Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No. Different cartridge completely.

Did you get a Mk V ?

If so, congrats.  You just traded into the world's worst kicking rifle IMO.
I would shoot my .375 H&H all day long before my FIL's Weatherby.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any difference between a 300 Winchester Magnum and a 300 Weatherby Magnum?  

I just traded a guy for a beautiful 300 Weatherby Magnum.  I am not sure what the hell I am going to do with it or even what ammo to use.  It was just so damn pretty....I couldn’t refuse.

Velocity/Ballistics are very close. The price of factory loads is quite different, Weatherby is considerably more expensive

The weapon is a Weatherby.  Can I use  300 Winchester Magnum ammo in it?
No. Different cartridge completely.

Did you get a Mk V ?

If so, congrats.  You just traded into the world's worst kicking rifle IMO.
I would shoot my .375 H&H all day long before my FIL's Weatherby.

Yeah....it is a Mk V.

To be honest........I may never shoot the damn thing.  I grew up coveting Weatherby........kinda like a Rolex.  I have never had the necessity or the right opportunity to pick one up.  I grew up hearing my dad talk about how he would love to own a Weatherby....but he couldn’t afford one. It will probably be a safe-queen.  I sure like to look at it, and I have some personal satisfaction knowing I have it in my collection.........just like the Rolex I never wear.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#2]
This is just my opinion but I don't feel that there is such a thing as over kill as long as it does not destroy the meat. I shoot a 7mm RUM and have never had to track a deer that I shot which I really feel is a plus.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:45:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Overkill is a silly word used mostly by "Stop liking what I don't like" types. Handload to your desired level of performance with the correct bullet for each situation and fill freezers/punch paper/ring steel.

7mm Rem. Mag. is another cartridge to consider.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Overkill is a silly word used mostly by "Stop liking what I don't like" types. Handload to your desired level of performance with the correct bullet for each situation and fill freezers/punch paper/ring steel.

View Quote

Overkill is when you start busting up the stomach even on a decent shot, and makes field dressing and meat prep a complete mess. I prefer shots in front of the diaphragm to leave the mess to that area only, lol. But, if you like being elbow deep in half digested  plant material, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Overkill is when you start busting up the stomach even on a decent shot, and makes field dressing and meat prep a complete mess. I prefer shots in front of the diaphragm to leave the mess to that area only, lol. But, if you like being elbow deep in half digested  plant material, YMMV.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You may have missed the part in red above. I like Barnes bullets and have had great performance with them because I like to keep most of the speed yet not destroy meat like you describe. This why I only used ballistic tips once. What a mess! If old school, or light jacketed bullets are used just slow 'em down a bit to whatever speed they perform best.

There are more ways to get the desired outcome than just smaller case capacity, though that certainly works too. I've taken to using lighter rifles lately, so the smaller cartridges get the nod there to keep recoil down.

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:44:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Often a simple change in bullet construction will help.  Shooting a bonded bullet that retains it's weight will solve extreme hydrostatic shock problems.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#7]
It is too much. I do not hunt deer with mine any more.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top