Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2015 3:27:39 PM EDT
So I'm in need of some opinions.

For the past 10ish years I've been hunting with a Mossberg 500 12g with a 24" cantilever slug barrel.  Shooting 2 3/4 Remington Reduced Recoil Copper Solids.  Average shot distance is around 50 yards, with the max being a lil over 75 yards (limits of what I can see here in some thick Michigan woods) and as short as about 5 yards.  This is all done in a very small wooden ground blind (not over bait at least okay guys )

Anyways I'm seriously considering picking up a rifle for next years deer season as I really want to be able to roll my own hunting ammo mainly just cause and a shotgun doesn't really work there.  Will still keep Mossberg for the lower shot gun only part of the state (as I might have a lead on some private property to hunt on).

Things I'm considering :

16" 300 Blackout Upper shooting super sonic (Barnes 110gr TSX Black Tips) - Have spare complete lower on hand

308 Bolt Gun (Savage Axix II XP, Ruger American or used Remington 700)

Marlin 336

Not sure really what makes sense but I'm open to suggestions.

There is a chance in a little less than 2 years of a southern hog hunting trip as well (but I'll very likely have another gun by then but just in case suitable for hogs as well).

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
AR in 5.56 16" is what I use and recommend.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Any of the rifles you mention will work fine.  Honestly, at the ranges you are talking about, pretty much any rifle will work.  Since the real reason you are looking into a rifle is a pathway to reloading, I'd consider what round you want to reload and go from there.  I hunt almost the same slug gun rig as you do (except my Mossberg likes 2-3/4" Hornady SST Lites), and it works well but is very expensive to feed.  I picked up a gently used Marlin 336 so now I'm going to start rounding up components to reload .30-30.  At least 75% of my hunting is still with the slug gun due to county/state regs, but it's nice to have another option.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If your state allows it, I'd consider this.  Quality .223 hunting round should be plenty to take down a deer at 75 yards or less.  The only reason I didn't end up hunting with a 5.56 AR is VA state law requires a centerfire deer round to be at least .230 cal
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the 336.  Easy to buy ammo in bulk, and it's one of those 'thuddy thuddy' deer rifles that will never be banned.  (lever action, tube fed, less than 10 round magazine, etc.)

Keep in mind, when the 30-30 was first developed, gun writers of the time decried its lethality and proclaimed that it would decimate deer populations by being too powerful, too flat-shooting, and too accurate.  It was 'unsportsmanlike' to use the cartridge on deer.

It's underestimated these days and ideal for what you are describing.

Lots of ammo choices for the gun, even sabots.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If your state allows it, I'd consider this.  Quality .223 hunting round should be plenty to take down a deer at 75 yards or less.  The only reason I didn't end up hunting with a 5.56 AR is VA state law requires a centerfire deer round to be at least .230 cal
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5.56 will kill them, but, if he is hunting small properties, the ability to blood trail from an exit wound, along with the increased lethality of an exit wound, would push me toward a 30 cal bullet.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
A budget, used, 30-30 will do all that you want unless you really just want something more 'special' or with frills.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 3:54:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
5.56 will kill them, but, if he is hunting small properties, the ability to blood trail from an exit wound, along with the increased lethality of an exit wound, would push me toward a 30 cal bullet.TRG
View Quote

I have thought about using my regular AR with some 62gr Barnes TSX's but that is what I'm worried about.  I hunt kinda in the back corner of the persons property about 100 yards to my right and back directions is the property line.

I never worried about it with the shotgun cause if they made it more than 10 feet after being shot I didn't do my job, usually they didn't take another step.  While the slug gun is impressive at these ranges it's expensive to feed.  I'd like to become more comfortable with my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#8]
If your an ar guy, like to roll your own and want a "Brush gun". look no further than the 458 socom.   It will drop those large Michigan deer in their tracks and will have little to no deflection off of the brush (minus actual branches or tree trunks obviously.)  I love the socom for thick woods hunting!  Its more than capable of going to 200 if you really need it and know your drops!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
marlin 336 in 30-30
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#10]
The "fat-bullets-don't-get-deflected" myth needs to die.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have thought about using my regular AR with some 62gr Barnes TSX's but that is what I'm worried about.  I hunt kinda in the back corner of the persons property about 100 yards to my right and back directions is the property line.

