Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2014 8:50:38 PM EDT
The news reports I hear is that the deer population is way down in Missouri this year.  Where I hunt, I usually take three a year, sometimes more depending on what I need.  I found a real sweet spot.  For three weeks I have been running my game camera over my mineral blocks and apple dumps (I know the 10 day rule, and this is for rifle season) and the first two weeks I saw a few doe here and there, sometimes nothing for days.  I checked the camera this week and zero, zilch, nada.  The guy who owns the property said he has not seen much himself and he lives on it.  

I am hoping it was due to a bit of rainy weather earlier and warmer temps right now.  Today it got up to 85, not typical late October weather.  I am not really encouraged by the prospects, especially the 11 pointer I had on camera last year.

How are your areas?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the dept of conservation report I read said the deer numbers are down in parts of the state, up in others.  I am not surprised that numbers are down, been killing too many does for too many years.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Piss poor up here.  Had a severe extended cold snap last winter.  Sub zero temps for a couple months straight.  I think we lost many of them during that snap.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:59:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 I am not surprised that numbers are down, been killing too many does for too many years.
View Quote

This.
I hunt mainly in Southwest Mo., used to be you would see a group of deer come through at a time.
Now its one or two.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:23:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I expect a good season, where I hunt I. N. Texas.

When I went at the begining of Oct I saw 10 doe and 3 small bucks. I expect a full freeze one rifle season comes around.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Last 2 weekends have been very active, this last weekend even more so. If I was still shooting a compound I would have deer in the freezer. If it was gun season I'd be back at the reloading press!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the dept of conservation report I read said the deer numbers are down in parts of the state, up in others.  I am not surprised that numbers are down, been killing too many does for too many years.
View Quote

That's what the insurance companies wanted the MDC to accomplish.

ETA: and with another harsh Winter expected, I would expect the numbers could easily drop further.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Going to be good for us I think, I have over 30 different bucks on camera and probably 50 different does with babies and lots of singles....
western Mo right on the Missouri River....
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
in south central it doesn't look to good either I see 1 or sometimes 2 deer in a group the population will probably decline even more next year don't really see it rebounding without some regulation changes to reduce doe harvest.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I hunt southwest michigan. Been a slow start...

We had a rough winter last year, but there was a lot of  unharvested  corn due to the wet fall weather so there was still a lot of food for the deer.

Camera activity has been ok, a bunch of decent 2.5-3.5 year old bucks but very few 1.5 year old deer. Now that the Mid October lull has passed through I'm hoping for an eventful Halloween weekend
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been getting trail cam pics from the family farm up in NE MO.  Last year we had a bumper crop of fork horned bucks.... and it looks like most of em made it to be 6-8 points  
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of nice ones in southern MO on my trail cams. I've hunted a lot in MO over the past 20 years. Every year counties south of I70 get better an North of i70 get worse.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm in central Nebraska.  The deer numbers are up quite a bit according to me actually seeing quite a bit of deer personally and on a game camera.  Around here 2-3 years ago we had a massive die off of deer (cwd?) or some such and have been recovering ever since.  There are a lot a "decent" deer here and a few "great deer" that I know of.  Many does with twins and triplets.  And in certain areas the mule deer are making a comeback for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Checked cameras from where I hunt, several nice bucks on camera. Hopefully JR can bust one Sat morning.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Looking pretty good in Lawrence County, SW Missouri.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#16]
In South Dakota, GF & P have reduced tags numbers state wide due primarily to outbreaks of epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD).  Personallly, I haven't been seeing deer in the places I normally see them. Going to be hard hunting.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I hunted Colorado last week on the western slope. There was a bumper crop of young bucks.... Mulies,  spikes and 2x2's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top