Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2014 8:20:21 AM EDT
After reading alot of posts about spooking deer and deer avoiding areas where they have seen or even just smelled you, it got me to thinking that maybe i should adjust my strategy.

So far i have picked an area that looks promising on the topo after i checking it out in person. Then i spend all of my time in that area with the theory being that eventually i will start seeing deer.

I have well over 10000 acres of state land within a 20 minute drive of where i am staying. This land is 6 different tracts of state gameland and state forest seperated by private woods which are all posted.

Perhaps i should find 5 or 6 spots that look promising and rotate among them so i am only at each one every few days. This way the deer wouldn't get used to my presence and change their patterns. I could even hunt one spot in the morning and another in the evening.

Any advice on this?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 9:14:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Dont sit on your same spots all of the time.

Have multiples - for different wind, for different deer, different times of day (approach), and just so a spot doesnt get stale or deer stop coming cause your always there.

I wear a bush/Ghillie suit because of this.  Not tied down by stand location.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:05:58 AM EDT
[#2]
You have the right idea.  Remember though most deer come to feed in the afternoons and leave the feed in the mornings to go bed.  So its always good to be in the right spot for those morning and afternoon stands.  Assuming you can't bait due to Govt. land.  

Also remember deer will learn to pattern you just like your trying to pattern them so less pressure is the best.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Basically what you want to hunt is travel corridors or transition areas.

Find the areas they're feeding in, find the bedding areas, and get yourself somewhere in between. As the deer get more "nocturnal" move closer to the bedding areas so you can catch them the last few minutes of daylight as they leave their beds. It also works in the morning as they try to sneak back to their beds the first few minutes of daylight.

I've killed a lot of deer using this strategy over 30yrs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top