Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 11:26:41 AM EDT
Michigan's youth hunt is this coming Saturday and Sunday. My daughter turned 8 2 weeks ago and is going to hunt. Im so excited. She is going to use my AR. We have been shooting various different ammo over the last few weeks. Shes pretty good can consistently hit in a 3" circle with open sites at 60 yards so Im confident she can hit the target. Still not convinced on which ammo to use and have read all the treads. I just want the deer to drop for her. Any suggestions would be appreciated as were hitting the range one last time tomorrow. Will post pics if shes successful:)........Good luck to all the youth hunters this weekend!!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#1]
best of luck stay safe!  hunt pics requested.  

ammo:  Nosler partition 60gr or Barnes TSX
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#2]
She turned 82! Weeks ago! and you are just now letting us know! How old are you?

Just kidding.

I hunt whitetail with my Colt 6920, iron sights, around 25 - 100 meters max. I have never had a deer run more than a few meters. I always aim chest center mass and spend a few days at the range zeroing on the ammo that I will be shooting. Any hunting round or self defence round will work fine. It is shot placement. Though I "feel" that the heavier rounds had a flatter trajectory and was more lethal because of the consistant shot placement at different ranges.

With a lower caliber round, weight shouldn't affect recoil much. Just zero in the same conditions that you will be hunting, early, damp, cold, ect. Have her shoot targets at different ranges and see if she understands where to aim.

Recomendation, have your gun out there too and be ready to make a follow up shot. It's not fair to let an animal suffer.

Good luck. Great to hear about your trip. My daughter is 6 and will be starting to shoot with me soon.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:57:59 AM EDT
[#3]
How did you guys do Op?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top