, SE, SW, WSW, ESE or combination of wind (if you can help it), as your scent would be blowing directly into the bedding are, and they're on to you before they even get up to feed for the night.  FYI, check out www.docsdeerscents.com for their full Scent Line.  

** if you want to hear how subtle a Whitetail vocalization can be, Google "deer sounds" or "deer vocalizations."  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top