Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2014 12:05:02 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I'd like an arfcommers take on the subject. I have a ground blind that has deer passing by at 10-20 yards. Been tempted to harvest a doe with my carry gun, a glock 21 in .45 acp. I carry Winchester sxt 230gr hollow points. Should I be good to go? Or should I use fmj for penetration?

I'm going to avoid the shoulder blade shot.

Is .45 acp from a pistol adequate or shall I just stick with my bow
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I would do it.

Use the Winchester bullets.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You should be fine. Check state game laws though, verify the round has the velocity and energy required by law to harvest deer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I know that a 15yd shot out of a M&P 45 full size with a 230gr Golden Sabre (non-bonded) will not pass through with a slight quarter away shot if it hits rib.  Bullet was recovered in the first lung. Bullet over expanded and lost its core.  Deer hunched, turned and hopped 10 yds and stood there with its head down, blood pouring out its mouth and nose for 30 seconds.

After that a second shot was taken to make sure it did not walk off. Second shot was the same angle and distance and placement, with the same no pass through.  This time it dropped like it was hit by lightning.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
It would be cool to recover the round
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't say for sure on .45 ACP, but I took a large doe on "doe day" from about 25 yds with a 10mm Colt Delta Elite 1911.  Used a 180 gr Silvertip HP.  In on right side, behind front leg, almost out the left front shoulder, bullet lodged just under the skin.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no doubt it would work, but I can't test my belief as it is illegal here.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't think it would be too different that using a inline muzzleloader. Heck i shoot saboted .45 XTP bullets.

ETA: I was incorrect, muzzle energy is about half out of a handgun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Works on hogs too
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Hit em behind the shoulder and itll work fine. Skip the fmj.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:45:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I say go for it. If you can hit the sweet spot, that is.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#11]
It'll work, right up to the point where that buck takes your 1911 from you and beats you death with it. Ties you to the top of his rack, takes you to his taxidermist and has you mounted to HIS wall.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:48:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure about "harvesting", but a .45 will definitely kill a deer if you can hit it in the right place.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:19:49 AM EDT
[#13]
If you do it, use a good JHP.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I carry it every where so next deer I see inside of 20yds is getting some lead.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I'd be interested in seeing the slug if you can retrieve it.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#16]
What about 9mm. I know any bullet with proper placement can do it... Has anyone?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll post it up if i shoot one
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What about 9mm. I know any bullet with proper placement can do it... Has anyone?
View Quote

I swear I saw a post last year of a guy who zapped a doe with a 9mm posted in this forum
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:33:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

wouldnt count on it.
I'v put several rounds through MN whitetails out to 25 yards or so.
all through and through
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make sure to post pix of your deer and the recovered slug, pretty cool braggin' rights. I don't know anyone that's done it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

wouldnt count on it.
all through and through
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wouldnt count on it.
all through and through

Pistol rounds?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Pistol rounds?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wouldnt count on it.
all through and through

Pistol rounds?

Yup, 1911 operator. Winchester ranger T's
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Many state game laws now read ( minimum barrel length of at least 5" and a bullet .357 or larger

But if you listen to all the recent hoopla you are probably better off using 9mm ( I am attempting sarcasm here - don't use 9)
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

wouldnt count on it.
all through and through

Pistol rounds?

Ok, I'm impressed. I'm eyeballin' my SA 1911 "Loaded" and thinking "Well, you lil buck-whacker, you, we're going to have to make some jerky".
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#25]
arfcom archive photos:

Couple other guys:

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn that muley doe looks fucked up
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I have taken several does with both 9mm and 45 ACP always get full pass through a with hollow point carry ammo
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:12:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought about using this this year.   It’s a Bazooka Brothers AR15A2 Carbine chambered in 45acp

Wolf
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 12:35:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Should I be good to go?
View Quote
Head shots only.
I shot a doe with a 6.5" 357 magnum years ago.  She ran away and I never found her.  Hand guns just don't have the energy that rifles do, which makes shot placement a lot more important.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:38:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Head shots only.
I shot a doe with a 6.5" 357 magnum years ago.  She ran away and I never found her.  Hand guns just don't have the energy that rifles do, which makes shot placement a lot more important.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Should I be good to go?
Head shots only.

Iv seen deer hit with a 300 mag at under 100 yards run off never to be found.
Shot placement always matters. Hit them in the vitals with a .45 out of a handgun with enough velocity to get to them andtthe deer dies.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:Iv seen deer hit with a 300 mag at under 100 yards run off never to be found.
Shot placement always matters. Hit them in the vitals with a .45 out of a handgun with enough velocity to get to them andtthe deer dies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Head shots only.
If shot placed was always good, then lots of us would be hunting with 22 WMR.  With less bullet energy, more importance is placed on shot placement.  Which is why I started my post with "Head shots only."  I have shot white tails with 300 Win Mag and had them run off never to be seen, but it ain't many.  With the 357, I had awesome shot placement because they were so close.  But it wasn't enough.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If shot placed was always good, then lots of us would be hunting with 22 WMR.  With less bullet energy, more importance is placed on shot placement.  Which is why I started my post with "Head shots only."  I have shot white tails with 300 Win Mag and had them run off never to be seen, but it ain't many.  With the 357, I had awesome shot placement because they were so close.  But it wasn't enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Head shots only.

