Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2014 3:02:32 PM EDT
Hey all!

I am starting up my own deer camp this year and need a few items to make it complete.  One thing is a decent vacuum sealer for the meat.  I have used zip locs but they don't eliminate all the air and can be expensive.  Butcher paper can allow for a lot of freezer burns.

I'm looking for something that is affordable yet effective.  All suggestions would be helpful!

Mike
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a small vacuum sealer.  I use it a lot but I would suggest spending a little money on one and get one that is a little heavy duty.  My opinion
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
GameSaver Silver

Meant for repetitive use.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Weston Pro 2300 you will not regret it. Unless you're looking to spend the $$$ on a chamber vacuum sealer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I doubt I can afford to spend $200+ on a vacuum sealer with all the other expenses of starting a new deer camp but thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything food saver can't handle lots of seals at once.  I have a Cabelas commercial grade vacum sealer and it makes my old foodsaver laughable.

Weston/Cabelas brand or nothing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I doubt I can afford to spend $200+ on a vacuum sealer with all the other expenses of starting a new deer camp but thanks for the advice.
View Quote

Then package the old way IMO.  It will just piss you off if you buy a cheaper one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I just ground a whole deer last weekend and did 80 packages with my lower end food saver. It overheated about every 15 packages. I'm looking to buy a new higher power one. Splurge a little and buy a good one, or wait till you can afford the good one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought the best one Walmart sells a few years ago.  Works great, money well spent.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Weston Pro 2300 you will not regret it. Unless you're looking to spend the $$$ on a chamber vacuum sealer.
View Quote

Minimum of this.  I've got one and it's been reliable, and is rated for continuous use.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Then package the old way IMO.  It will just piss you off if you buy a cheaper one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep...

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 1:14:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been using a Foodsaver for almost 10 years.  It isn't the best, but it's all I've known.  Haven't used it much the last couple of years as I've switched to pressure canning most of my meat.

If I was buying again, I'd go with something from Cabelas or Weston.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:48:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I use this one. After reading hit or miss reviews on the cheaper ones I just spent the extra money from the get go. cabelas
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Minimum of this.  I've got one and it's been reliable, and is rated for continuous use.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After my third "good" sealer died I bought the Weston Pro 2300. It flat out rocks.

Others in your camp will benefit from it being there. Have each of them pitch in $25 and get it. You will not be sorry you did.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree on the Cabela's commercial grade machine.  Ours is a few years old now and it is just rock solid after sealing hundreds of fish fillets.  

We originally bought one of the "affordable" Food Savers and is was an absolute piece of crap!  Broke after one season of use and we threw it out.  Bought the heavy-duty Cabela's model and it is great.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:12:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I agree on the Cabela's commercial grade machine.  Ours is a few years old now and it is just rock solid after sealing hundreds of fish fillets.  

We originally bought one of the "affordable" Food Savers and is was an absolute piece of crap!  Broke after one season of use and we threw it out.  Bought the heavy-duty Cabela's model and it is great.

View Quote

The Cabelas commercial grade is the Weston 2300...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top