Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2015 9:10:13 PM EDT
Being from Indiana this is looking to be my first season to be able to hunt deer with a .308.  The gun is a Remington 700 Tactical with a 20" heavy barrel (1-10 twist).  I have shot some 180gr Fusions, and I have some 175 FGMM for it, both of which are shooting very well.  I know velocity is going to be somewhat of an issue out of a 20" barrel, so I'm wondering what bullets you all have had luck with.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have used Fusions and they work, I also have used 180gr Nosler Accubonds, Hornady 150gr, 165gr and 180gr SST's.  I use the 150gr SST's now because that is what my 16" .308 shots most accurately.  The biggest buck I have killed with the 150gr SST was 225 pounds and a shoulder shot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Any 150-180 grain softpoint will do. I like 150 SSTs from Hornady but regular softpoints work great too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#3]
This is pretty much what I was thinking, but being a newb to deer hunting with a rifle it's good to get some opinions of guys with experience.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I always liked 150gr  Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Federal had/has a factory loading.

Never tried the newer Fusion loading in 308 but Fusion is good in .223 so I'd agree that a 308 loading would be great.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#5]
any 150-180 load.

I have found that several .308's I have prefer 180 gr loads.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#6]
180's are what I'd use out of a 308 on moose.  They'll certainly work, but they aren't 'needed'.

In all honesty, use whatever is most accurate.  The 308 has sufficient power relative to whitetails that nearly any 150,165 or 180 will do nicely.  Shoot several, and use the most accurate.

I've used a 20" .308 model Seven for about 20 years.  It works well.  My go to load is a 165 Ballistic tip at modest speeds.  its a fragile bullet, but opens well without over doing it at the impact speeds I get.  I've used 150 hornady soft points, and it kills well, but not quite as fast as the BTs.

You do NOT need premium bullets in the 308, especially out of the 20" barrel.  Any soft point will do very nicely.  

I would specifically AVOID barnes TSX or  TTSX bullets for this application, as well as trophy Copper and the like.  These are fantastic bullets, meant to really operate at higher speeds.  I'd absolutely use them in a 300 mag.  Used in a 20" 308,  especially at longer ranges, and impact speeds will be on the lower end of acceptable.  You'd get more reliable expansion and performance with a non-premium bullet.

I'd never use ballistic tips at high speeds on deer.  They are too light.  However, when you take 308 velocities, and ramp them back for the shorter barrel, our short 308's act a bit more like .300 savages, and the impact speeds I'm seeing at 100-150 yards seem to be dead on the sweet spot for 165 ballistic tips.  You won't see big gaping exits.   You will see bang-flop dead-right-there performance, and post mortems will show a melon sized volume of minced and shredded organs centered right about 8 inches deep, or dead center in the vitals on a broadsided or quartering on whitetail.  Wound tracks then shrink to a small exit.  Internal performance is... spectacular..

If you don't handload, Federal's 150 Ballistic Tip or Hornady SST or Amax loads would be great.  But in truth, regular old vanilla plain jane Win Powerpoints, Federal Hishock, or Rem Corelokts will reliably flatten your deer at less cost.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I use the Game Kings.  Near identical trajectory at whitetail range to a Match king.  I think they are 165gr instead of 168.

I carry 700LTR.  

Next time will be a .300AAC in a lighter, shorter, rifle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2015 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
core lokt
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Trust me if you hit a deer in the vitals with ANY 150-180 Grain 308 bullet it will die.
I have reloaded and shot most of the 308 offerings available into whitetails out of my
Ruger M-77 in 30-06 and they all kill deer quickly.  For the last 5 years I have settled
on Nosler ballistic tips, 150 Grains but also shoot the 168's.  Usually deer flop over when
hit - quite spectacularly in fact...DRT as it were.

