Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 9:25:06 PM EDT
I don't have a feeder, but am thinking of investing in one.  

How soon, and I suppose there are lots of variables, after setting one up do you think it could start drawing deer in?  There are lots of deer in the area already, but I'd like to focus them to where I'd have a good line on them.  

Rifle season opens next Wed or Thurs, and was thinking of picking one up and putting it out tomorrow.  But if you guys think it would have an adverse effect then I'll probably wait.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you going to get a timed thrower or just a gravity feeder. I typically use a timed thrower and have it set to throw 30 minutes before dawn and 45 minutes before dusk for 5-7 seconds. After you set the feeder out put a half bag of feed corn on the ground and some handfuls along their trails. It will take a couple of days for them to get used to it but they will start coming in to eat if they are in the area. I like to use some berry blend from Tractor Supply with a 1-4 ratio with cracked corn.

Technically it is a little late in the season but it could not hurt especially since you can hunt over it after rifle and into extended antlerless in January. Plus you can put it out next year and on time. The sooner the better to keep the does in the area.

It will not be a guarantee that they will feed from it during shooting hours but it will help keep them in the area. They are in full rut right now and rattling would be your best option now but if you wait until rifle on December 3rd it might be on the downside but the does will be feeding regularly.

Good luck and post a nice pic if you get one.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Good deal. Thanks, man!

ETA:  Didn't have the time to respond in more depth last night.  Yes, I'm looking at timed feeders.  I put a bag of corn out by hand in several areas last week, and my FIL has been putting a bit out as well when he is there.  We're heading up that way for Thanksgiving today, so I'm going to stop and put more out.  I can't buy a feeder until I sell a BUIS from my AR, so may not get one this year.  Was just a quick thought I had yesterday.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You might check the laws on automatic feeders. When I started feeding the deer several years ago, it was illegal to hunt over them. I usually slip in every week or so and dump a bag of corn and check cameras. Seems to work.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might check the laws on automatic feeders. When I started feeding the deer several years ago, it was illegal to hunt over them. I usually slip in every week or so and dump a bag of corn and check cameras. Seems to work.
View Quote
Yeah, good idea.  I thought I'd heard and had "assumed"   they were legal here.  Thanks!

ETA:  Quick search, looks like it's illegal to hunt w/in 100 yards of them on department lands.  I'm on private land, so seems g2g I think?  Either way, doesn't look like I'll be getting one this season anyway.  I stopped by and scattered another bag out today.  Will do another in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to draw them in quicker use scented feed or add some of the liquid baits to a pile under the feeder . Plain corn will eventually get them, but add something with a strong sweet smell and they will find it a lot sooner.

I've used Buck Jam before and had them on a pile in 24 hours.

I used to mix peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and molasses and heat it all up and dump it all Over the corn. It helped a lot if I needed them to show up within a day or two.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you want to draw them in quicker use scented feed or add some of the liquid baits to a pile under the feeder . Plain corn will eventually get them, but add something with a strong sweet smell and they will find it a lot sooner.

I've used Buck Jam before and had them on a pile in 24 hours.

I used to mix peanut butter, maple syrup, vanilla, and molasses and heat it all up and dump it all Over the corn. It helped a lot if I needed them to show up within a day or two.

View Quote
Good idea.  Will see if I can grab some of that liquid goo.  

Went out today and didn't see anything moving...just a squirrel and some birds.  All the corn was untouched and saw no deer poo.

We did run into the owner of the cattle that's on the property.  He saw a big buck yesterday morning, and I think I may have seen him yesterday when we left.  They also said there's a decent sized herd that lives in the immediate area.  The temps are warm enough that the ice has melted nearly completely off the ponds, and looks like temps will remain warmer into next week.  I put some corn around a small pond where it sounds like the deer frequent.  Fingers crossed!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top