I never worried about it with the shotgun cause if they made it more than 10 feet after being shot I didn't do my job, usually they didn't take another step.  While the slug gun is impressive at these ranges it's expensive to feed.  I'd like to become more comfortable with my rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.56 will kill them, but, if he is hunting small properties, the ability to blood trail from an exit wound, along with the increased lethality of an exit wound, would push me toward a 30 cal bullet.TRG

My nephew abd I hunted together over the weekend.  We shot three deer and a hog.

Two of the deer were hit with a 180g partitions.  Clean through and through with one shattering the heart.  Both deer still ran about 40yds.

Hog had a clean through and through as well.  Excellent hit, blew gore for 8' out the exit side, still ran 30 yds.

The only deer that was taken, and had no exit, was a doe at 100yd with 147gr, solid, TCMC, 9mm.  Round was on the exit-side shoulder, just under the skin.

Luckily, we saw where she fell.  No blood trail.

The three hit with 308 ran just as far, but, we trailed them with nice blood trails.  We would have never recovered the 308 animals without the blood, they were all (both deer and the hog) at odd angles that did not match where we thought that they had run.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I also would feel comfortable with any of the rifles you listed. I love lever guns so I would go for the Marlin.
Steve
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Michigan's rules changed last year for the "Shotgun Zone". It is now called the Limited Firearms Zone.

The old shotgun rules still apply as do the handgun rules.

But you may now use a centerfire rifle with a straight wall case with a case length of 1.6 to 1.8 inches.

450 Bushmaster, 460 S&W, 45 Raptor all are good choices for a rifle.

These would give you a rifle you could use anywhere in Michigan during the firearm deer season.

The Limited Firearms Zone pertains only to the firearms deer season, you may hunt throughout the state with a centerfire rifle the rest of the year.

I don't have a Guide in front of me so correct any of my mistakes.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#14]
most of the deer I have shot in MI have been with a savage 308.  last year I took 2 with a 336 in 30-30.

30-30 worked fine (both neck shots at 35 yards or so) but the 308 did take one at 140+ yards one year.  

the 308 will always do more than the 30-30, but never less.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:43:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Marlin 336.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Besides working just dandy for short range deer the lever gun is lots of fun to shoot.

Of course to be complete you will need a red plaid jacket , calf length leather boots and a 52 Studeabaker so you can flop the deer on the fender
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:39:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

5.56 will kill them, but, if he is hunting small properties, the ability to blood trail from an exit wound, along with the increased lethality of an exit wound, would push me toward a 30 cal bullet.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

That's a good point.  Reading OP's further post about the property, I'd say it's a good idea to go with enough cartridge to guarantee complete pass through and a good blood trail.  Inside of 100 yards, OP can definitely take his choice of .30 cal cartridges for a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Both deer I killed last year with a .223 using 70r Barnes Triple Shock(hand loaded, 1:8 twist)  passed through and left lots of blood. So far this year with the .308 using barnes I've shot at 3, found 1, and only cause it ran about 20 yards because despite a pass through, I wasn't getting much blood at all. I was having just as good of luck with the .223, if not more, than the .308.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#19]
IMHO, at the ranges you are talking about a quick rifle is what I would look for. Quick to me equals short fast and large bore. I have killed 6 deer with 223 and am not overly happy with it. My AR's work great and are fantastic in scenarios where I can head shoot a deer. Lack of blood trails is an issue when using 223 bullets, including Barnes TSX's. BTDT.

For a short range quick shot gun I am all about a Winchester, Marlin lever or Ruger #1. I use a 45-70 and it is fantastic inside 100 yds. Blood trails are not an issue too be sure.