Find which load shoots best in YOUR gun and gives YOU the most confidence.  The only
other projectile I have seen whack a deer so hard is a 12 Ga slug at 50 feet....
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Being from Indiana this is looking to be my first season to be able to hunt deer with a .308.  The gun is a Remington 700 Tactical with a 20" heavy barrel (1-10 twist).  I have shot some 180gr Fusions, and I have some 175 FGMM for it, both of which are shooting very well.  I know velocity is going to be somewhat of an issue out of a 20" barrel, so I'm wondering what bullets you all have had luck with.
View Quote

I can't imagine there's a deer in the country that could take 180gr Fusion out of a 20" barrel into the vitals and survive.  .308 is plenty of cartridge for deer.  I think if you head down in caliber and/or velocity, say a .223 or .300 Blackout, bullet construction and velocity at range become much greater considerations.  I hunt with a .30-.30, and I'm very confident that any 170 gr soft tip will do the job at the ranges I hunt.  If my state allowed .223 for deer I'd probably hunt with that as well, but I'd be much more picky about bullet selection.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I use Hornady Superformance.

But it doesn't matter a great deal. Whitetails are not hard to kill. Any .308 round that you put through both lungs is going to do the job pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always liked 150gr  Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Federal had/has a factory loading.

Never tried the newer Fusion loading in 308 but Fusion is good in .223 so I'd agree that a 308 loading would be great.
View Quote

Been using these for years:  You can buy the Federal Premium Nosler Ballistic Tips - 150 grain  

If you look at my Avatar, you'll see that I liked them so much, I starting loading my own!
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The gun is a Remington 700 Tactical with a 20" heavy barrel (1-10 twist).
View Quote

Are you sure about the twist rate of 1-10"???
I'm pretty sure all 700 Tactical with 20" barrel and Hogue stock have 1-12" twist...unless something changed just recently.

I shoot couple different 700 in .308 but they all have 1-10" twist rate and I shoot Winchester 150gr PSP and have had great performance.  
Recent lot of Winchester white box 308 ammo have been very accurate in all my rifles and great at putting down animals with single well placed shot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#14]
In .223 I like Barnes Triple Shock 70gr - But with .308 I think I might step these 168gr Barnes .308 TTSX down to the 130gr
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#15]
My DPMS Hunter is a 20" gun.  I get 2720 fps out of the Barnes 150g tsx with great accuracy just under 1 moa.  The Fusion MSR 150g load is even faster at 2812 but was shooting about 1.25 moa.  I wouldn't sweat your 20" barrel it gets your about 95% of what a .308 can do.

Took a freezer buck with the TSX load this year at about 75yards,  complete pass through and liquefied lungs on the way.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Use whatever standard type bullet shoots well for you. I'd go with a 150 or 165. You don't need or want premium bullets. These aren't elk, you can end up punching a little hole through them. GameKings flew better than SST's in MY 30-06 - YMMV. Hopefully you will get a chance to use it this fall - I think you will.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been using 150 grain Barnes TSX for a few years. They work well and will penetrate while expanding from any angle. I like that feature.

If I expected longer range shots like 300-400 yards plus, I'd likely go with a lighter constructed, higher BC, 165 plus grain bullet to ensure expansion and better downrange accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:17:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I have found that Winchester 180gr Power Softpoints are very close in ballistics and impact to the Silver State Armory 175gr BTHP match ammo that I shoot in my long range set-up.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like we have the same rifle.  Mine loves Hornady 150 gr SST's.  So far they've been effective from 25 yds out to 225 yds.  They usually drop them within 4-5 steps if that far.  I had a big bodied 6 point, for these parts, go 40 yards a few years ago but there was so much blood that tracking was easy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Having just started reloading and seeing excellent sub 1/2" groups with the Hornady 178 A-MAX out of my 20" 1:10, I will be banking on this bullet come next deer season.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
core lokt
View Quote
That's what my dad and I both use.  He's got a 308, I a 30-06.  Oddly enough, this year I ran out of 180 grain Core Lokt (I went through 2 boxes sighting in my scope before I realized the scope was bad ), and then I couldn't find any more 180 grain Core Lokt, so I wound up using some Federal soft point stuff.

