Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 8:15:41 PM EDT
I know Texas counts 'points' differently that Yankee states, like Waaaaaashington, but ... How many points can you count on this one?

TRG
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd count every single one you could put a ring on without slipping off.   I like racks like that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
The correct answer is....enough.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I am hoping he returns this weekend when the season opens.

It was a rewarding, but frustrating, scout to see him walking around.

He made it through bow-season.

Seemed non-plussed and eventually trotted within 50 yards of my ground blind after meandering and grazing.

I never could get a point count on him.

He is the largest, and most interesting, buck that I have seen in my county after hunting here for almost 20 years.

I don't think he is more than 3.5-4.5 years ol.

Big belly, but, no heavy neck sagging, and when trotting, his belly was tucked back up.  In the pics, he's pretty pot-bellied, but, his color says 'prime' not 'post-mature'

TRG
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Very interesting buck for sure! I let a non typical walk a few years ago, after seeing him almost every time I hunted. Someone else killed him, he was too young.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Very interesting buck for sure! I let a non typical walk a few years ago, after seeing him almost every time I hunted. Someone else killed him, he was too young.
View Quote

I'll probably find him run over by a milk truck the night before....

I seldom look forward to deer season.  It's usually just a 'meh' around here because everything is either boring and small, or a basket that is too narrow (13" spread county)

This year ... man, I can not wait for Saturday morning.

I'll probably never see him again though.  Hunter's luck.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#6]
No points. Effing Photobucket strikes again. All the life are little blue question marks.

Rule of thumb I go by is if it's a whitetail you count all the points, Eastern count. If a mule deer you go by the western count and only count the side with the most points.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No points. Effing Photobucket strikes again. All the life are little blue question marks.

Rule of thumb I go by is if it's a whitetail you count all the points, Eastern count. If a mule deer you go by the western count and only count the side with the most points.
View Quote

I have a paid PB account, they should load.  Might be an issue on your end?

TRG
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Nope. Not at all. I tried posting a couple of pics yesterday that I've posted before and no go. For some reason pics hosted there haven't been showing up.for the past couple weeks. I'm on am android phone but it's all I've used for the last three yrs too. It must be another of their "upgrades" that's gone haywire again.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:36:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

^^^This.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope. Not at all. I tried posting a couple of pics yesterday that I've posted before and no go. For some reason pics hosted there haven't been showing up.for the past couple weeks. I'm on am android phone but it's all I've used for the last three yrs too. It must be another of their "upgrades" that's gone haywire again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

I looked at this thread on my Android yesterday.  Pics showed.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I can't make them all out but I hope you get him.    
View Quote

Even when he was walking I could not get him to stand still, close enough, to get a count either.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:07:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Enough that I would have shot him, then worried about pictures.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Enough that I would have shot him, then worried about pictures.
View Quote

Season isn't open.  

TRG
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag for success.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tag for success.
View Quote

Watched the deer again this evening.  Two bucks, not releated to him, and smaller baskets.  2.5-3 year old, max.

Season opens Saturday morning, I have not sat in the stand in the AM yet to see if they are moving differently.  Some decent trails visible on the satellite view of the property.  All three bucks have been on those trails.  They ignored the feed entirely.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you all for the well wishes.

He's home now.  Mom and kid are settling in to their routine.  Although I have now been trained in all things baby (because nurses made me do it...) mother took over tonight and it gave me a chance to get a few things done outside...

Namely, deer hunting.

Got that biggun that I saw the week before the season opened.

Before...

After:

Dems horns...

Had been sitting in the blind looking at a possible spike, mulling over my energy level with so little sleep ... thnking maybe I'd just pass this evening afterall when he streaked in from upwind to sniff the does in the pasture.

As soon as he turned and the crosshairs settled.  .308 for DPeacher dropped him in his tracks.

A little high on the shoulder at 158 yards.

Broke the spike, ripped out all the arteries on the top of hte heart (heart intact).  

Bullet did not exit, but, this buck was DRT.

He turned out to be too heavy for me to lift in to the truck alone.  That;s a first for me in this county.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Good deal! That's a super cool buck! Any taxidermy plans?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good deal! That's a super cool buck! Any taxidermy plans?
View Quote

Stihl 026.  Salt the skull cap.  Screw him to a piece of walnut.  He is certainly cool though.  Never seen one with this pattern.  Don;t know if it is genetic or fungal based.

He's lost a few points from breakage, so, they have some even more interesting character up close.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:36:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I bet he'll be tasty either way. He's very cool. I'll be out in the morning though I hate hunting a full moon.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:26:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bet he'll be tasty either way. He's very cool. I'll be out in the morning though I hate hunting a full moon.
View Quote

Android App.  Huntstand

Excellent app for deer.  It showed me the wind direction tonight, and when I saw does in the main field I knew which direction the rutting bucks would use on the trails that I saw.

Although he surprised me, he came in exactly the way I expected based upon the info given by the app and hte location of my stand and trails that I marked in the app.

Lunar cycles.  Weather.  72hr wind projections, etc.

Slick, I like it.

App told me both sunset and moonrise times, and expected peaks in deer activity.  It has not been 100% accurate on the activity, but, it does give some new info and I have seen more deer by 'listening' to the app's projections and spending more time in the field.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll have to check that out. I currently get that info but have to piece it together from several different sources.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Congrats on the deer
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Congrats on the deer
View Quote

Thanks.

He's made several nice meals already.

Dressed out at 70lbs of meat without bones.

Pics just don't do him justice.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:32:58 AM EDT
[#26]
 I was eating jerky tonight from mine. Enjoy. That's a cool buck for sure.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
 I was eating jerky tonight from mine. Enjoy. That's a cool buck for sure.
View Quote

Drying the hide right now and will do the skull cap this afternoon.

I plan to put both in my newborn son;s room.  Should make for some cool newborn pics with him on the hide with the horns and an indian headress.

TRG
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:01:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice!

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Congrats on the deer
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Congrats!! That is one sweet looking buck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top