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:32:24 AM EDT
[#20]
44 mag lever gun.  Easy to reload, cheap to shoot.  Good power at your ranges.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 1:35:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

223 will do fine on deer even out to 300 yards with the right bullet, if you make a good lung or cns hit.

BUT a 308 leaves a better blood trail.   I've killed deer with 223, 243, 270, and 308; I made quick ethical kills with all of them but 223 and 243 doesn't leave as good of a blood trail.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:23:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Any of the options listed will work.

I'd go with the .308 bolt gun if hunting from a stand.

Second would be the 30-30.

Or you can get the Marlin 308MX.

The only advantage I see in going with the .300BLK is if you would prefer it for the range, or plan on getting a suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 2:33:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I've taken deer and hogs with an 8" suppressed .300 with the 110 Barnes stuff, no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#24]
An SKS will more than get the job done for $300 or less.

If you want something 'classier' as well as lighter, more compact, easy to scope, and MOA capable, get a CZ527 in 7.62x39 for $700, it will also get you out to 500 easy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSu7EuQr6o4

Myself and my family have taken more game than I can even count (hundreds) over the years with both of the above.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I second this...
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I second this...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I second this...

Yes ... a pistol round in the same size package as a rifle caliber (336).

TRG
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:21:28 PM EDT
[#28]
6.8 spc
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Unless I'm hunting fields  I use an M4 with an ACOG and hand load 77g V Max polymer tips. I've killed three out of the last four deer with it. Its the only gun I use for stalk hunting anymore.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#30]
If you want a short range deer rifle, you have a lot of alternatives. Almost all will do.  Some better than others...

.308 will give you fantastic performance, with the added benefit of being truly capable to 300 yards, even in a little carbine.  I've used a Model Seven Stainless in .308, with a leupold VariX III 1.75-6x for  little over 20 years now. Use a 150-165 grain rapid expander and deer drop dead.  hand loaded 165 Nosler Ballistic Tips flatten deer.  I've used regular soft points, and they kill well, but usually run a bit before piling in dead.

If ranges are all short, the 'antiquated' lever gun can work well.  A marlin 336 in .35 rem works wonderfully.  Those 200 gr round nosed don't work well at long ranges, but they expand hard and fast and just level deer.  Its an incredible killer at anything under 100 yards.  Two problems: Big gloved hands don't fit into lever well, and modern "REM" proofed marlins are crap.  Find a used "JM" stamped marlin and you are good to go.

The 308 covers all the bases and will adequately cover any really conceivable deer hunting east of the mississippi.  Heck, its common on moose in Canada.  Step up to a 180 grainer, and its adequate on bigger critters...  As long as you buy a shorter (20") gun, and DONT overscope it, its every bit as light and handy as granddad's 30-30.  And with better power and range.

I've got some oddball deer rifles (Marlind 336D, marlin .375 win, .350 Rem Mag).   Truth be told, the .308 does everything that needs to be done.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Thank you all for your inputs/suggestions...I'm even more conflicted now...

I'll address some :

Quoted:
View Quote

Not a half bad idea, guy's property I hunt on uses a rifle / pistol pairing in 44.  This would allow me to hunt in the restricted firearms parts of the state as well with the same gun.

In regards to all of the AR comments :

I'm still kinda hung up on wanting to use an AR platform for hunting be it 223, 300 BO, 6.8 SPC II or one of the wild cats...

I guess I'll pull the trigger in the coming months on something...till then I'll keep hemming and hawing.

Thanks Everyone
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I second this...

TRG

FYI.   The marlin 1894c is in a different/smaller frame than the 336.

Tell us what can a rifle caliber do at 50 yards that a 44mag out of a rifle cant do?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great short range deer gun. One of the best!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#34]
The AR works great at short to moderate range as well. Barnes TSX for the win!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:28:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I've hunted & taken deer both with a 6.8SPC AR & a Marlin .30-30. Love both guns. Both accurate, fun & effective. But, I gotta give the nod to the .30-30. The AR's fun, but a good lever action is sublime. Dude, I hunt in bush/jungle where 50yd shots are unheard of, most being within 15 yds or less. A light, slick levergun is damned handy in the brush. Speed of follow-up shots (if necessary) is a non-issue, as a skilled levergunner can put rounds downrange as accurately & as quickly as many with a semi-auto.

