Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2014 7:11:54 AM EDT
Is 9mm inside of 30yds too little to take a Deer down? I know my FIL shot a Deer with a .357 revolver and a 4 inch barrel. Is the Glock 19 too small for those short of shenanigans?

I would like to do alternative method this year for Deer hunting but don't have a big pistol, I possibly would have a G17 by then.

I realize this prolly isnt the smartest of questions but im curious.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Best bet would be a Glock 20 in 10 mm. Then contact "Double Tap" ammunition for some of their fairly warm 10 mm loads. This combo will put you very close or even with the .41 Magnum.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Would it kill the animal ? - most likely would dispatch a deer with the right ammo and a precise shot
Would it kill the animal quick enough ?  Unlikely

Most states have laws on handgun hunting that state .357 mag of larger caliber , and at minimum a 5" barrel.
I have taken multiple deer (5) over a 5 year period with different handguns

You can kill a deer with a .22 , the real answer is should you ?!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Kill it with a heart and or lung shot yes.  Drop it quickly - probably not.  Also very hard to blood trail if you don't get an exit wound.

So how good of a shot are you?  What is land like- big enough it will still be on your hunting property, open enough you can find it if poor/no blood trail?

If you feel you can - I would use some premium ammo like Cor Bon w/ DPX bullet or a 124-147gr Ranger SXT.

Good Luck and let us know how it works.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:53:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't try. Don't have enough confidence that I could get a good clean kill, so no reason to try.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Not legal here; that range & closer with a good hit and a good bullet, yeah it will work, but why do it when there are better options out there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Do it, and don't look back my friend.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I love glock 19's and I know I wouldn't feel comfortable using one on deer.  I personally wouldn't even be comfortable using a 45.  For an Auto I think 10mm would be my personal limit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#8]
One evening after just climbing up my tree I discovered that a screw had fallen out of my bow sight and now it was just swinging freely. Since I had just got there I decided I wasn't gonna waste the opportunity. So I pulled out my CCW G26 and waited. I ended up getting a 15 yard broadside shot at an 8pt that jad already dropped one side of his rack.

First shot hit him in the pocket behind the shoulder, heart and double lung and the bullet stopped under the skin on the far side.
Second shot was a running shot from apprx 25 yards, bullet entered between his shoulders on his back, through the spine and lodged into his breastbone. Dropped him DRT.
The first shot was fatal. Both bullets were perfectly expanded, just like the picture on the box. 124gr PDX1.  Made a believer out of me to the extent of replacing my 45 carry guns with 9mm.

I'll dig up the photos from my old computer when I get back home from hunting camp.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I came across a dear that was hit by a car just laying in the middle of the road at night. Once I realized it was hurt and suffering I pulled the G17 out that I just got done target shooting and plinking with. Still had FMJ's in it but really hot Fiocci canned heat 1250fps I think it's rated 115 gr. one shot at 15 yards in the side of head and it layed down kicking and that was that. I felt so bad it was suffering and thought it was the correct moral thing to do, drug it off the road and let the coyotes and buzzards take it. On way home saw a state patrol parked in church lot and stopped. Told him I came across it and used my ccw weapon to put it down and he said thanks and drove off only to find out its illegal to do what I did .

If I had a 25-35 yard shot with some hot 9mm FMJ or 147gr bonded rounds I wouldn't hesitate to use a G19. I'm not worried about the round dropping it humanely with a good shot I would be more worried if the person pulling the trigger was capable of doing there part.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a co-worker who dropped a doe in his backyard about 25yds away with his 19, it made it about 30yds and expired.  He said it was a good test of his carry ammo.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm confident in my pistol skills. My 19 has a red dot on it as well. I planned on using a hotter loaded self defense round for it. I figure as long as i keep it inside of 30 yards i should be good to go.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The testimonials are surprising !
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
It will work but it's not the best for the job. A 357 is much better. Poachers use .22's.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I've shot and killed fairly decent sized hogs with my M&P9. I imagine it would work on deer too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
A friend of mine took a large mØØse with a G-lock fotay.  True story, brah.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Conceivably, yes.  Is it going to guarantee a one-shot or humane kill?  Definitely not.  I would use 147gr+p Federal HST if I were to hunt with one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I carry a G22 with hollow points as backup when I hunt. A couple years ago I took a blacktail buck with it at 30-35 yards. Destroyed the one of the lungs and the heart. Deer took two steps and dropped. I doubt I could replicate the scenario considering it was a moving target but it definitely worked in that instance.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I would take a good broadside shot with my 19 on one of our Florida does at 25 yards or less. If it wasn't a great shot I wouldn't take it but in terms of stopping power I think I could put one in the boiler room and get it done on these puddle bucks. 80% of the time my rifle is within arms reach but if I jumped a doe while taking a piss or something I would consider it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:12:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Its not legal here to use 9mm or use our CCW pistols for hunting purposes.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:19:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Round restrictions or barrel length restrictions are pretty straight forward. How in the hell can a CO make a call on what is a CCW I'm carrying a 4" Model 19 357Mag as my CCW - that makes it illegal; I'd like to see the law

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Round restrictions or barrel length restrictions are pretty straight forward. How in the hell can a CO make a call on what is a CCW I'm carrying a 4" Model 19 357Mag as my CCW - that makes it illegal; I'd like to see the law

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can ccw your 4" 357 but it must have 5" barrel to be used for deer.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, it has a 5" barrel; same question.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#23]
In Ohio you are not allowed to ccw your hunting firearm.  If you open carry a 4" 357 during gun season then you will get in trouble.  If it was 5" then you are fine.

How will they know?   They wont, just don't get caught without a legal  hunting firearm.  Cheaters going to cheat always have always will.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 4:40:08 AM EDT
[#24]
IM not trying to cheat, but i haven't read anything in the regulations about CCW guns. I am fairly certain i will have a Glock34 by then I think im gonna try to use that.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

In Ohio you are not allowed to ccw your hunting firearm.  If you open carry a 4" 357 during gun season then you will get in trouble.  If it was 5" then you are fine.

How will they know?   They wont, just don't get caught without a legal  hunting firearm.  Cheaters going to cheat always have always will.
View Quote
Even with a LTCH? Knowing Ohio I guess that doesn't surprise me. I think you guys have come a long ways as it is.

Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Even with a LTCH? Knowing Ohio I guess that doesn't surprise me. I think you guys have come a long ways as it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can only have 1 gun to hunt with.  Your CCW is for self protection only - not for hunting game.  

So you can CCW all you want, but your not allowed to hunt with your carry gun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You can only have 1 gun to hunt with.  Your CCW is for self protection only - not for hunting game.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have to wonder what's going on in the heads of the politicians/bureaucrats that come up with these stupid rules.  We haven't been perfect ourselves but at least next year it's opening up to most HPR's. (it's a done deal, just has to finish going through the process)

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 1:10:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Would it kill the animal ? - most likely would dispatch a deer with the right ammo and a precise shot
Would it kill the animal quick enough ?  Unlikely

Most states have laws on handgun hunting that state .357 mag of larger caliber , and at minimum a 5" barrel.
I have taken multiple deer (5) over a 5 year period with different handguns

You can kill a deer with a .22 , the real answer is should you ?!
View Quote

Well said; I'd second that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top