Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2014 11:42:58 AM EDT
Some hunters swear by scent killing sprays, others say they are a gimmick.  I have zero experience with them, but I'm considering trying something this year.  Curious if anyone  has reccomendations, either to use or to avoid.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a doe walk literally right up to me Sunday. I was ground hunting on forest land ... I had no anti scent on. I am going with gimmick. I didn't even have to aim. It's  the first ever point shoot doe I've ever taken. The only time three gun close enuf cqb has ever been needed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been winded with and without scent killer/cover scent. This weekend I had a young buck walk 30 feet in front of my ground set up (tucked back next to some shrubs) without it. I doubt it is all its cracked up to be, but any advantage, real or imagined, is helpful.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Scent block stuff is the biggest Gimmick in the Deer hunting Idustry, it brings in millions of Dollars and is all bullshit.

unless you go in a Realtree Chem suit its all hype.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I've done just fine without it but my new hunting friend won't let me on his land unless I'm doused in it.  That being said its a small price to pay for good hunting.

No matter what, you can't beat a deers nose
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No matter what, you can't beat a deers nose
View Quote

Oh, sooooooooo this!
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are upwind of a deer, they are smelling you either way.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 11:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw a field and stream study that showed that cover scents help hide you for just long enough to get a shot off but not completely. The "scent killer" sprays are pure gimmick however.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:04:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The scent killer sprays do not get rid of your sent. They are anti-bacterial and keep bacteria from growing. Bacteria is what makes body odor. But your human scent is still there.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
use some to get rid of skunk smell before!! But as far as working for hunting, save your money for snacks and a soda in the tree stand. Nothing will fool the nose of a deer smelling something that isn't supposed to be in his back yard.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 1:07:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I think it's snake oil.  One year I went all out with carbon based scent killer and used one of those scent wizards to help spread my high dollar Code Blue Standing Estrous Doe urine.  That year I didn't see shit.

The best thing I ever did to kill my scent was to stop wearing leather boots and start wearing rubber boots.  With leather boots, deer would go ape shit when they crossed the path I can in on.  With rubber boots, they still stop to smell, but they aren't nearly as alarmed.  They remain calm.

Also, I don't do anything with my hunting clothes but hunt, and I store them in a Rubbermaid container to cut down on contamination.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#11]
If you must use it, make your own and save the cash.  You can make a gallon for $5 and use it all season, that is what I do.

I wear rubber boots on cooler days, snake boots on warm days for the rattlers, and hunt with the wind.  If you only have one area to hunt, put up stands for the N and S winds and use them accordingly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:50:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Ive been bow hunting for around 27 years. Here is what I do to get rid of my scent.

1 Hang clothes out the night before you hunt (all layers)
2 Rubber boots
3 Take shower morning of hunt in scent free soap and use scent free deodorant.
4 Spray down clothes with scent killer when I get out of truck.
5 Use fox pee as cover. I put it at base of stand tree and on small rag when I get in stand.

I not positive about #4 but its cheap and for what I spend on hunting even if the extra few bucks only gives me 1% better chance on a deer I will use it.

I found the fox pee makes a huge difference while bow hunting. Its almost like once they wind that scent they calm down or something. Its hard to explain but I have had good results using it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been winded with and without the "scent killers".  Personally, I think they're snake oil.

I've found it just as easy and at least as effective to simply use the scent free detergents to wash my hunting clothes then try to keep them in a heavy garbage bag or action packer (heavy plastic tote) loaded with cedar branches, acorns, etc.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 5:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Deer have a better nose than a dog according to some studies.  You can't beat the nose.

Their eyesight sucks unless you move.  They see movement very well.  

So hunt the wind and hold still.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive been bow hunting for around 27 years. Here is what I do to get rid of my scent.

1 Hang clothes out the night before you hunt (all layers)
2 Rubber boots
3 Take shower morning of hunt in scent free soap and use scent free deodorant.
4 Spray down clothes with scent killer when I get out of truck.
5 Use fox pee as cover. I put it at base of stand tree and on small rag when I get in stand.

I not positive about #4 but its cheap and for what I spend on hunting even if the extra few bucks only gives me 1% better chance on a deer I will use it.

I found the fox pee makes a huge difference while bow hunting. Its almost like once they wind that scent they calm down or something. Its hard to explain but I have had good results using it.
View Quote

I'm already doing #1 through #3.  I use scent killer when I hunt with people who also use it. I might buy some for the later season this year.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Scent killer will not completely fool a deer's nose.  I've dressed in carbon suits with carbon headgear and noticed situations in places and conditions where I had been winded and with a total cover up I wasn't scented.  I believe these were conditions where my scent was marginal in the first place and scent elimination measures were enough to tip the scales in my favor.  I now make my stand selection based on where I can be that the direction deer are likely to come from isn't where the prevailing wind will carry my scent.  You can generally get away with more in the morning when the thermals will carry your scent upwards.  You'll do well to take into account the thermals  when choosing your location.  I like to use scent killer on my boots soles and sides and have noticed it has kept deer from alerting when they've crossed my path.  They have followed my path sometimes, seemingly interested in the smell.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:08:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Scent blocking clothing, I haven't seen a big difference in.

Scent killing sprays though, are FAR from a gimmick. If you use them right, they make a huge difference. Most hunters just plain don't use them right, you have to spray down thoroughly, and not only get your clothing, but also your hair which is what distributes your scent the most. I rub it into my hair and beard on every hunt, and spray down my socks before putting my boots on. The difference in what you can get away with scent wise, is remarkable.

And like others said, you can never fool a deer's nose completely...........but you can make them think you are much further away than where you are, or that you were there a long time ago and not right now. I've shot a P&Y whitetail almost every season for near a decade, fair chase and pretty much public ground, and I swear by the scent killer 99% product.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm a big believer in the stuff. I firmly believe that the wind dictates all, but these sprays and soaps help alot. Before I really started using this stuff, I've watched big does walk across my trail, smell where I walked, and follow my exact trail to my treestand. Then comes the head bobbing, stomping, and snorting. Deer still smell me when I use it. But not nearly as much as they used too.

I have a tote for my hunting boots that gets washed before the season. I wash my boots in scent killing soap and only wear them when I am in the woods. No truck, camp, nothing.

I wash my clothes a couple times per season. They stay in their own washed tote with those little scent wafers. They only go on when I am outside. I spray down with every layer of clothes I put on.

I wear gloves when I climb up to my treestand.

I don't use that scent control clothing. Biggest gimmick out there. You can fart, and still smell it.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I think its a load of bullshit personally. I used to work with a guy that went full retard with the scent covering tactics right down to eating corn chips to mask his breath

Guess what he hadn't ever shot anymore deer than I did the few seasons we worked together for all his troubles

ymmv
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Gimmick, IMHO.

In working with dogs, at least, using any kind of scent-killing spray that I've tried, no matter how applied, they can always go right to the scented spot.

I don't know how a deer's nose compares to a dogs, but hey, I don't think that the sprays do anything.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I got a nice doe yesterday wearing boots and coveralls that were literally soaked in jet fuel and 5606. They approached my ground blind via the path I did.

Gimmick.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Not sure if it's a gimmick or not, but I've never used it.

This year I plan to rub my hunting gear all over my buck (goat), who's in rut, to mask my odor. He smells to high heaven. Heck, maybe that will attract a big one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top