You were either really unlucky or shot placement was not as good as you thought.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:58:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Head shots only.

How do you know what your shot placement was if the deer was uncovered?
A .45 acp is more then enough for a vitals shot at under 50 yards. Head shots are not needed.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:25:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You were either really unlucky or shot placement was not as good as you thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
She was 15 yards away.  The pistol is a tack driver.  I had good shot placement.  I heard her bleating a few moments after the shot.  With a rifle I get two holes for the deer to bleed from, making tracking a lot easier.  With a pistol you're more likely (than a rifle) to get just one, making tracking harder.  It didn't help that she ran into a thicket of briars.  I'd have looked harder where it not for the briars. But after about 15 minutes, that's all I could take.
Quoted:
A .45 acp is more then enough for a vitals shot at under 50 yards. Head shots are not needed.
15 yards away and I heard her bleating afterward.
"More than enough" is a matter of opinion, not fact.  Rifles are rifles, and pistols are pistols.

And just because it has been done before doesn't make it a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
She was 15 yards away.  The pistol is a tack driver.  I had good shot placement.  I heard her bleating a few moments after the shot.  With a rifle I get two holes for the deer to bleed from, making tracking a lot easier.  With a pistol you're more likely (than a rifle) to get just one, making tracking harder.  It didn't help that she ran into a thicket of briars.  I'd have looked harder where it not for the briars. But after about 15 minutes, that's all I could take.15 yards away and I heard her bleating afterward.
"More than enough" is a matter of opinion, not fact.  Rifles are rifles, and pistols are pistols.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
She was 15 yards away.  The pistol is a tack driver.  I had good shot placement.  I heard her bleating a few moments after the shot.  With a rifle I get two holes for the deer to bleed from, making tracking a lot easier.  With a pistol you're more likely (than a rifle) to get just one, making tracking harder.  It didn't help that she ran into a thicket of briars.  I'd have looked harder where it not for the briars. But after about 15 minutes, that's all I could take.
Quoted:

So you missed the lungs anyway....
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So you missed the lungs anyway....
View Quote

The fact that she vocalized isn't proof that her lungs weren't damaged.  Deer can still vocalize with a lung shot.  Human beings can still carry on a conversation with dual sucking chest wounds.  I've witnessed it many times.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
She was 15 yards away.  The pistol is a tack driver.  I had good shot placement.  I heard her bleating a few moments after the shot.  With a rifle I get two holes for the deer to bleed from, making tracking a lot easier.  With a pistol you're more likely (than a rifle) to get just one, making tracking harder.  It didn't help that she ran into a thicket of briars.  I'd have looked harder where it not for the briars. But after about 15 minutes, that's all I could take.15 yards away and I heard her bleating afterward.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see where there was any failure other than yours.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:53:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wouldn't be surprised by the vastness of things you don't see.

Shot'em with a rifle or make a head-shot.  Otherwise you better be a good tracker.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 6:22:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Ohio is now allowing deer hunting with straight walled pistol cartridge RIFLES.

.45 ACP is on the approved list.. but so is .38 Special. Not sure who put a list like that together?

As for handguns, at least in Ohio, you can only hunt whitetails with a pistol that has a barrel longer than 5" and a caliber .357 or larger.

Could you kill a deer with a .45 ACP from your Glock 21? Yes.

Would it be illegal in Ohio? Yes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Shot'em with a rifle or make a head-shot.  Otherwise you better be a good tracker.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They run many times when shot with a rifle.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They almost always run when shot with my bow (unless i take a spine shot).  Tracking is just part of being a good and ethical hunter.    I don't see any issues with using a 45acp as long as it's legal in your area.   Also, if it does run, don't pursue right away.  Let it bleed out and die.  This is all part of it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but you looked for 15 minutes and gave up?
She ran away and you never found her is right. You stopped looking!  If you put a round into her chest, I would bet she was dead before you even stopped looking.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#44]
I am in the first two pictures on the previous page. I have killed two deer with a 1911 in .45 ACP, and both were recovered easily. The one in the photos dropped where she stood. The other ran about 100 yards with shot out heart and lungs. The bullet in questions was a Hornady 185 XTP. In both cases it mushroomed and passes all the way through the body, and was caught by the skin on the other side. I was worried if .45 was enough cartridge to do the job, but it did so splendidly.

Dad tried it after I proved to him you could do it and he had similar results.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:18:26 AM EDT
[#45]

What kind of holster is that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top