Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]

1956, my grandpa..
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

From what I read, the actual percentage of the population that hunts has taken a huge decline.  Might explain why the success rate is up, by percentage.  Only the more serious and dedicated remain in the field.

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the day guys dressed head to toe in red/black plaid - while standing on the ground - managed to kill a shitload of deer without pouring piss on themselves.  And they dragged those dead deer out of the woods without the aid of a camo 4 x 4 golf cart.  Fucking miraculous.

This man gets it.

That's sig line material right there

Sure they killed deer.  So did the indians with hand built bows(as I alluded to in my first post).  Why don't you hunt naked with hand made bows?

If you look at the kill percentages for most states(that I have looked at), the success rate of hunters really jumped up about the late 80's to early 90's.  WI success rate was around 7-12% till the late 80's when it started to steadily climb and has held steady at around 30-40% success for the last 10 years or so.

So by the looks of it, technology is helping hunters be more successful.

From what I read, the actual percentage of the population that hunts has taken a huge decline.  Might explain why the success rate is up, by percentage.  Only the more serious and dedicated remain in the field.

TRG

The percentage of the population that hunts has nothing to do with it.  The number of hunters in the field is about the same(in wisconsin) since about 1972 at about 650k licensed hunters.  At least half of hunters are idiots...sorry to say.  Around the mid 90's the success rate went from typically 30-40% success rate to around 50-60% success rate and has stayed there.  Reaching a high of 76% in 2000.  These are gun hunting numbers from the DNR of WI.

Bow hunting numbers before 1990 were at or below 22%  Always below 20% before 1986.  Mid 90's shows the success rate jumps into the 30% range and has for the most part held steady in that range.  After about 2002 it hasn't dropped below 33% with a high of 45%.

This could all be attributed to a number of variables, but I'm guessing technology and the spread of information(internet) has a lot to do with it.  Deer numbers haven't jumped that much(if at all).
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The percentage of the population that hunts has nothing to do with it.  The number of hunters in the field is about the same(in wisconsin) since about 1972 at about 650k licensed hunters.  At least half of hunters are idiots...sorry to say.  Around the mid 90's the success rate went from typically 30-40% success rate to around 50-60% success rate and has stayed there.  Reaching a high of 76% in 2000.  These are gun hunting numbers from the DNR of WI.

Bow hunting numbers before 1990 were at or below 22%  Always below 20% before 1986.  Mid 90's shows the success rate jumps into the 30% range and has for the most part held steady in that range.  After about 2002 it hasn't dropped below 33% with a high of 45%.

This could all be attributed to a number of variables, but I'm guessing technology and the spread of information(internet) has a lot to do with it.  Deer numbers haven't jumped that much(if at all).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the day guys dressed head to toe in red/black plaid - while standing on the ground - managed to kill a shitload of deer without pouring piss on themselves.  And they dragged those dead deer out of the woods without the aid of a camo 4 x 4 golf cart.  Fucking miraculous.

This man gets it.

That's sig line material right there

Sure they killed deer.  So did the indians with hand built bows(as I alluded to in my first post).  Why don't you hunt naked with hand made bows?

If you look at the kill percentages for most states(that I have looked at), the success rate of hunters really jumped up about the late 80's to early 90's.  WI success rate was around 7-12% till the late 80's when it started to steadily climb and has held steady at around 30-40% success for the last 10 years or so.

So by the looks of it, technology is helping hunters be more successful.

TRG

Guess i dont know about WI but here the deer #'s sure have but have been on there way down the last several years
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Most of those shows are canned hunts.. Check the ending credits out and go to the web site.
The only thing I worry about is staying warm and awake!
View Quote

A few local boys started their own business in response to this type of crap.  All public land only hunts, with real guys who have full time jobs outside of the videos.  I especially enjoy the deer drive clips, reminds me of real life.

They call it Whitetail Adrenaline, there's a website easy enough to find.  

Full disclaimer, two of the guys are buddies and ex-coworkers of mine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A few local boys started their own business in response to this type of crap.  All public land only hunts, with real guys who have full time jobs outside of the videos.  I especially enjoy the deer drive clips, reminds me of real life.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of those shows are canned hunts.. Check the ending credits out and go to the web site.
The only thing I worry about is staying warm and awake!

I love a good deer drive. Its funny as hell anytime deer hunting comes up on the Iowa DNR facebook page there is a huge amout of butt hurt over group hunting I usually have to jump in and stir the pot
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top