Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2015 8:33:47 PM EDT
In all of my 50+ years of deer hunting I have never seen mange or wolf worms on a deer.   Tonight I really got a sick one.   Over half of its hair is gone.   Flaky skin around the neck.   A wolf worm on the right front shoulder.   Guess I’ll feed it to the worms.   Hate to waste it like this, but I ant eating it.

Wolf
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Worthless without pics. CSB
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
let me get the pictures off the camera and posted to photobucket and then hear.

Wolf
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
hear are a few pictures of the deer I took tonight.

Wolf
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Nasty
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice size deer and all, but.   With the Wolf Worms and then the mange, I just don’t want to take the chance.   I hate to waste the meat like that though.   Its feeding the worms out back.

Wolf
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for sharing OP.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I probably wouldn't eat it because of the mange, but probably 50% of deer killed have a bunch of those worms in their nasal cavity. Especially deer from warmer climates.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:33:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen the worms in early season bow kills. Never seen them this late into the winter and have never seen the mange on one. I damn sure wouldn't eat it. The worms are a deal breaker for me. The mange, the hell with that.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Never heard of wolf worms before so I had to google them. They look pretty nasty. Around here if the deer doesnt look healthy to eat the local DNR will take them and reissue a tag to go shoot another one. Only thing we have to worry about in Wisconsin is Chronic Wasting Disease and that hasnt been proven to be transferable to humans yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top