User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a Ruger Deerfield for deer every once in a while.
View Quote

I really wish Ruger would bring those back.  A handy little semi-auto carbine in .44 mag would make an awesome short range deer rifle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
44 mag lever gun.  Easy to reload, cheap to shoot.  Good power at your ranges.
View Quote

Winner.
We live in a pretty populated area, I'd have no worries with my 16" Marlin 1894 carbine 44mag.
In typical ARFCOM fashion, I bought it used for $200 and had $700 worth of work done to it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I really wish Ruger would bring those back.  A handy little semi-auto carbine in .44 mag would make an awesome short range deer rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use a Ruger Deerfield for deer every once in a while.

Yeah, but with a nice 30 round banana clip.

Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#4]
444 Marlin...
in your choice of gun. my winchester big bore with a tritium XS bead is my go to woods gun.

it will flat assed put them down.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
.243 Rem 700
30-30 Win 94 or Marlin 336

.35 Marlin 336

45-70 guide gun

44 mag Marlin

.223 AR.

7mm-08

30-06

Consider the NEF Handi rifles, barrels are fairy cheap, multiple caliber options for little $.

I know single shots are not for everyone, but I think they are fun.

Have or have had all the above, and would not second guess any of them.

I will say with .223 and .243, proper bullet selection is important.

Some will allow double duty for ground hogs, skunks, coyotes, deer, etc..... Some will allow bigger game options.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 5:25:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
444 Marlin...
in your choice of gun. my winchester big bore with a tritium XS bead is my go to woods gun.

it will flat assed put them down.
View Quote

I had one and sold it during hard times.    I can vouch for it flat knocking 'em out.  Regular old Remington soft point was great ammo.  I once took two does out of a group of five with it.  Put the queen bitch down and the rest didn't quite know what to do and just kind of ran around like chickens with their heads cut off until the second one went down.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 6:59:40 AM EDT
[#7]

The next gun I hunt deer with will be my new Browning BLR in .358 Win.

Very strong, magazine-fed takedown lever gun in a seriously under-appreciated cartridge.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/358Win_mystery.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_BLR_358.htm

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Winner.

We live in a pretty populated area, I'd have no worries with my 16" Marlin 1894 carbine 44mag.

In typical ARFCOM fashion, I bought it used for $200 and had $700 worth of work done to it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

44 mag lever gun.  Easy to reload, cheap to shoot.  Good power at your ranges.

Winner.

I'd have no problem using any of them. If it is safe enough for that then use whatever you like - it won't matter.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:29:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
AR in 5.56 16" is what I use and recommend.
View Quote

Of what you listed I would go 336. Use the hornady 160 grain leverution. Cabellas sells a decent scope thats ballistically matched to that round- 3-9x. This is the outfit I use. It turned my 336 from a 100 yard gun to a 300 yard gun. If you are swamp hunting bear/hogs either dial it down to 3x or remove the scope and go iron sights.
Link Posted: 2/4/2015 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#10]
A lighter 20-22" barreled .308 will be the most versatile of your choices, with maybe a 2-7 or 2.5-8x scope. If you really want a slower moving slug, load some 180 grain round nose (They are a popular choice up in the NW WI woods), or even some light loaded 170 grain 30-30 type flat nosed bullets.

I'd just load some 150's or 165/175 higher B/C pills and be better prepared for a longer shot that just might present itself. Especially since you mention a possible TX hog hunt is possible. They might be 15 yards or 300 yards.I like the 150 grain Barnes TSX to increase speed, plus assured penetration on tougher critters like hogs, but there are tons of great bullets/cartridges out there.

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Take a look at the Savage Hog Hunter 308. A lot of rifle for the money.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#12]
After reading all this talk of lever guns, I think I'll have to grab the 30/30 out of the safe and take it to the stand this afternoon. It has been quite a while since I have packed it to the stand.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I still like my 742 Woodsmaster Carbine in 30-06, for hunting thickets. I know, they we're notorious for jamming up, but I love mine! I haven't had any problems out of mine. It was a freebie, anyway.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I still like my 742 Woodsmaster Carbine in 30-06, for hunting thickets. I know, they we're notorious for jamming up, but I love mine! I haven't had any problems out of mine. It was a freebie, anyway.
View Quote

My uncle hunts with a 7400, I got my dad a 742 several years ago and threw an Eotech on it as a drive gun.  It's killed dozens of deer and hogs, jammed once on a hog early on before I stripped it down and polished the chamber.
Here it is with it's latest kill in the hands of my sis's father in law.

Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#15]
The Remington 742 while known to have some issues has killed 100+ deer between my Grandfather (he has 2) and Dad these past x number of years.  They bought theirs new and only had a broken firing pin in one...no other issues.

A friend of mine has one and it has issues...primarily stuck cases in the chamber (possible extractor issues I'm thinking).

I'd be hesitant to buy a used one if I didn't know and trust the owner that it didn't have issues.