My dad has dropped many deer with Kore Lokt, as had my grandfather with the 30-06 that he passed to me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Back when I had my M1A I used 168gr Sierra Match Kings.  Phenomenal accuracy and even though they are not a hunting bullet I have yet to lose a deer that's been hit with one.  And I have killed many deer with a SMK.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#23]
KC 45,

Yep, you're right.  The AAC with the threaded barrel is the only one that comes with a 1:10" twist.  I completely missed that one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#24]
308 Winchester will get it done on whitetail deer. I have seen them drop like a rock at couple hundred yards with good shot placement. That is key shot placement. Got to hit them in the vitals.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Back when I had my M1A I used 168gr Sierra Match Kings.  Phenomenal accuracy and even though they are not a hunting bullet I have yet to lose a deer that's been hit with one.  And I have killed many deer with a SMK.
View Quote

I used to shoot 168gr SMK out of my 308 instead of loading up separate hunting ammo, and wouldn't recommend it.  I shot 8 deer with the SMK, or Hornady equivalent 168gr HPBT.   Although I never lost one, and would consider them all clean kills, I noticed some definitely went further and left less of a blood trail than shot with an appropriate designed hunting bullet.  

For whitetails with a 308 stick to the 150 gr bullets, unless something heavier shoots significantly more accurately out of your gun.  With the big 180gr bullets, you are sacrificing on two fronts.  First your velocity is significantly reduced, this makes knowing your range, and corresponding drop more important.  Second, the heavy bullets are typically designed for bigger cartridges and bigger game to penetrate deeper.  With the slower velocity, they won't expand as much as a lighter bullet as they pass through.  With proper shot placement, it will put the deer down with a hole in each side of it, but a lighter bullet will give you better energy transfer and more damage to internal organs.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I used to shoot 168gr SMK out of my 308 instead of loading up separate hunting ammo, and wouldn't recommend it.  I shot 8 deer with the SMK, or Hornady equivalent 168gr HPBT.   Although I never lost one, and would consider them all clean kills, I noticed some definitely went further and left less of a blood trail than shot with an appropriate designed hunting bullet.  

For whitetails with a 308 stick to the 150 gr bullets, unless something heavier shoots significantly more accurately out of your gun.  With the big 180gr bullets, you are sacrificing on two fronts.  First your velocity is significantly reduced, this makes knowing your range, and corresponding drop more important.  Second, the heavy bullets are typically designed for bigger cartridges and bigger game to penetrate deeper.  With the slower velocity, they won't expand as much as a lighter bullet as they pass through.  With proper shot placement, it will put the deer down with a hole in each side of it, but a lighter bullet will give you better energy transfer and more damage to internal organs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am testing the Berger 168gr  VLD hunting bullet in my .300 Win Mag and that might replace the SMK for hunting.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
KC 45,

Yep, you're right.  The AAC with the threaded barrel is the only one that comes with a 1:10" twist.  I completely missed that one.
View Quote

The list I have shows that the 700 SPS Tactical (84203) comes with a threaded 1x10 20" HVY barrel & Hogue stock like the 700 SPS AAC-SD (85542). On bullet selection, both the 165 HPBT Sierra GameKing (SGK) & 165GR. Nosler BT were very accurate & performed very well on whitetail. The 165GR. SGK HPBT (bullet 2140)  is nice because the tip does not get deformed from recoil while in the magazine. Let your barrel decide for you.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

2140 sierra here. It's the same configuration as the match king, but a hunting bullet. Works very well in the accuracy dept and will get the job done on deer, BUT they are not locked or fused...they will separate. Really don't matter on deer, I would however think twice about thick skinned game.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Being from Indiana this is looking to be my first season to be able to hunt deer with a .308.
View Quote

I thought the same thing.  Even bought a new Savage Model 10 last winter.

