Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2014 6:52:10 PM EDT
Just got a SBE2 slug gun for those that shoot the SBE and SBE2 what ammo are you getting the best results from?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:11:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just got a SBE2 slug gun for those that shoot the SBE and SBE2 what ammo are you getting the best results from?

Thanks
View Quote

slug guns are picky..
get a couple of boxes of every one you can and head to the range. find out which one your barrel likes best.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:17:42 AM EDT
[#2]
See below
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Lightfield slugs seem to be pretty accurate out of most slug guns, at least in my experience.  I would try those as well as Hornady SST's and Federal Vital Shocks too.  My friend shoots the SST's out of SBE 2 and seems to have good results.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#4]
As ususal, FPNI.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

slug guns are picky..
get a couple of boxes of every one you can and head to the range. find out which one your barrel likes best.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

slug guns are picky..

I realize this but at 10-15 a box I'd like to narrow it down to two
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

slug guns are picky..

I shoot alot of slugs and have several different guns rigged up for shooting them. I do not have an SBE.

the lightfields do have a reputation as being accurate in many types of shotguns, but to be honest in all of my testing in the following:
1100- CYL with RS
870- CYL with RS
1300-IC with RS ( the most accurate of the bunch)

the bulk pack winchester foster 2 3/4 inch slugs have been rather consistant and really good shooting and the Federal Foster style have shoot well too- probably a little better than the winchester load but it wasn't enough to offset the savings of the Wal Mart bulk pack by winchester.

I have a Rifled Barreled 11/87 that likes the Federal Sabot.

i have been rather disappointed in all of the Remington loads that I have tried.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 11:49:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not familiar with the acronym SBE2. Is this a smoothbore or rifled barrel?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:01:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Benelli super black eagle 2 with a 24" rifled barrel
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the Federal Sabot will rock it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:32:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The federals have been good to me too
The remington accutip have been very accurate in any gun I have shot them in, and very destructive to the deer. The remington copper solids are also cheap(er) have less recoil and are effective.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The remington accutip have been very accurate in any gun I have shot them in, and very destructive to the deer. The remington copper solids are also cheap(er) have less recoil and are effective.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 10 boxes of the Coppers but have never shot them.
you are right about the Federal Sabots. you know it when fire the shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay, in that case I'd recommend trying Hornady SST or Federal Fusion sabot loads.  These seem to be some of the most affordable, and I've great success with the Hornady SST in my slug gun.  Sportsman's Guide regularly carries the Hornady SST rounds at a good price, and I usually wait until they have a free shipping offer to stock up on boxes in the off season.  I'm starting to see hunting ammunition going on sale, so I think I'll pick up a few boxes of the Federal Fusions to try out, as they are relatively cheap as well.  I always start with the cheapest rounds available and then work up in price until I find a load a particular slug gun likes.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 5:01:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Lightfields hybrid 3" shoot the best out of my SBE slug gun. 2.5 moa.

Pros, hit like a hammer, super accurate, no fliers, lighter recoil than some slugs

Cons, expensive, and they are slow and not very aero dynamic, so they are a 150 yd slug max.

I tried a bunch of other faster slugs, but the benelli would chew up some sabots and I'd get fliers. Prolly not enough to lose a deer over, but opened up my groups. The hybrid 3" slugs shoot so ridiculously well, I haven't tried any since starting to use those. Hardest hitting slug available, just not extremely flat shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top