Sorry. Love my AR, but I'm a levergun & s/a revolver guy at heart.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 12:08:59 AM EDT
[#36]
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=164&category=8&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

One of the primary rifles used in SASS competition because they can take it. And SASS shooters go through more rounds a month than 99.87% of the GD basement dwellers will in a life time.

The Rossi R92 Round Barrel delivers shorter, lighter versions of their big brothers with 16 or 20 carbine models. Available in .38/.357, .44 Mag., .45 Colt, .44-40 Win and .454 Casull. The R92 Round Barrel comes in two finish options - Blue and Stainless. All R92 Round Barrel models feature crescent buttplates and an extended front sight.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Tell us what can a rifle caliber do at 50 yards that a 44mag out of a rifle cant do?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I second this...

TRG

My primary hog rifle is a 9mm with 5.5" barrel.

I also watched my nephew shoot a deer at 100yds with it this year.

However, a pistol round is not as likely as a rifle cartridge to carry enough energy for a clean exit wound.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#38]
My 44Mag levergun seems to penetrate just fine. Like anything else use the right bullet. Having said that you won't see any real difference with a 30-30, 35Rem or 44Mag at the distance you are talking about - take your choice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:15:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My 44Mag levergun seems to penetrate just fine. Like anything else use the right bullet. Having said that you won't see any real difference with a 30-30, 35Rem or 44Mag at the distance you are talking about - take your choice.
View Quote

Pairing it with a pistol is a nice idea as well.

And, even though I like the 336 option, having a carbine and pistol in 44 would not be a bad second choice.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Get a 30-30
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
However, a pistol round is not as likely as a rifle cartridge to carry enough energy for a clean exit wound.

TRG
View Quote

I'm pretty sure our hogs get bigger here....  My biggest one was over 450lbs, I wouldn't have wanted to be on the ground with that thing with just a 9mm
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Any rifle will do just fine at those ranges assuming a properly built bullet.

I think a 30-30 would be great.  .308 is overkill.

I personally take my 12ga 870 when I know I won't be taking shots over 75 yards...really, there's nothing better as far as energy dump is concerned.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
energy dump
View Quote

Is that like a full power shot from squatdog?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure our hogs get bigger here....  My biggest one was over 450lbs, I wouldn't have wanted to be on the ground with that thing with just a 9mm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Our juevos are larger out here.  

TRG
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

Doesn't matter how big they are, they'll still draw up inside you when you jump a 400+ pound boar from a gully at 10 paces.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Doesn't matter how big they are, they'll still draw up inside you when you jump a 400+ pound boar from a gully at 10 paces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

TRG

When I first started hunting hogs, almost 20 years ago, I was afraid of them.  I expected them to ambush me and gore me.  

The first time I picked up piglets from a nest, squealing, screaming and shrieking for their momma-sow, I was scared of the sow's return.

The only time I've ever been intentionally charged was by a wounded, or cornered (by dogs) hog.

I switched to 9mm to stop tearing up so much meat with a 556.

I've found that it works as well as anything else on hogs.  Just no exit wound, but, I seldom worry about recovery these days.

TRG
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
When I first started hunting hogs, almost 20 years ago, I was afraid of them.  I expected them to ambush me and gore me.  

TRG
View Quote

They're not likely to actually hurt you, but they can sure make you hurt yourself
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#48]
I use a Ruger Deerfield for deer every once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They're not likely to actually hurt you, but they can sure make you hurt yourself
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Oh, there have been a few close calls over the year.

In the deep woods, no one is around to hear you scream like a little bitch.

I'm thankful for that...

TRG
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#50]
.454 levergun.  Fires .45LC fine, if you don't need th eumph of .454
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top