Hoping one day I inherit one of the 2 my Grandfather has to keep it alive in the woods.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 3:47:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Remington 742 while known to have some issues has killed 100+ deer between my Grandfather (he has 2) and Dad these past x number of years.  They bought theirs new and only had a broken firing pin in one...no other issues.

A friend of mine has one and it has issues...primarily stuck cases in the chamber (possible extractor issues I'm thinking).

I'd be hesitant to buy a used one if I didn't know and trust the owner that it didn't have issues.

Hoping one day I inherit one of the 2 my Grandfather has to keep it alive in the woods.
View Quote

Ours had a fairly rough chamber, it would not even extract the case when it stuck and had to be driven out, factory Rem CorLokt.
A little chamber polish and it's been good ever since.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:30:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice trophy sapling! Lol!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#18]
There's a gun smith up in Michigan I believe, who works on 742's. He can do a conversion on a 742, and make it a 762 pump. He had a write up on his web page that said the reason 742's had problems extracting, was because when people cleaned them, they would just clean the barrel, and not the chamber. The chamber would have surface rust in it. When fired, and the case expanded the surface rust in the chamber wouldn't let the spent case eject. He said to make sure the chamber was good, and clean. Mine has only failed to eject a couple of times, and it was always when I was shooting Remington Core Loct ammo. I've never had an issue with Federal ammo. I'll be doing a good, thorough, cleaning on my 742
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There's a gun smith up in Michigan I believe, who works on 742's. He can do a conversion on a 742, and make it a 762 pump. He had a write up on his web page that said the reason 742's had problems extracting, was because when people cleaned them, they would just clean the barrel, and not the chamber. The chamber would have surface rust in it. When fired, and the case expanded the surface rust in the chamber wouldn't let the spent case eject. He said to make sure the chamber was good, and clean. Mine has only failed to eject a couple of times, and it was always when I was shooting Remington Core Loct ammo. I've never had an issue with Federal ammo. I'll be doing a good, thorough, cleaning on my 742
View Quote

Yeah, it's not like a bolt gun where you can just shove a chamber swab up in there from the rear.
I slide the rod down the barrel, then thread the swab on and pull it back into the chamber and spin it a couple times.

When it was fairly new, I just pulled the barrel and polished it from the rear.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, it's not like a bolt gun where you can just shove a chamber swab up in there from the rear.
I slide the rod down the barrel, then thread the swab on and pull it back into the chamber and spin it a couple times.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought my Remington 7400 in 30/06 back in the early 80's at Service Merchandise.  It came with an offset wire chamber brush that I use religiously when cleaning the rifle.  Never ever had an extraction issue.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I bought my Remington 7400 in 30/06 back in the early 80's at Service Merchandise.  It came with an offset wire chamber brush that I use religiously when cleaning the rifle.  Never ever had an extraction issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought ours new back around 06, i didn't come with anything but a mag
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ours had a fairly rough chamber, it would not even extract the case when it stuck and had to be driven out, factory Rem CorLokt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the chambers are the problem spot. I was told by a Gunsmith to scrub the hell out of the chamber after every hunting season.

my 742 as been dead nuts reliable on hundreds of whitetails and vermin, with the exception of 1 time. it was a corroded chamber.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I live in the Michigan Shotgun Zone. I think someone already mentioned it, but, you can now hunt in the shotgun zone with a centerfire rifle so long as the round is .35 or larger, case length between 1.2 and 1.8", and straight walled. A .44 lever gun will do the job and do it well, but think bigger and get a .450 Bushmaster or a .50 Beowulf. I just finished a .50 Beowulf that will replace my slug gun next year, possibly retire it. This should be the perfect deer gun inside of 150 yards. It will also wreak havoc on hogs should you get to go on that trip.

If you already live in the Rifle Zone, check out the .458 socom too, especially if you plan to roll your own ammo. Bullet selection is supposed to be outstanding.  Many say it is the superior big bore, but it wouldn't have served my purpose. I can't use necked down cartridges where I'm at and I don't reload.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I am in the same situation as you. Live in WI where I can hunt rifle, but the longest shot I can make is ~100yds. I also hunt downstate MI in the restricted zone.

Working on a .450 Bushmaster AR-15 for next year. I will use it in both states. It is also an excellent round for hogs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#25]
A good short range rifle would be the Winchester 94 in 30/30.  Its light and easy to maneuver, the iron sights are quick to get a bead on (for short range they're probably better than a scope) and Hornady makes some Lever Revolution ammo that has higher velocity and more power.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#26]
As others have stated, a good 44 mag is an excellent choice for short range woods hunting. The round is a real sweetheart when fired from a carbine, low noise and recoil. I'm very thankful to have a Ruger Deerfield to hunt hogs and deer in the Southeast. What a handy little carbine it is. Since it is no longer available, I'd suggest the following to the OP:

Ruger 77/44
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top