Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2014 6:52:39 PM EDT
General gun is finishing up this weekend and I have not shot a deer (OR PIG) yet.  Any advice?
I am somewhat new to hunting and completely new to this WMA.  Grand daddy used to take me out on the buggy with friends and we would kill them but that was when I was young. Alas the tradition was not handed down and things have changed since then anyways.  Holey Lands is the closest WMA to me so I spent some time exploring it over summer.  I waded and cut sawgrass (and myself) from the south side and mucked through the swampy woods from the West.  I found a good spot walking in from the high power lines with some pig shits and set up a tripod before archery season with the intention to hunt the general gun.  October has showed up and it turns out that it is the most wet month of the year there!  Animals have vacated the premises it seems! Has anyone canoed through the North side canal to find a spot? Ive read all the posts about this place and maybe I missed it with archery season being the best? Maybe the animals have moved inland or been killed? I've spent a couple days a week there since August. Any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you're determined to make it happen out there, I'd find a new place to hunt. Holes and Rot are both tough places with a learning curve like no other. Guys that are successful out there are tight lipped and it takes years of trial and error to figure out yourself. The good news is that there are a lot of great places to deer hunt in south FL, so why not try another area? It's greeting a little late for deer, but you could still hunt hogs at a few WMAs during small game next month.

Just like anywhere else, deer shift their patterns. What looked good pre archery might not be the same come general gun. There's a lot of pressure out there and the deer will move deeper in once the shooting starts. As far as pigs out there, they are very few if any.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the response.I'm going to stick with it at Holey Lands in order to figure it out but also move on to big cypress now and I pulled a first week quota hunt for Green Swamp East general gun. I will head up there soon to try to find a good secluded spot with animal signs.  I did see a bunch of pig scat and hoof marks at holey land this year and I tried to get pretty deep into the swamp on foot.  I plan on spending extra time this winter and spring in holey land just looking around. People have claimed a bunch of good spots that I've found already and I dont want to step on toes.  I guess I just have to get to know the area better and maybe try to get in there for archery season next year.  Any other advice would be appreciated!  I didn't see alot of trucks out there this whole season but I also missed the first weeks of archery.  I saw that there were animals all over in August! I saw a couple bucks chasing each other on the roads next to Miami Canal!  As I get more familiar with the place Ill be able to walk deeper.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top