Fast forward to the 2015 deer season and it's looking like our .308's will stay home.  Too much opposition to the rule change allowing high powered rifles in Indiana.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 12:18:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

2140 sierra here. It's the same configuration as the match king, but a hunting bullet. Works very well in the accuracy dept and will get the job done on deer, BUT they are not locked or fused...they will separate. Really don't matter on deer, I would however think twice about thick skinned game.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they make that in a 175?
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't think so...however the difference is only 7 grains and I would guess there would be no noticeable change in trajectory.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good advice.  The 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip is very effective on thin skinned whitetails.  Pole axes them.  If you need penetration and a blood trail go to 150 Barnes TSX, but break the shoulder purposefully to put them down.  Those bullets will still exit, while the Ballistic Tips often do not, relying on shock and massive tissue disruption.  

Heavier bullets are not warranted, are slower, have less velocity, don't shoot as flat at hunting distances and do not expand as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I have shot lots of whitetails with the Fusion 150 and 165's.  I prefer the 165s as they seem to have better penetration.  That said, any soft point will work.  Instead of buying the overpriced Barnes stuff buy more soft point ammo and perfect your shooting.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Yo, dont get to involved in bullet choices. There are a whole lot of fancy do'dads out on the market. Some work well, some work very well. Remember all work. Ive been hunting and reloading with a 308win for years. One of the cheapest and most abundant rounds you can load for. Can also be a very expensive round when you stretching the range out.

Any Soft point bullet will do fine. Cheapest round that shoots a decent goup. <2 inch groups at 100. Dont expect them to touch, but if they do all the better. I like staying around or under 150gr bullet. Over weight bullet passes through to fast with out good expansion. Rapid expanding bullets work well on deer. SST, TTX etc etc.

Ive got tons of 165gr SP, to hard to find deer with those. I live in the South East, most shots range less than 75 yards. I dont get good blood trail with heavier bullets. Going to stick with the 150gr SP, and the 150gr SST which is awesome and cost same as a Soft Point. about $0.25 per head. retail.

Good luck dont over think it, the 308win is plenty capable of taking any game in North America. My Opinion, 165-180+ gr for big animals or long distance medium game, 125-150 gr for medium, 110-125 gr for varmints.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I've reloaded Hornady 150gr BTSP in all of my 30 caliber rifles (.308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag) in the last 20 years with great results. Mostly hunting deer and antelope. For the 1 Elk tag that I drew I reloaded Hornady's 180gr BTSP, which worked great.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't use to tough a bullet.  In a 308 any soft point from 150 to 180 grains is fine.  I have shot one from stem to stern with a 150 grain corelokt and it still had complete penetration.  ONly thing you have to worry is using to tough a bullet that doesn't open on a shot with little resistance.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:05:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Don't use to tough a bullet.  In a 308 any soft point from 150 to 180 grains is fine.  I have shot one from stem to stern with a 150 grain corelokt and it still had complete penetration.  ONly thing you have to worry is using to tough a bullet that doesn't open on a shot with little resistance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It went down so the only 308 option is still only in a handgun.

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I use the Game Kings.  Near identical trajectory at whitetail range to a Match king.  I think they are 165gr instead of 168.

I carry 700LTR.  

Next time will be a .300AAC in a lighter, shorter, rifle.
View Quote

I have the same rifle, love it.

Deer are very easy to kill, any 150 grain hunting bullet with do the job. I shoot 165 soft points as they shoot almost identical,ballistics to 168 grain match loads.

Funny you mention the blackout, I recently got into 300 BLK and don't see any reason that it would be a great deer round.

Link Posted: 7/12/2015 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#39]
for .308 I've killed many deer with 165 grain soft points, and all of them have dropped within 20 yards.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#40]
LOTS of good option out there these days.

I am very biased toward Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets.  I have had great accuracy with both.  They are VERY nasty bullets to whatever they hit.  They will open up, they will penetrate, and they will retain their weight.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#41]
With .308 on deer, put anything soft or semi-soft in the right place and you're gtg.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Core-Lokt 150 gr...
Inexpensive by comparison and completely reliable and effective.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#43]
I'll be hunting with my new Savage Axis .308 this year.With 165-168 grain ammo.Either federal Fusion/Deer Thugs or Winchesters 168 grain Supremes. They both shoot good out of gun at range.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:38:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Barnes 150g tsx has done everything I have asked of it, even out to 200+ yards.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 10:28:02 AM EDT
[#45]
I've been using the .308 for decades.  Dropped them from 25 to 300 yds with 150gr and 165 gr bullets.  Put them in the boiler room and they are DRT.

CD
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I use Federal Sierra Matchking BTHP in 168 grain.  It has not failed me, and shoots extremely well in a 700 LTR with a 20" barrel.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Core-Lokt 150 gr...
Inexpensive by comparison and completely reliable and effective.
View Quote

That is what I am using as well in my 700 SPS tactical with the 20 inch heavy barrel.  The deer go about 3 feet, straight down
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:10:16 AM EDT
[#48]
I love the 150gr Core-lokt remingtons out of a 308 on whitetail.

Cheap, accurate(out of my gun...), and do the trick every time.

I shoot the same out of my -06 and my Ruger M77 loves these rounds....numerous 3 and 5 shot groups all touching at 100 yards.  I've loaded and killed deer with some expensive bullets...TTSX, Accubond, Ballistic Tip, SST, on and on...150's, 165's, 168's, 180's....and honestly, I never saw much difference between kills...

I've had them drop on the spot with both cheap and expensive....i've also had them run 100 yards with no lungs with both cheap and expensive rounds...
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 1:28:20 AM EDT
[#49]
corelokt 150 grain. They shoot 1 inch at 100 yards with my 1x4 scope on a savage hog hunter.

Last year I shot my first deer on my first hunt on opening day and he was DRT. No kicking flopping nothing went down and died instantly.

I have almost 1000 rounds sitting, I won't ever need deer ammo again!
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
180's are what I'd use out of a 308 on moose.  They'll certainly work, but they aren't 'needed'.

In all honesty, use whatever is most accurate.  The 308 has sufficient power relative to whitetails that nearly any 150,165 or 180 will do nicely.  Shoot several, and use the most accurate.

I've used a 20" .308 model Seven for about 20 years.  It works well.  My go to load is a 165 Ballistic tip at modest speeds.  its a fragile bullet, but opens well without over doing it at the impact speeds I get.  I've used 150 hornady soft points, and it kills well, but not quite as fast as the BTs.

You do NOT need premium bullets in the 308, especially out of the 20" barrel.  Any soft point will do very nicely.  

I would specifically AVOID barnes TSX or  TTSX bullets for this application, as well as trophy Copper and the like.  These are fantastic bullets, meant to really operate at higher speeds.  I'd absolutely use them in a 300 mag.  Used in a 20" 308,  especially at longer ranges, and impact speeds will be on the lower end of acceptable.  You'd get more reliable expansion and performance with a non-premium bullet.

I'd never use ballistic tips at high speeds on deer.  They are too light.  However, when you take 308 velocities, and ramp them back for the shorter barrel, our short 308's act a bit more like .300 savages, and the impact speeds I'm seeing at 100-150 yards seem to be dead on the sweet spot for 165 ballistic tips.  You won't see big gaping exits.   You will see bang-flop dead-right-there performance, and post mortems will show a melon sized volume of minced and shredded organs centered right about 8 inches deep, or dead center in the vitals on a broadsided or quartering on whitetail.  Wound tracks then shrink to a small exit.  Internal performance is... spectacular..

If you don't handload, Federal's 150 Ballistic Tip or Hornady SST or Amax loads would be great.  But in truth, regular old vanilla plain jane Win Powerpoints, Federal Hishock, or Rem Corelokts will reliably flatten your deer at less cost.
View Quote

150gr Win Silvertip Ballistics is my go to factory load for .308,fast clean kills 100% of the time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top